planning a 4x4x8 DIY

• Thread starter mcfrancis420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mcfrancis420

i plan to make a 4x4x8 grow "room" out of a 2x2&2x4 frame panneled with 1/2" sturdy foam insulation board lined with a reflective insulation on the inside, (colorado winter grow in garage). now i would like any advice on well any thing from media to lighing to misc accesories.

the optimal set up for what i have decided is either a 4 plant or a 3 plant, i plan to line the walls of the inside with the relective insulation along with a extreme underbrush supplement of four 4bulb t8's. (yeah i kno 5's are better but im limited on money and already own most of my need supplies). the canopy will be lit with two 400w hps supplemented with about a dozen (large) cfls in strategic places during flowr but im not useing all of it for veg. veg may be more along the lines of 1 hps and 2 t8's to save on power. now as for the media i use a special blend of coco and #3&#4 perlite mixed in in a 60% coco 40% perlite mixture and a 2 inch layer of strickly perlite every 8 inches in 5 gallon buckets. but ive always used that for 20-30 plant grows, i was thinking of doing something similar but doing a larger pot.

on to venilation, because this is going to be a winter grow and i have no exp with the set up im using i have not decided exactly i will be tackilg the problem on the sub zero nights, because of my work and life schedual it will be a reversed day night ( lights on pm and off am.) to conserve on heat, honestly i was considering piping the intake from inside my house so it pumped in the 70F air in.

as for nutrients i have only ever used techiflora line in soil, soil-less and hydro/aero so i will most likely stick with what i kno becaus ei have my ppms diled in after years of use but a few good testimonials leaning to something new may sway me. i am pretty ghetto-fab when it comes to watering my ladies. i dont use tap water because its actually more cost effective to will 5gal deep roks at walmarts filling stations because the tap water where i live is barely safe to drink at 2700-3500 ppm and a ph that swings so widly it cancels it self out! LOL

now as for growing styles i have tried it all from ornemental shaped "bonzi" style growing to a simple lollipop and of course scrog and arm plants but this will be by far one of the smallest full size plant grows i have done so im not sure how i want to do this, so much input would be great lol.

now being as i have dabbed almost 2 grams as i wrote this and took some personal notes i cannot think of anything else to include as of now in this current stage.

like i stated before im looking for any and all input so please add to it.
:cigar:

budm

budm

What strain(s) you planning on? I'm currently in week 3 flowering 2 Pineapple Express in a 4.5 x 4.5 area under 1k HPS. I vegged for 90 days (from seed), LST'd, Topped and Supercropped to fill out my scrog. I'm in 5 gallon airpots, 70/30 coco/perilite mix, feeding DTW. So far, the girls are very happy and I'm looking at my best pull to date.

Prior to this setup I used to run an RDWC system. DIY UC system actually. I've configured it as a 4 site system and even as a 9 site in the same 4.5 x 4.5 area. For me, the lower plant count and longer veg period seem to be working very well. The canopy is very even, screen is filled, and there's plenty of room for air movement - above and below the screen.

Good idea about pulling air from the house if you can do that. Not only will it allow you to regulate temps a little better on those cold nights, but the CO2 levels in your house are usually higher than outside air so you get a free CO2 bump as well. :-)

M

mcfrancis420

What strain(s) you planning on? I'm currently in week 3 flowering 2 Pineapple Express in a 4.5 x 4.5 area under 1k HPS. I vegged for 90 days (from seed), LST'd, Topped and Supercropped to fill out my scrog. I'm in 5 gallon airpots, 70/30 coco/perilite mix, feeding DTW. So far, the girls are very happy and I'm looking at my best pull to date.

Prior to this setup I used to run an RDWC system. DIY UC system actually. I've configured it as a 4 site system and even as a 9 site in the same 4.5 x 4.5 area. For me, the lower plant count and longer veg period seem to be working very well. The canopy is very even, screen is filled, and there's plenty of room for air movement - above and below the screen.

Good idea about pulling air from the house if you can do that. Not only will it allow you to regulate temps a little better on those cold nights, but the CO2 levels in your house are usually higher than outside air so you get a free CO2 bump as well. :)

as for strain that is undecided. chances are its gonna be something from raredankness seeds on account of my dispensary sell their seeds, so what ever i like when i am finished with teh build i suppose.

i have some exp with RDWC i made a 9 plant system and a 6 plant system feeding from 110gal resivoirs. all of my grows have all been DIY im a contractor so these things come easy.

budm

budm

as for strain that is undecided. chances are its gonna be something from raredankness seeds on account of my dispensary sell their seeds, so what ever i like when i am finished with teh build i suppose.

i have some exp with RDWC i made a 9 plant system and a 6 plant system feeding from 110gal resivoirs. all of my grows have all been DIY im a contractor so these things come easy.

The reason I was asking about strain is because IMO your strain selection should also affect your growing style. That's why I went with P.E. and scrog this round - P.E. is very branchy and well suited for maximizing yields via scrog.

It sounds like you have decided on a coco grow with 3-4 plants, which should work well for that sized area unless you are planning on growing trees. I didn't see any questions in your original post, so I just responded with my experiences in a similarly sized veg area. If you have specific questions, ask away. Most people here at the Farm are very helpful!

Good luck with your build out and remember the 7 P's... Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

BrianDirt

BrianDirt

I am also running a 4x4x8 funny that this is still a micro grow, I remember my micro grow on here was in a 2x2x4 lol. Here are a few pics,400 hps,organic, 5 gal 4 plants veg 60 from seed 3 dif strains day 48 in pics . Could fit 6 to 8 depending on size, could do 2 trained 20 gal pots too.

Grow 012
Grow 013
Grow 001

Latest posts

Top Bottom