Plant Leaves Dying From Bottom Up

• Thread starter Failtogrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Failtogrow

New grower here, leaves started turning yellow and withering from the bottom up. Read about nitrogen deficiency and gave them extra food last 2 feedings, to no avail. Leaves are growing fast and big, faster than those dying, but i'm still worried. Pic is plant and food, i've been alternating between sprinkling the food and mixing it with water. Ph is between 6 and 6.5. Any clues on what may be causing this?

Plant leaves dying from bottom up
Plant leaves dying from bottom up 2
Erick31876

Erick31876

Its normal for the bottom leaves to die. Your plant dont look bad, what kind of nutrients are you feeding it

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Overfeeding will show some minor tip burn. You're on the right track, but from the pic and you explaining you're new, I'd like to start with some simple Q's... (Welcome to the farm by the way)
Soil mix? What are you feeding? Lights? Environment? (temps, humidity, ventilation, etc) All there factors add up to assist in passing on greenthumb wisdom and direction. Start a diary yet? It will help you keep track and other farmers to follow along. Peace, check out some other growers diaries.
As far as lower leaves yellowing, older growth naturally dies off. Discoloration or mutation of new growth on top may indicate issues, along with more defined discoloration patterns or spotting on the seemingly healthy foliage.
There's some real helpful charts and descriptions to help you understand some general plant health hurdles. Some here on the farm and Google.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

From the pic....

Plant health ok. Soil needs aeration next time. Perlite to help drainage. Light source? I see you're training around the container. LST is great.

F

Failtogrow

Thanks for the recommendations, we've had some strong heat waves this couple days and we've been on complete lock-down, so ventilation was an issue, it's back to normal today, luckily. Temp is around 20 degrees Celsius on average. Plants get sunlight from around 8 in the morning until 6 in the afternoon, followed by a couple of hours of a 9V LED light a couple inches away which is my regular bedroom light, as the pots are next to my PC. Ventilation is pretty good (plants are constantly moving slightly due to wind and soil dries pretty fast). Regarding soil mix, bag says it's mostly perlite and peat but with some minor clay and sand. Nutrients are low on nitrogen, not an x-x-x more like and x-2x-2x, cannot remember exactly the numbers. I'm running low on it so i'm planning on replacing it with a high on N one as soon as it runs up. The plant is on it's 8th node and growing pretty fast but first 2 nodes look miserable, i guess i should relax as long as the lower leaves don't start suddenly dying hastily, right? Thanks for the LST comment :love2: it's going splendid. Do you guys recommend i top now? I topped another similar plant a week ago and it was successful.

C

Cezarbutwype

Thanks for the recommendations, we've had some strong heat waves this couple days and we've been on complete lock-down, so ventilation was an issue, it's back to normal today, luckily. Temp is around 20 degrees Celsius on average. Plants get sunlight from around 8 in the morning until 6 in the afternoon, followed by a couple of hours of a 9V LED light a couple inches away which is my regular bedroom light, as the pots are next to my PC. Ventilation is pretty good (plants are constantly moving slightly due to wind and soil dries pretty fast). Regarding soil mix, bag says it's mostly perlite and peat but with some minor clay and sand. Nutrients are low on nitrogen, not an x-x-x more like and x-2x-2x, cannot remember exactly the numbers. I'm running low on it so i'm planning on replacing it with a high on N one as soon as it runs up. The plant is on it's 8th node and growing pretty fast but first 2 nodes look miserable, i guess i should relax as long as the lower leaves don't start suddenly dying hastily, right? Thanks for the LST comment :love2: it's going splendid. Do you guys recommend i top now? I topped another similar plant a week ago and it was successful.

C

Cezarbutwype

Borage.
Is a herb plant called green nitrogen.
I use it in soil.
Ph,temp,humidity and soil moisture are critical.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

You can top anything after three nodes, IMO. Light source is gonna be critical once this plant takes off. Gonna complete the grow indoors/outdoors? This young, don't fret about the nutrients too much. High nitrogen, lower phosphates, moderate potassium. (NPK) micronutrients are essential also. My suggestions point to a solid light source. Either outdoors or set up at least a 100 watts of light for this one plant. Start looking into something. If you're planning to complete grow indoor, you must be able to control the light/dark cycles for flower.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I believe these same charts are on the farm somewhere. Quick reference to early detection. Once you identify an issue, searching for the remedy is that much easier.

Cc8f5a461afa468f9c8f6626a6e32414
7edb737f9136e775a032ab325183b605

Latest posts

Top Bottom