PLANT moisture meter NOT SOIL

• Thread starter GDub51
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GDub51

GDub51

I can't find PLANT moisture meters to measure DRIED FLOWERS. I know such things exist yet all searches for "plant moisture meter -soil" returns only SOIL meters! Google is not answering the phone (how convenient for them...just send your money and don't expect any service!) Can anybody recommend such a meter?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah I know they do I can't remember what they are called.

I do the same as @Beachwalker seal the contain with a hygrometer. I like 61-63% depending how ya smoking it you may want 58-60%

GDub51

GDub51

Thanks guy but a hygrometer measures EC across it's electrodes by INSERTING it into the medium. I"ve seen hygrometers with very short electrodes that I think are intended for this but??? Are you inserting the usual tri-meter probes INTO the bud?

GDub51

GDub51

Thanks guy but a hygrometer measures EC across it's electrodes by INSERTING it into the medium. I"ve seen hygrometers with very short electrodes that I think are intended for this but??? Are you inserting the usual tri-meter probes INTO the bud?
And there isn't a jar involved yet. I've just cut and hung and wish to measure the moisture content OF HANGING COLAS TO JUDGE WHEN TO CUT AND JAR. Yes I store/cure at 62 to 65RH when finished initial hang drying, I'm trying to nail down when to jar.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No just the cheapies. All I do for drying is use my humidity controller like 55%-57% usually and temps like 60-63ish. It's never exactly the same cause I try different temps but the humidity I always keep 55-60%. When the stems snap (but not brittle)I put em in bins with a hygrometer like these cheap things I test against my inkbird.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/JEDEW-H...grometer&language=en_US&qid=1592414204&sr=8-8

Once they sit at 62ish% for a couple days without burping I seal em in bags and check every couple days for a couple weeks. After that they are good to go. Usually put my personal in airtight jars. The rest doesn't last long.

Last edited:
GDub51

GDub51

No just the cheapies. All I do for drying is use my humidity controller like 55%-57% usually and temps like 60-63ish. It's never exactly the same cause I try different temps but the humidity I always keep 55-60%. When the stems snap (but not brittle)I put em in bins with a hygrometer like these cheap things I test against my inkbird.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/JEDEW-H...grometer&language=en_US&qid=1592414204&sr=8-8

Once they sit at 62ish% for a couple days without burping I seal em in bags and check every couple days for a couple weeks. After that they are good to go. Usually put my personal in airtight jars. The rest doesn't last long.
Yes I understand the curing process which I also do in glass cookie jars in my wine cellar to control moisture and slow cure. It is the hanging stuff I'm trying to get past the snap the stem caveman method. I've bottled too early before by this very inaccurate method of guessing by the stems. I know there is such a meter (short electrodes) but they are all in the $200 ball park! If I was a commercial grower I'd have one. I'm trying to find one for a more reasonable price. Anybody use a meter to judge when to bottle? Or is everyone using the stem method?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah you and I both would like something a little more definitive but in a sense I like going in and evaluating it day to day.

I'm home ATM I'll take a look around and see what I can find. I'm wondering if there is not just a resistance test using an ohm meter with a set distance that someone might have put out there

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

So you want a good MC meter but don't wanna pay for one. Typical. Do you also have a homemade carbon scrubber and duct tape duct collars?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why not just take some material, put it in a sealed bag with a hygrometer? It's not instant, but cost $10 as opposed to $300.
That's what I use. Bit he is talking about for drying not curing

GDub51

GDub51

Why not just take some material, put it in a sealed bag with a hygrometer? It's not instant, but cost $10 as opposed to $300.
I, like many, already do this. I just use my reg. Ball jars and a quarter sized hygrometer which gives me an accurate reading in about 15 min. I just pulled a few premies and the Gorilla Bomb had 80+% moisture while the Girl Scout Cookie 70% (identical start, treatment etc). This after a 6 days hanging in my cellar. So I had to leave the GSC jar open and the GB spilled out on a mag. to dry a while B4 re-bottling and daily racking. Just wish I could have known not to jar quite yet. Instead, I went by the stem method (bottle when branches MAKE AN ANGLE THAT STAYS when bent) I was lucky to have the timing work out such that the premature plants early pulling coincided with their replacements maturing so the replacements went right into the premies holes (after re-charging). I have no complaints as the early flowered few made timely room for replacements while offering some early season enjoyment. Check the pictures! The Gorilla Bomb is really coming up roses!!

IMG 2649
IMG 2652
IMG 3334 1
IMG 3338 1
IMG 3354
IMG 3357
IMG 3359
IMG 3365
IMG 3366
IMG 3367
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I, like many, already do this. I just use my reg. Ball jars and a quarter sized hygrometer which gives me an accurate reading in about 15 min. I just pulled a few premies and the Gorilla Bomb had 80+% moisture while the Girl Scout Cookie 70% (identical start, treatment etc). This after a 6 days hanging in my cellar. So I had to leave the GSC jar open and the GB spilled out on a mag. to dry a while B4 re-bottling and daily racking. Just wish I could have known not to jar quite yet. Instead, I went by the stem method (bottle when branches MAKE AN ANGLE THAT STAYS when bent) I was lucky to have the timing work out such that the premature plants early pulling coincided with their replacements maturing so the replacements went right into the premies holes (after re-charging). I have no complaints as the early flowered few made timely room for replacements while offering some early season enjoyment. Check the pictures! The Gorilla Bomb is really coming up roses!!
After its dry and you want to keep your pot at 62% I buy the 62% humidity packs from the government pot shops for .95 cents each. They put them in their containers to keep the pot from drying out. Works for them...works for me too.

Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

There exists such a device for checking the moisture in dried tobacco. That's where I'd start. A high quality two pronger for checking dry wall moisture would probably work, as well

Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

Something like this, no?

GDub51

GDub51

There exists such a device for checking the moisture in dried tobacco. That's where I'd start. A high quality two pronger for checking dry wall moisture would probably work, as well
ON target here. I have seen such meters as well just that they are over $200 and that's probably beyond my range just to be more sure when to bottle dried weed. I see several didn't understand me. I have Boveda packs and hygrometers for bottled goods its the hanging stuff I wanted to keep more accurate track of, as to when to bottle. The "wait till a branch snaps when bent" technique is cave man level. When I waited for a branch to break the flowers were so dry I had to re-hydrate. Now I feel how they BEND and judge this way, but it's still guessing.

Top Bottom