Planning perpetual...

• Thread starter DND
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DND

The title says it all and I would like some advice and insight.

I plan on running 4 Aquamist IV 16 site systems. Each system has a 2x2 footprint and I will run SOG.

Since the systems have a total footprint of 4x4 square I plan on putting it all in a 5x5 or 6x6 grow tent under a 1000W HPS enclosed in a Magnum XXXL 6" Air-Cooled Reflector.

I know it will be cramped in the grow tent, but the systems have pvc stands which I am going to modify with wheels so I can move them in/out, rearrange them as necessary. I've also been looking for tents that have openings on the front/back to make everything more accessible.

My goal is to harvest one system every 2 weeks with a yield of 1lb. A tall order, but I think with the right genetics and some dialing in...it can be done.

Now some questions...

Will a 1000W in that reflector be enough? I hear rave reviews about the even light distribution of the hood I mentioned which will be key. And to the plant it really shouldn't matter as long as they are getting even adequate light, right?

Would I be better off putting everything into a 4x8 tent under 2-1000W lights? The systems would be lined up in a row which would make it a 2x8 footprint. I can see the benefits of having more space to work and additional light is always good. But, if I can pull it off under 1 light why not?

I know some people will say why not just run a cheaper 4x4 E&F table using RW cubes or square pots with hydroton. The answer is, I'm tired of medium and I want to be able to customize the nutrients for every stage.

Can anyone recommend a strain that will produce 1oz going directly into 12/12 after being rooted? I need a strain that tastes well and has good medicinal qualities.

So there it is, I'm an open book!

D

DND

I forgot to mention that I will be using a Sentinel CHHC-1 to control temps, humidity and running CO2 @ 1500ppm. My point mainly is the atmospheric conditions will be in check along with CO2 should help increase yeilds.

G

GroHi

So, you're looking for 4lb per 1k... doubt that is going to really happen. There are those that do this regularly, but they are more than dialed into their respective systems/styles, w genetics & some skilz to boot. Don't take this the wrong way... I'm not in that category of grower either, just my perspective as it will take a bit to dial your project to those levels, that's all.

Personally feel you will have a hard time finding "quality" while also trying to pick a genetic yielder. Always seemed to be a trade-off in this respects... you can get some balance, but the massive yielding plants usually don't have all the qualities in smoke (taste/odor/high) that others might. Even w/in a line, you will have to find the "one", which will take time... maybe even several seed batches/test crops. I've only kept 3 mums & killed off dozens & dozens & dozens of candidate mums...

BTW, it is much easier to just run the entire crop at one time vs screwing around w 4 different batches each requiring something different. You'll always be doing tasks that could be done in one setting if running them all the same. It will be much less actual work over time. Done it myself, dropped it pretty quickly. Peace.

R

Rolln J

agreed - harvesting every 2 weeks under 1 k of light you would be hard pressed to get half of that as a noob...

more realist would be be harvesting monthly - BUT you have to figure that your plants about to harvest are gonna be taller then your ones that you are just putting in - so you will be making the new plants stretch like mad because the light will be too high - so the only way to be effective with this plan would be using 2 lights.

every 2 weeks is gonna make a lot of work - the harvest - the flip, then your harvesting again...

I know some guys who run a med grow with 10 lights - they were doing 5 lights every 30 days - they trashed that idea after 2 cycles.

D

DND

So, you're looking for 4lb per 1k... doubt that is going to really happen. There are those that do this regularly, but they are more than dialed into their respective systems/styles, w genetics & some skilz to boot. Don't take this the wrong way... I'm not in that category of grower either, just my perspective as it will take a bit to dial your project to those levels, that's all.

Personally feel you will have a hard time finding "quality" while also trying to pick a genetic yielder. Always seemed to be a trade-off in this respects... you can get some balance, but the massive yielding plants usually don't have all the qualities in smoke (taste/odor/high) that others might. Even w/in a line, you will have to find the "one", which will take time... maybe even several seed batches/test crops. I've only kept 3 mums & killed off dozens & dozens & dozens of candidate mums...

BTW, it is much easier to just run the entire crop at one time vs screwing around w 4 different batches each requiring something different. You'll always be doing tasks that could be done in one setting if running them all the same. It will be much less actual work over time. Done it myself, dropped it pretty quickly. Peace.

1lb every 2 weeks from 16 plants is what I'm aiming for under a 1K light. Thanks for your input.

D

DND

agreed - harvesting every 2 weeks under 1 k of light you would be hard pressed to get half of that as a noob...

more realist would be be harvesting monthly - BUT you have to figure that your plants about to harvest are gonna be taller then your ones that you are just putting in - so you will be making the new plants stretch like mad because the light will be too high - so the only way to be effective with this plan would be using 2 lights.

every 2 weeks is gonna make a lot of work - the harvest - the flip, then your harvesting again...

I know some guys who run a med grow with 10 lights - they were doing 5 lights every 30 days - they trashed that idea after 2 cycles.

I'm no noob to growing, just a noob to perpetual growing and using these systems. I have a similar DIY aeroponic system now with 32 sites running under a 1K, but I want to scale down to 16 plants per system and try perpetual.

I'm thinking using the 4x8 tent with 2k in it will be better now that I'm thinking of it. More light and more room to work are the main advantages. I'm going to go strain hunting and run my one system in my 4x4 with 1k and see if I can get it dialed in. From there all I should have to do is just scale up. I'm going to try Mosca's Fly Hooker and Twilight if I find some decent mothers, but I have some AK-47 ready to go already. Still open to suggestions.

D

DND

Just some pics of what I'm running now. I haven't taken pics for about 3 weeks because of security concerns with another site, but these are already out there. From clones to 4 weeks flowering. POG is the strain. Picture quality is poor because they were all taken from my camera phone.

IMG00241 20090912 0514
IMG00248 20090912 0518
IMG00324 20090927 2324
IMG00381 20091007 0336
IMG00403 20091011 1538
IMG 0127
Picture 003
D

DND

your getting a pound out of one of thoe cloners?

Yeah, POG is a heavy yielder especially if you let it go 9 weeks. 14g a plant is low IMO with this strain. I've ran it many times before and to be honest it's not a good candidate for SOG. Too many branches and the huge indica leaves shade other plants with the high density. There are 2 other plants in there that were mothers and donated these cuts, when they finish I wouldn't be surprised if they yield 3-4oz a piece.

B

BayAreasFinest

i hope hes talking about getting 3-4 zips from his mothers. cuz theres not way hes pulling 6-8 pounds in that 32 plant cloner

R

Rolln J

I dont think theres any way hes getting a lb in that cloner - period!

B

BayAreasFinest

its only a half ounce a plant. but im sure he is pulling more around 10 grams a plant.

R

Rolln J

I think thats a high end estimate - I just think its not worth having over 100 plants under 1k light - feds get happy with anything over 99!

B

BayAreasFinest

o i agree. i dont know how much i believe this guy or agree with his plan. if u want to do a perpetual and harvest a p every 2 weeks i wud do 1k over a 4x4 in a tent. 4 of them

D

DND

If you guys reread my post, I did say the 2 mother plants that are flowering will probably yield 3-4oz a piece and the ones in the aero tub will yield 14g per plant. Of cousre these are just educated guesses based on what I have seen before from running this strain. I will know for sure in 14-21 days.

J calls this system a cloner and it can be used as such, but obviously if it can grow 32 plants to maturity it's legit right? High density SoG? Watch seemorebuds 15lbs in 80 days, he runs 3 systems with a 2x4 system like this with 96 plants under 4-600W HPS and pulls nearly 5lbs from a 4x6 room. That's 23g a plant, what's hard to believe about 14g in this setup? In that same video he show a plant that was in a 2" netpot that yielded almost 2oz by itself. I'm not trying to brag on myself or promote anything here, just pointing out that it can and has been done. I'm here to learn and share like everyone else!

In my plans for perpetual, my plant count would never go over 96. That in includes plants flowering, in clone and harvest with 80 being the normal after drying.

G

GroHi

You're about 10 years behind the current medi-grows!

All they're trying to point out is that you can be more successful while keeping the plant counts to a minimum.

You want a perpetual SOG, in it's true form... it is just a pain in the ass & highly illegal. Why make things so very tough on yourself?!? That's the point, that's all. Be safe brother!

Latest posts

Top Bottom