Plant identification

• Thread starter soserthc1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
soserthc1

soserthc1

I was just brought these by a friend with only the details that they grow upside down after searching thru google with no luck , I figured to bring it here to my fellow farmers for identification and if its possible to clone (sure it is ) but which way . @nMEEKS or @Seamaiden are two that i know are quite familiar with other plants besides cannabis but anyone feel free to help me out . Also feel free to delete this thread any moderator after i receive my answer as to cut back on clutter ....

Thanks for any help in advance
Soser
Plant identification
Plant identification 2
Plant identification 3

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I agree, looks like papyrus that my mother grows in her ponds. When they 'flower' they make little... how would I describe them? They look like brushes on the ends of each little stalk.

It's an odd kind of grass, isn't it? Very cool, VERY pretty. You doin' ponds, soser? Whatcha got in 'em? Doing any other pond plants?

mr roboto

mr roboto

I bought these before and threw tit in my koi pond. Within a year it completely grew 10x its size and the brisles it grows arent that nice looking at all. Also it grew about 6 feet out of the deepest portion of the pond which is 3 feet deep. I ended up tossing it in the trash abut I guess it dropped seeds in the surrounding edges near the dirt and sprouted everythere and I couldnt seem to get rid of it for a few year , I just kept pulling them out the ground and a month later they are back again.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah! I didn't know what else to call it, so now I must go a-learn somethin' about what a sedge is. My mother's papyrus doesn't grow all that tall, maybe 4' at the most, so I'm thinking it must be a cultivar. I'm curious what species the Egyptians used to make paper.

soserthc1

soserthc1

I agree, looks like papyrus that my mother grows in her ponds. When they 'flower' they make little... how would I describe them? They look like brushes on the ends of each little stalk.

It's an odd kind of grass, isn't it? Very cool, VERY pretty. You doin' ponds, soser? Whatcha got in 'em? Doing any other pond plants?
Yes there exactly as you described and yes Sea I bought my current home 10 months ago and have added a pond and numerous plants all over the yard (better coverage for a plant or 5 that i sneak in between - vertically to the ground) I made the mistake of putting the pond in the lowest part of the yard so spend this summer making a trench around it as it was a rainy summer and water would go directly into pond . So I didn't plant anything in pond yet but this are going to make it in spring . I have 10 koi and a bunch of gold fish as the gold fish are very easy to maintain , cheap and grow big .

Does the papyrus root in water in the house and what is the ideal temp to added to the pond as its winter and 30% out so i threw it in a cup with rooting gel , was gonna toss it in my cloner but thought better of bring in plants that I don't know if breed bugs or have any problems with bugs looked clean but better safe than sorry

Thanks to all that helped me much appreciated

neverbreak

neverbreak

Ah! I didn't know what else to call it, so now I must go a-learn somethin' about what a sedge is. My mother's papyrus doesn't grow all that tall, maybe 4' at the most, so I'm thinking it must be a cultivar. I'm curious what species the Egyptians used to make paper.

papyrus is just the one species - cyperus papyrus. that's what the egyptians used. i expect the height has more to do with growin conditions than anything else. perhaps limited rootspace and sub-optimum temps.

Does the papyrus root in water in the house and what is the ideal temp to added to the pond as its winter and 30% out so i threw it in a cup with rooting gel , was gonna toss it in my cloner but thought better of bring in plants that I don't know if breed bugs or have any problems with bugs looked clean but better safe than sorry

Thanks to all that helped me much appreciated

i never actually tried myself bro, but i know that generally papyrus is propagated through either rhizome divisions or seed. is there any rhizome left on the end of those stalks? if not, not sure you'll be able to root them.

papyrus is tropical too bro. what conditions was yer friend growin it in? i would think if it's actually papyrus it would die back over winter.

neverbreak

soserthc1

soserthc1

papyrus is just the one species - cyperus papyrus. that's what the egyptians used. i expect the height has more to do with growin conditions than anything else. perhaps limited rootspace and sub-optimum temps.

i never actually tried myself bro, but i know that generally papyrus is propagated through either rhizome divisions or seed. is there any rhizome left on the end of those stalks? if not, not sure you'll be able to root them.

papyrus is tropical too bro. what conditions was yer friend growin it in? i would think if it's actually papyrus it would die back over winter.

neverbreak
Not really sure I will have to ask my daughters fiance brought them to me - just two stems as you see in picture been in water and are healthy no roots yet but look fine and yes tropical plants helps so they if root will stay in 2 spring then plant in pond and i'll get 3-4 months then they will die off but come back every year ?

neverbreak

neverbreak

not too sure bro. havin rhizomes i'm guessing they'll die back n go dormant, but that is just an educated guess. might be some info online about it u can find.

neverbreak

Top Bottom