Plans for First Grow Space

• Thread starter DAZDnCONFSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DAZDnCONFSD

DAZDnCONFSD

I've finally decided to try my hand at my first grow.

Goal
Growing for personal use only. Between me and my better half, we'd probably go through 3/4 - 1oz a month max and I'm hoping grow up to 3 plants/strains at time just to have some options/varieties. So hoping for 1oz per plant. Also, I am looking to keep smell as contained as possible while space is closed. As such I'm leaning towards building a cabinet rather than using a tent.

Grow Space
My plan is to build a cabinet/box with a 3' x 3' x 6' grow space made out of MDF. Not sure if 1/2" or 3/4" so I'll have to research that aspect a bit more. I'm not sure if this is overkill for our goals.

Lights
Mars Hydro TSW2000

Intake/Exhaust
Vivosun 6" inline fan with carbon filter

Grow Medium
I'll be trying Coco/Perlite in 2 or 3gal SmartPots

Nutrition
GH Trio or Canna if I go with their coco.

Does my approach make sense? Should I change anything? Look forward to the feedback.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Do yourself a favor and take a few weeks and just read the forums. Dive into grow diaries and read everything you can. Several hours a day. Then once you’re done reading do it some more. I’m not saying your plan won’t work however jumping in feet first is a great recipe for frustration and disaster. Knowledge is free and there’s a decade or more of it here. Don’t make the same mistakes others have paid handsomely for. Learn from their mistakes.

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
I've finally decided to try my hand at my first grow.

Goal
Growing for personal use only. Between me and my better half, we'd probably go through 3/4 - 1oz a month max and I'm hoping grow up to 3 plants/strains at time just to have some options/varieties. So hoping for 1oz per plant. Also, I am looking to keep smell as contained as possible while space is closed. As such I'm leaning towards building a cabinet rather than using a tent.

Grow Space
My plan is to build a cabinet/box with a 3' x 3' x 6' grow space made out of MDF. Not sure if 1/2" or 3/4" so I'll have to research that aspect a bit more. I'm not sure if this is overkill for our goals.

Lights
Mars Hydro TSW2000

Intake/Exhaust
Vivosun 6" inline fan with carbon filter

Grow Medium
I'll be trying Coco/Perlite in 2 or 3gal SmartPots

Nutrition
GH Trio or Canna if I go with their coco.

Does my approach make sense? Should I change anything? Look forward to the feedback.

Keep on keepin on buddy. You will find that you will adapt and upgrade as you go along.. Thats what happened to me anyway.. Lots of different routes to take to find success. I would perhaps suggest more airflow/humidity control.. Air movement and RH are big. It was something I forgot to consider too..

HighestCut

HighestCut

That all looks good, you will get more than 1oz per plant, but you can share with friends :)

save yourself headache and just buy a tent, so much better than any diy.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
That all looks good, you will get more than 1oz per plant, but you can share with friends :)

save yourself headache and just buy a tent, so much better than any diy.
I've never had a tent and my DYI works very well, I'd find tents too confining, I have room to move around my 5x5 panels to give me more space if I need it I only have 5 ft under my light so I keep plants short. I use black out curtains around each room to isolate the light. I don't get heat build up with my 1000w hps because I'm open air.

If I had a large 8x8x8 tent sure great but the closet tents I see most with are too confining for my growing, with fans & dehumidifier.

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
I've never had a tent and my DYI works very well, I'd find tents too confining, I have room to move around my 5x5 panels to give me more space if I need it I only have 5 ft under my light so I keep plants short. I use black out curtains around each room to isolate the light. I don't get heat build up with my 1000w hps because I'm open air.

If I had a large 8x8x8 tent sure great but the closet tents I see most with are too confining for my growing, with fans & dehumidifier.View attachment 961480View attachment 961482View attachment 961491View attachment 961494

Im with you there... I actually wound up cutting one of my tents apart and using it for a door and sticking it on my closet...(I could of used panda film, but I liked the zipper and mylar) I found that my tent was restricting those precious few inches and feet. With enough planning and effort, you can really optimize the space to work best for you

DAZDnCONFSD

DAZDnCONFSD

Do yourself a favor and take a few weeks and just read the forums. Dive into grow diaries and read everything you can. Several hours a day. Then once you’re done reading do it some more. I’m not saying your plan won’t work however jumping in feet first is a great recipe for frustration and disaster. Knowledge is free and there’s a decade or more of it here. Don’t make the same mistakes others have paid handsomely for. Learn from their mistakes.
I will definitely keep reading. I'm certainly more of hands on type of person so im super anxious to start. Might start with a small tent kit and working way up to this

DAZDnCONFSD

DAZDnCONFSD

Keep on keepin on buddy. You will find that you will adapt and upgrade as you go along.. Thats what happened to me anyway.. Lots of different routes to take to find success. I would perhaps suggest more airflow/humidity control.. Air movement and RH are big. It was something I forgot to consider too..
Control of temp & RH are something I've been trying to figure out how I will approach. I actually just placed temp/rh data logger in our garage, where the grow area will be, to get an understanding of what that looks like.

Top Bottom