Plant Growth?

• Thread starter Nugg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nugg

Nugg

Looking for others thoughts.....
I guess the question is...some ppl.grow 100 plants with like 6-8 colas..tall, skinny, looking things..looks Kool on top,but nothing there...

Others grow 10 plants with 50 colas each,big full plants, using same amount of space....

So...are the buds/ thc% any better with a plant that only has a few buds over a plant that makes a lot a bud...

Or end result the same? And if the same,why so many plants then.?

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Looking for others thoughts.....
I guess the question is...some ppl.grow 100 plants with like 6-8 colas..tall, skinny, looking things..looks Kool on top,but nothing there...

Others grow 10 plants with 50 colas each,big full plants, using same amount of space....

So...are the buds/ thc% any better with a plant that only has a few buds over a plant that makes a lot a bud...

Or end result the same? And if the same,why so many plants then.?
My theory is more plants, less veg time, less training, less work, unless your watering them all by hand lol that might be a chore lol. I got 34 tops on my first plant gonna do 3 plants next time at half of my first runs veg time. On the quality I have no idea yet.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Yield can be increased with more kolas being able to absorb light more effectively over the canopy. Potency shouldn’t change if at all.

When growing indoors for yield you are trying to maximize the results over a given canopy space below the light. As the distance from the light increases the intensity decreases. So your goal is to pack the canopy as tightly as you can while getting good coverage for each bud site so it can fully develop.

This is why many indoor growers prefer scrog. By utilizing a screen you can fill out the canopy much easier. You can simulate this effect somewhat using other training techniques but scrog is the easiest way to achieve an even canopy and maximize your yield for any given light.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

In Ed Rosenthals grow book he says he tested thc levels on plants with different veg times. His results showed longer veg resulted in higher thc every time.

I have noticed a subtle difference in testing but have not vegged the same cutting different times enough to be sure.

My 6-8 week from seed plants have consistantly had more “legs” and possibly a fuller high/buzz than the 12/12 from seed plants.

Mrs. mmg just agreed. Maybe more complex flavors/smells too.

Nugg

Nugg

I understand the scrog..I cover a 6'×6' area with 4plants...I just see so many growing tall plants lollipoped..was starting to think maybe it put out better buds??I veg.45 days..this is 14 days after transition.

IMG 20190223 085616
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I understand the scrog..I cover a 6'×6' area with 4plants...I just see so many growing tall plants lollipoped..was starting to think maybe it put out better buds??I veg.45 days..this is 14 days after transition.

Just different methods to get the all the buds lit as well as possible.

I like to bend them to open them up and leave space around them under multiple lights for overlap and angles.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The guy who taught me to grow did 50 plants per 4x4 tray in 1 gallon pots. He flipped them immediately and lollipopped them and pulled about 1.5 lbs per tray under a 600, every 8 weeks. It's all about veg time and turnaround. Some guys will do 16 plants per 4x4, some do 9, some do one. All could potentially yield the same, only the veg time changes.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

In Ed Rosenthals grow book he says he tested thc levels on plants with different veg times. His results showed longer veg resulted in higher thc every time.

Do you know how much difference he showed (I don't have the book)? I have grown a lot of different veg times. I have never noticed a difference that was remarkable. I grew the exact same strains outside last year, one set of plants for the whole summer, one set in light deprivation after a one month veg. There was no perceptible difference.

Genetics, light quality/strength/spectrum and growing technique are far more influential than the length of veg time, IMHO.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Do you know how much difference he showed (I don't have the book)? I have grown a lot of different veg times. I have never noticed a difference that was remarkable. I grew the exact same strains outside last year, one set of plants for the whole summer, one set in light deprivation after a one month veg. There was no perceptible difference.

Genetics, light quality/strength/spectrum and growing technique are far more influential than the length of veg time, IMHO.

No im sorry i dont have the book anymore and i dont remember but he was using much lower potency strains back then.

And i agree with environment and grower making the most difference in every case.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Just different methods to get the all the buds lit as well as possible.

I like to bend them to open them up and leave space around them under multiple lights for overlap and angles.
I have noticed that plants that are allowed to fully finish have a better taste and I think they are slightly more potent. It could also be that the buds are slightly heavier. I try to insure that the light gets into the plants interior, which results in bigger and fatter buds. I use a combination of selective leaf thinning and stem manipulation to accomplish this. In my experience, it has worked well.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have noticed that plants that are allowed to fully finish have a better taste and I think they are slightly more potent. It could also be that the buds are slightly heavier. I try to insure that the light gets into the plants interior, which results in bigger and fatter buds. I use a combination of selective leaf thinning and stem manipulation to accomplish this. In my experience, it has worked well.

I agree fully with letting the buds go longer for more weight and potency. Complexity of effects too.

Top Bottom