planning ahead to next season

• Thread starter DankVinci
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DankVinci

DankVinci

I'm cultivating some purple Punch and Sour Diesel this season, it's my first grow. As I learn about this process, I'm starting to notice how important using good quality products are. with my location I chose to grow Autoflower. The first month inside under lights, and then move them outside for the rest of the time. My questions to all you farmers out there is what is your potting soil of choice? thanks in advance for the answers.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

My questions to all you farmers out there is what is your potting soil of choice?
I think that depends on the growing method. I'm working toward doing organic growing. So, I am using a mixture of Fox Farm Happy Frog and Fox Farm Ocean Forest in a 1:1 ratio. To that, I add perlite and rice hulls at about 20% of the total. I then amend Gaia Green All Purpose at 2 or 3 tablespoons per gallon. Earth worm castings and Mycorrhizae are also helpful.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I'm cultivating some purple Punch and Sour Diesel this season, it's my first grow. As I learn about this process, I'm starting to notice how important using good quality products are. with my location I chose to grow Autoflower. The first month inside under lights, and then move them outside for the rest of the time. My questions to all you farmers out there is what is your potting soil of choice? thanks in advance for the answers.
I'm a believer in mixing different soils together. When I buy 20lbs bags (or heavier) I'll always get "one of those and one of these....". Different formulas/mixes could be complimentary. Then I'll mix in some perlite, vermiculite, coco coir, worm castings, etc, etc....

DankVinci

DankVinci

I think that depends on the growing method. I'm working toward doing organic growing. So, I am using a mixture of Fox Farm Happy Frog and Fox Farm Ocean Forest in a 1:1 ratio. To that, I add perlite and rice hulls at about 20% of the total. I then amend Gaia Green All Purpose at 2 or 3 tablespoons per gallon. Earth worm castings and Mycorrhizae are also helpful.
Great info, thanks for responding.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm a believer in mixing different soils together. When I buy 20lbs bags (or heavier) I'll always get "one of those and one of these....". Different formulas/mixes could be complimentary. Then I'll mix in some perlite, vermiculite, coco coir, worm castings, etc, etc....
This is where we differ ... advanced farmers can mix their own. Newbies should probably start with a professionally made mix. Here are my favorites in order of preference ...

1) Roots Organic "Lush" - I used to use only this until its price jumped recently. I was paying $18 per 1.5 CF. It recently went to $24 for a 1.5 CF bag.
2) Roots Organic "Original" - This is fast becoming my favorite mix. I can pick it up locally for under $14 per 1.5 CF. I do amend the soil with Roots Organic Terp Teas and Roots Organic "Elemental." The end results are very similar to "Lush" when amended like I mentioned.
3) Fox Farm "Ocean Forest" - My knock against Ocean Forest is they are not using dolomite for buffering. Instead, they are using oyster shell. It works but takes a bit longer for the buffering to activate.
4) Fox Farm "Happy Frog" - Great right out of the bag if you add perlite. Its a little weaker than the others as far as nutrients so you will end up feeding it more often. Happy Frog uses dolomite for buffering and isn't as hot. Otherwise, the 2 Fox Farm products are pretty similar.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
This is where we differ ... advanced farmers can mix their own. Newbies should probably start with a professionally made mix. Here are my favorites in order of preference ...

1) Roots Organic "Lush" - I used to use only this until its price jumped recently. I was paying $18 per 1.5 CF. It recently went to $24 for a 1.5 CF bag.
2) Roots Organic "Original" - This is fast becoming my favorite mix. I can pick it up locally for under $14 per 1.5 CF. I do amend the soil with Roots Organic Terp Teas and Roots Organic "Elemental." The end results are very similar to "Lush" when amended like I mentioned.
3) Fox Farm "Ocean Forest" - My knock against Ocean Forest is they are not using dolomite for buffering. Instead, they are using oyster shell. It works but takes a bit longer for the buffering to activate.
4) Fox Farm "Happy Frog" - Great right out of the bag if you add perlite. Its a little weaker than the others as far as nutrients so you will end up feeding it more often. Happy Frog uses dolomite for buffering and isn't as hot. Otherwise, the 2 Fox Farm products are pretty similar.
Yeah that's fine, there are plenty of "all in one" soils that will do just fine. Everyone talks about the Fox/Frog stuff, I've never actually seen it in places that sell soils. But it doesn't take a lot to mix various things together......80% soils, 20% "other". Check Ph, keep track of things. Once the indoor mixes are spent they can be tossed outside, mixed into the ground for other things.

I was never able to build my own soil years ago in an apartment. I had to use whatever I could find at the supermarket, garden shop.....not too many 30lb. bags in New York City......now that we've got the house/property I've got the space and resources to make mixes. Next up is a compost bin. I don't know about adding cow manure indoors......there's enough really nutrient rich stuff to use without dealung with that. ;)

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

I’ve used OF and HF, I actually prefer Strawberry fields after the past few grows, also trying the lucky dog peat moss as well now, had PH issues in HF, and the OF had bugs both times I tried it

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yeah that's fine, there are plenty of "all in one" soils that will do just fine. Everyone talks about the Fox/Frog stuff, I've never actually seen it in places that sell soils. But it doesn't take a lot to mix various things together......80% soils, 20% "other". Check Ph, keep track of things. Once the indoor mixes are spent they can be tossed outside, mixed into the ground for other things.

I was never able to build my own soil years ago in an apartment. I had to use whatever I could find at the supermarket, garden shop.....not too many 30lb. bags in New York City......now that we've got the house/property I've got the space and resources to make mixes. Next up is a compost bin. I don't know about adding cow manure indoors......there's enough really nutrient rich stuff to use without dealung with that. ;)

I'd still suggest new growers buy a potting mix already made up for plants that grow in almost neutral soil ... that's most plants so that part isn't hard. Once a grower has some experience and knows what they need and where to source it, then yes, by all means make your own. By then, you know what you want as far as texture and drainage properties, and you have the experience to make educated choices.

Yes, I know ... if its not available, then you need to improvise. I'd still be looking for a recipe that's been proven for cannabis ... Like Sub Cools super soil mix. The recipe can be found in 2 versions ... the large one where you're making 100 gallons or more of a mix, and the small version that brings the measurements down to quantities an indoor hobby gardener is more likely to utilize.

Edit: I've not tried Strawberry Fields yet. I probably wouldn't start seeds in it but for flowering? It's probably a great choice since it was made to address the needs of flowering plants.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I'd still suggest new growers buy a potting mix already made up for plants that grow in almost neutral soil ... that's most plants so that part isn't hard. Once a grower has some experience and knows what they need and where to source it, then yes, by all means make your own. By then, you know what you want as far as texture and drainage properties, and you have the experience to make educated choices.

Yes, I know ... if its not available, then you need to improvise. I'd still be looking for a recipe that's been proven for cannabis ... Like Sub Cools super soil mix. The recipe can be found in 2 versions ... the large one where you're making 100 gallons or more of a mix, and the small version that brings the measurements down to quantities an indoor hobby gardener is more likely to utilize.

Edit: I've not tried Strawberry Fields yet. I probably wouldn't start seeds in it but for flowering? It's probably a great choice since it was made to address the needs of flowering plants.
I run start to finish in SF this is my 2nd run, I do add about 4 cups of perlite per about 5gallon bucket I prefer it a bit looser it dries out a bit more evenly with the added perlite from what I’ve found besides that it’s a great medium I treat at as if it’s un-amended from the start I really do like it but being a blend of peat and coco I wanted to try 100% peat which is why I’m running one is SF and one in LD

Top Bottom