Plant Drooping After Introducing LED Growlight

• Thread starter inyumen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
inyumen

inyumen

Hey everyone. I have a 2 month old plant in veg, and she starts drooping everytime I try to introduce my LED growlight.
I'm currently growing with a 20 watt LED (aquarium one), and I tried to change it to the other closet with a ViparSpectreV300, but she starts drooping everytime. I've tried placing the light further away, and its sitting currently at more than 3 feet above the canopy, while the manufacturer recommends keeping at 20 inches in veg, but already started drooping. What should I do?
And I know for a fact that its not overwatering/under or nute problems, because under the other LED she's completely fine with the same watering schedules. She droops after 10-20 hours of changing her to the L.
Also, I've tried sprouting a seedling under that Vipar, but she already started drooping aswell at the recommended distance of 30 inches, so I placed the light at 3 feet until it starts to get better (if it does).

inyumen

inyumen

20210504 095524
20210504 095512

Here is the 2 month old plant after only 14 hours under the vipar at 3 feet

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Hey man, when this problem has been mentioned before i recall that the solution was to have the plant under the light anyway. It will be a short phase of adjusting to the light.

I would have Kept it under the lights and see two or three days later.

But you should await other opinions. I am not so experienced that I feel my advice qualifies as a stand alone

inyumen

inyumen

Hey man, when this problem has been mentioned before i recall that the solution was to have the plant under the light anyway. It will be a short phase of adjusting to the light.

I would have Kept it under the lights and see two or three days later.

But you should await other opinions. I am not so experienced that I feel my advice qualifies as a stand alone
Thanks for the reply,

I've posted this issue before but I've found that there were other issues I was doing wrong (feeding nutes, temps and watering) but now I'm absolutely sure its the light, since everything else is fine and I sprout a seedling directly under that light.
I've tried that with another plant that ended up dying, so I'm afraid to kill this plant by doing that aswell.. But if there isnt another way to go about this, sure I'll do it.

Thanks again

Kissing.mary

Kissing.mary

Too m much light for the plant to process so she droops to avoid.

the solution is to move the light further away alternately dim the light if you can..... or put some kind of shade netting over the plants, in between plant and light. until the plant feels comfortable with the amount of ppfd

inyumen

inyumen

Too m much light for the plant to process so she droops to avoid.

the solution is to move the light further away alternately dim the light if you can..... or put some kind of shade netting over the plants, in between plant and light. until the plant feels comfortable with the amount of ppfd

The vipar is already at the max height I can place it at, above 3 feet over the canopy (100cm). I cannot dim it because it doesnt have a dimmer.
Can I place the vipar at an angle so it directs the light to the wall and let the plant only get the reflection? Or would I be better just buying some type of shading "paper" that you put on car windows or something until the plant adapts?

Thanks for the reply

inyumen

inyumen

That plant is struggling for 2 months old. Looks over watered. 18/6 is easier on them than 24 hours veg. I couldn’t get 24 to work. It will adjust to your light, might take a couple days.
Only been struggling since I've placed it under the vipar for 10 hours, before that it was doing fine. Even now, only 5 hours after removing it from the vipar closet is coming back to shape, so don't think it's overwatered. I only water every 3-4 days when I see the soil dry, and It's already in a 18/6 schedule-
Thanks

inyumen

inyumen

Ok then. You need to leave it in there longer than 10 hours, it will turn around.

Just so you know, that plant has been struggling for longer than the 10 hours it seen from your led.
I'm kind of afraid to leave it there for longer because I already had another plant dying in the same conditions, but I'll try to place the place under the light for a few hours each day and increment those hours each day, that way it isnt that much of a shock.

Why do you say it's been struggling before?

Harvard

Harvard

I'm kind of afraid to leave it there for longer because I already had another plant dying in the same conditions, but I'll try to place the place under the light for a few hours each day and increment those hours each day, that way it isnt that much of a shock.

Why do you say it's been struggling before?
The yellowing and brown on the bottom leaves, it’s hard to judge size from a picture, but it should be a lot bigger for 8 weeks.
last but least, it just don’t look like it’s thriving, let alone happy. Cold roots?

inyumen

inyumen

The yellowing and brown on the bottom leaves, it’s hard to judge size from a picture, but it should be a lot bigger for 8 weeks.
last but least, it just don’t look like it’s thriving, let alone happy. Cold roots?
Oh ye, you're right, that happened when I tried to change the light to the Vipar aswell, a month ago, I also created a topic on this forum regarding the issue. Since then the plant has been recovering, but since I've burned a few leaves from stress with the light, they never recovered from it and the growth was stunned for a few weeks.
I have a heat mat below the pot, don't think the roots are cold since the air temps are fine aswell.

Harvard

Harvard

Oh ye, you're right, that happened when I tried to change the light to the Vipar aswell, a month ago, I also created a topic on this forum regarding the issue. Since then the plant has been recovering, but since I've burned a few leaves from stress with the light, they never recovered from it and the growth was stunned for a few weeks.
I have a heat mat below the pot, don't think the roots are cold since the air temps are fine aswell.
Still think a root zone issue in its life, which is hard to overcome. On my way to work, I’m out.

Kissing.mary

Kissing.mary

The vipar is already at the max height I can place it at, above 3 feet over the canopy (100cm). I cannot dim it because it doesnt have a dimmer.
Can I place the vipar at an angle so it directs the light to the wall and let the plant only get the reflection? Or would I be better just buying some type of shading "paper" that you put on car windows or something until the plant adapts?

Thanks for the reply
I had the same problem with an LED too bright too early on in development.... i was going to buy a shade netting a tie it over the canopy but instead,, i was blessed enough to have them out in the sun till they could cope a bit better with the intensity of the led light.

But they do have shade netting you can buy.. in hotter countries during mid summer when transplanting or planting out smaller plants the practice is to put them under shade netting for the same reason .. too much sun for a small plant..

Hope you find a solution.

inyumen

inyumen

I had the same problem with an LED too bright too early on in development.... i was going to buy a shade netting a tie it over the canopy but instead,, i was blessed enough to have them out in the sun till they could cope a bit better with the intensity of the led light.

But they do have shade netting you can buy.. in hotter countries during mid summer when transplanting or planting out smaller plants the practice is to put them under shade netting for the same reason .. too much sun for a small plant..

Hope you find a solution.
Thank you very much.

It's good to hear someone had the same issue I have now (not wishing anything bad to your girls lol).
I'm going to try placing the led at an angle so the light they receive is just the reflection and maybe a bit of directed light from the LED, and only placing the plant for 2 hours each day and incrementing the hours until I can have it on a full 18/6 schedule under it.

Thanks, will update this thread once I get all sorted out.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Any time you move a plant it will have to adjust, and I understand not wanting to lose her, so maybe get the light meter app so you can see how bright the light is. Then you can adjust it, I'd go with really low, like for a seedling, then gradually increase it.

inyumen

inyumen

Any time you move a plant it will have to adjust, and I understand not wanting to lose her, so maybe get the light meter app so you can see how bright the light is. Then you can adjust it, I'd go with really low, like for a seedling, then gradually increase it.
I got the app but even though the PAR measurement is on the lower side for a seedling, it still stresses the plant. I'll just need to adjust very slowly and get the rythme of the plant.

inyumen

inyumen

Also I found the app to not be accurate enough, It's still very helpful but just as a general idea of the light intensity

inyumen

inyumen

Right now my plan is the following:
- Seedling
Keep it under the vipar at 3 feet
Place the vipar at an angle so the light isnt directly towards the plant
Keep the humidity high to cope with transpiration of the leaves

- 2 Month Old Plant
Keep it under the 20w LED until it recovers fully (Maybe 3-5 days)
Slowly introduce the Vipar to it, by placing the plant in the vipar closet 2 hours each day, with the light at 3 feet and at a 45-60º angle directed at the wall
Add 1 hour under the Vipar each 1-2 days, and if she starts to stress again, reduce 1 hour again.
Whenever she gets to 18/6 without getting any stress, start to lean the light directly again at the plants
Decrease the distance from the canopy to the light by 2-4 inches every 2-3 days.

I'll keep you updated every week and see if I can pull this off. Any other recommendations are fully accepted and aprecciated.

Top Bottom