pl light grow plus purple fluro

• Thread starter oetzi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

oetzi

pl light SOG grow - how much purple light is ideal?

Heya! I am planning a little side project, and wanted to try out these new Pl lamps over some sog style grow. In this post:
http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/189685-best-stealth-lighting-system-pl-ftw.html
they also mention the use of purple lights. Now, I have seen that kinda light in aquarium or reptile shops, I just don't know how much of it is too much. Anyone has some experiance in this. I was just gonna place a purple tube in between each PL bulb, but I have no idea waht to expect from that $)

thanks in advance for any hint you may have to offer

O

oetzi

ok, maybe I didn't say this right, let me try again:
what is the right amount of purple light to add to a grow?

C

chief greenleaf

I think your talkin about ultra violet lights or UV lamps that are used in reptile cages. Theres alot of evidence that shows that these lights cause a drastic increase resin production due to the cannabis plants natural instinct to protect itself from the harmful UV rays. Cannabis uses resin glands as a kind of sunscreen and will produce more when exposed to high levels of UV rays. This is why herb grown outdoors at high altitudes tends to have a higher resin content.
I dont know a ton about UVs and cannabis but Ive done a lil research, there's a lot of side by side grows and other threads out there on this topic so def read up.
From what I understand you wanna get the UV reptile lamps that put out the highest concentration of ultraviolet rays. Sun Pulse also makes new HID bulbs that put off very high levels of UV but have to be run in a seperate ballast like any other hps/mh.
The suns puts out the highest amount of UV rays at mid day so during 12/12 when your plants start to show visible resin production set your UV lamps to come on 3 hours after your HPS lights come on to simulate the intense sunlight at mid day. Then turn off the UV lamps 3 hours before the lights go out for a total of 6 hours of UV light a day.
Ive also read that UV can actually diminish THC content when used at the end of the flower cycle when the resin glands are mature. Which makes sense because outdoors in Autumn when Cannabis is naturally maturing the sunlight is much less intense than in the beginning and middle of the season. So Id get rid of the UV light for the last week or 2 of flowering. BUT! At the same time the new UV lights from Sun Pulse are recommended for use in the last 2 weeks of flowering! So this is some contradicting stuff that you shold just do your reseach on cuz I really have no idea but good luck man, hope this helps!

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

i think the absolute best light you can get is a 600w hps (90,000 lumens) and a pl delta or medium reflector. anything else is wasting energy, light, quality and yield.

C

chief greenleaf

Yea 600s are def the most efficent lights ta use w/out a doubt. Only time Id use 1000s is in a vertical bulb set up growin big ass trees. Thats the only thing they have on 600s is canopy penetration. But he wasnt talkin about usin UV lights for primary lighting. Everybody uses HPS during flower because our plants respond the best to that spectrum of light during that cycle of their growth. But the only problem with HPS is that it doesnt produce any UV rays. Scientists have found out that Cannabis uses resin to protect itself. It keeps some animals and pests from feeding on it, it also helps the female catch the male pollen because its so sticky. But it also uses the resin as a sun screen to protect itself from harmful UV rays. The more stress or UV rays a plant is exposed to the more resin it will produce. Some people even beat up plants and break branches to increase resin production! I dont recommend this but supposedly it works! So since HPS lighting doesnt put off any UV rays you can supplement your HPS with small UV lamps which will cause your girls to produce more THC. On your next grow put a couple UV lamps on one side of the gatden and not on the other. At the end of the grow youll be able to visibly notice the increase in resin production on the side that had UV lights. There's some good side by side grow journals like this on the web if you google it.

O

oetzi

awesome chief greenleaf, that was just the information i was looking for. thank you!
I am not using uv's as my only lights, this is just to experiment with, don't wanna mess up my big trees ;)
There is so much more to explore, we barely scratched the surface. I have fun with this kinds stuff..
peace

C

chief greenleaf

Well Im glad I could be of service Oetzi! Dont worry bout messin anything up, as long as you have plenty of primary lighting you should be able ta add as much UV as ya want. You might wanna do some research on runnin em during the final 2 weeks tho, Ive heard some mixed reviews on that subject. Some say theyll actually degrade THC content in the last week when the trichs are mature and some say that UVs increase resin production when used in the last 2 weeks. So that ones up ta you dog, good luck. Id love ta see a journal with UVs used only on one side of the garden so we can see how much defference there is in the resin content of the 2 sides ya know...

O

oetzi

Sorry for opening this up again. I never got to building anything, but a friend of mine wants to start now with my plans of a fluro scrog with added uvb.
There are still some questions open, I appreciate all feedback you gentlemen and woman have here.
1) Can the 2' uvb fixtures be at the same horizontal level as th other floros?
He would like to stick a single strip of uvb in between the other floru-lamps.
So like this arrangement:
Shoplamp-uvb-shoplamp-uvb-shoplamp-uvb-shoplamp

Bulbs are available in 5 or 10 uvb, what is the deal with this one,:
http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/uvb-flourescent-bulbs.htm
Is it really 5x stronger than this one?:
http://www.petmountain.com/show_pro...e=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=507367

Is that 50 uvb too much for my arrangement, cause the light are pretty close tot he plants?

Ok, so there are plenty bulbs, and they all seem to be the 'NO' kind, but all single strip fixtures for a 2' lamp he can find are the HO (high output) kind:
http://www.specialty-lights.com/960315.html
Will that burn out the uvb bulbs faster?

Thank you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom