Plant Probs! HALP!

• Thread starter TrumanBudbank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrumanBudbank

TrumanBudbank

first timer here.

week 5/day 3 of flowering.

7 plants in fox farm soil (2gal fabric) Had a bunch of different seeds and decided to see what would happen.

HLG 260V2 at 100% 24” above tallest plant.

HLG 100 at 100% in the front for supplemental light (a gift)

rH- 45-48 temp- 75-76 F maintained 24/7

emerald harvest nutes - micro, grow, bloom, king kola, and honey chome
I feed at 5.8
roots organic calmag 50%

Schedule

Feed 50% strength
Feed 25% strength
Terp Tea Bloom w/Molasses
pH water 6.0-6.5

My RO is 6.1
No pests to note.

I use a small boost of CO2 from a DYI setup
(2 gallon jugs/yeast sugar)
Brings ppm to 13-1500 for a couple days then tapers off.

I try my best not to succumb to new parent paranoia, but with any abnormalities I notice, I question my entire process.

my primary issue are with 3 of my plants with mild yellowing/lightly colored leaves, a couple plants have a few brown spots, and a few plants have smaaaaaall yellow/brown tips.
Alain have an issue with the edges curling up a bit....

Hours of research have led me to believe it’s a calcium deficiency or toxicity of some sort. Maybe a lockout.
But I’ve been giving the highest dose of Roots Organic CALMAG

(CA - 4.0% MG- 1.0% Sulfur 4.0%)

I use calmag every feed AND water.
Is this cal def or cal tox?

And should I stop using the calmag every feed/water and only use once a week?
what can I do about the plants edges curling up?

75 degrees rH 44% all times.

Please help, I’m freakin out

Plant probs halp
Plant probs halp 2
Plant probs halp 3
Plant probs halp 4
Plant probs halp 5
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i’d say look up light/heat stress pictures, probably overwatering,
roots too cold?
too small of container?
possibly a mag deficiency.

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

first timer here.

week 5/day 3 of flowering.

7 plants in fox farm soil (2gal fabric) Had a bunch of different seeds and decided to see what would happen.

HLG 260V2 at 100% 24” above tallest plant.

HLG 100 at 100% in the front for supplemental light (a gift)

rH- 45-48 temp- 75-76 F maintained 24/7

emerald harvest nutes - micro, grow, bloom, king kola, and honey chome
I feed at 5.8
roots organic calmag 50%

Schedule

Feed 50% strength
Feed 25% strength
Terp Tea Bloom w/Molasses
pH water 6.0-6.5

My RO is 6.1
No pests to note.

I use a small boost of CO2 from a DYI setup
(2 gallon jugs/yeast sugar)
Brings ppm to 13-1500 for a couple days then tapers off.

I try my best not to succumb to new parent paranoia, but with any abnormalities I notice, I question my entire process.

my primary issue are with 3 of my plants with mild yellowing/lightly colored leaves, a couple plants have a few brown spots, and a few plants have smaaaaaall yellow/brown tips.
Alain have an issue with the edges curling up a bit....

Hours of research have led me to believe it’s a calcium deficiency or toxicity of some sort. Maybe a lockout.
But I’ve been giving the highest dose of Roots Organic CALMAG

(CA - 4.0% MG- 1.0% Sulfur 4.0%)

I use calmag every feed AND water.
Is this cal def or cal tox?

And should I stop using the calmag every feed/water and only use once a week?
what can I do about the plants edges curling up?

75 degrees rH 44% all times.

Please help, I’m freakin out

I think you are having Cal excess issues not deficiency and are having severe lockout in the first pics and beginning stages in the pic4 plant. I also think that your ph is way low for soil. That Fox Farms soil should come with enough buffers in it to not need to adjust ph for the entire grow using tap water with a ph between 7-8.

A couple of suggestions.
Drop the RO water if you are going to continue in soil.
Do a hard flush immediately, using 4 gallons of straight tap water for your 2 gal pots. Let your plant dry WELL, and then use straight tap water, no feeding at all, to water your plants to allow time for them to start eating the residual nutes left in the soil, since it is hard to truly flush soil. It will take a couple of weeks to get this straightened out, the plant labled above as pic4 and pic3 may recover decently and you may at least get a harvest out of the plant in the other pics.

TrumanBudbank

TrumanBudbank

I think you are having Cal excess issues not deficiency and are having severe lockout in the first pics and beginning stages in the pic4 plant. I also think that your ph is way low for soil. That Fox Farms soil should come with enough buffers in it to not need to adjust ph for the entire grow using tap water with a ph between 7-8.

A couple of suggestions.
Drop the RO water if you are going to continue in soil.
Do a hard flush immediately, using 4 gallons of straight tap water for your 2 gal pots. Let your plant dry WELL, and then use straight tap water, no feeding at all, to water your plants to allow time for them to start eating the residual nutes left in the soil, since it is hard to truly flush soil. It will take a couple of weeks to get this straightened out, the plant labled above as pic4 and pic3 may recover decently and you may at least get a harvest out of the plant in the other pics.

I actually did just this before posting this.

to clarify, you suggest eliminating nutes throughout the remainder of the flowering cycle?

I was considering using just bonemeal/molasses/quarter strength calmag here on out.

also been reading info on the intensity issues with the QBs. Gonna raise the lights a bit more (currently at 16-18”)

no more King Kola or Honey Chome?
I think they’re bloom boosters of sorts 🤷🏾‍♂️

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It looks to be overfed, and with tons of Cal-Mag, the Ph can easily get out of whack and rise above the Ph needed for Magnesium. Have you checked your outflow Ph or PPMs? Once lockouts set in, they are difficult to repair because of fluctuating Ph levels are hard on plants overall. An overuse of Cal-Mag can raise the Ph enough to cause lockouts of it's own
I agree with a flush, but you might try a foliar feeding of a dilute 20-20-20/Jacks water soluble fertilizer. It takes very little fertilizer and since the roots are bypassed, the plants typically respond faster. Be CAREFUL not to use too high of a nute concentration to avoid burning.

TrumanBudbank

TrumanBudbank

It looks to be overfed, and with tons of Cal-Mag, the Ph can easily get out of whack and rise above the Ph needed for Magnesium. Have you checked your outflow Ph or PPMs? Once lockouts set in, they are difficult to repair because of fluctuating Ph levels are hard on plants overall. An overuse of Cal-Mag can raise the Ph enough to cause lockouts of it's own
I agree with a flush, but you might try a foliar feeding of a dilute 20-20-20/Jacks water soluble fertilizer. It takes very little fertilizer and since the roots are bypassed, the plants typically respond faster. Be CAREFUL not to use too high of a nute concentration to avoid burning.

What is a recommended soil pH?
I was told that I must always adjust my nutes to 5.8

Is it safe to foliar feed during flowering?
Won’t I risk mold?
(excuse the ignorance here- So much conflicting info online)

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

to clarify, you suggest eliminating nutes throughout the remainder of the flowering cycle?

I was considering using just bonemeal/molasses/quarter strength calmag here on out.

also been reading info on the intensity issues with the QBs. Gonna raise the lights a bit more (currently at 16-18”)

I said it would take a couple weeks to get straightened out. You are in soil not coco or hydro.

Just to clarify you want to throw more nutes in soil that is already full of nutes the plant isn't using and raise your lights?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Mine are still at 24"-30" in early flower. If I get closer, I have light burn. In this case, it's intensity burns (like sunburn) and not caused by heat. Either dim down your lights or raise them up like another post suggested.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I said it would take a couple weeks to get straightened out. You are in soil not coco or hydro.

Just to clarify you want to throw more nutes in soil that is already full of nutes the plant isn't using and raise your lights?

I've noticed that many people want to throw something else in the mix with the idea that something might straighten it out. Sometimes the best solutions are nothing but plain water.

I try to keep my process simple to avoid this. Good soil, properly pH'd and fed only enough nutes to keep the plant healthy and not hungry. Extra nutes won't speed the grow if the plant is already receiving what she wants. She's going to finish when she does and it's your job to give her the environment she needs to grow .... trying to force nature to move faster rarely works.

TrumanBudbank

TrumanBudbank

I figured after this flushing, I’d need to feed them at least once or twice more before harvest.

your perspectives are appreciated

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I figured after this flushing, I’d need to feed them at least once or twice more before harvest.

I'm not sure if someone else answered yet but I target to hit pH 6.5 for my soil. Here's a chart that shows nutrient uptake. Right half is soil grows.

PH uptake chart
TrumanBudbank

TrumanBudbank

I try to keep my process simple to avoid this. Good soil, properly pH'd and fed only enough nutes to keep the plant healthy and not hungry.

After the comments from above, I followed up with some research on this fox farm soil and I’m reading that I shouldn’t have had to pH the water/feed throughout the cycle.

Is this accurate?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

After the comments from above, I followed up with some research on this fox farm soil and I’m reading that I shouldn’t have had to pH the water/feed throughout the cycle.

Is this accurate?

Almost ... it's accurate if your water's normal pH falls between 7.0 and 8.0. Most water does, but not all.

TrumanBudbank

TrumanBudbank

I'm not sure if someone else answered yet but I target to hit pH 6.5 for my soil. Here's a chart that shows nutrient uptake. Right half is soil grows.

Per this chart, when I feed/water I should adjust the solutions to 6.5?

faaak I’m confused.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter

Won’t I risk mold?
Foliar feeding during flowering is a controversial issue, but if done earlier there should be no problems. Risking mold depends on your Rh and ventilation. I would try to foliar feed when lights have just turned on. If it is dilute enough, it won't burn anything and will dry off and avoiding mold. I like to keep my Ph around 6.5 at the root zone.
If you have concerns about residue on your buds after feeding, a simple rinse of water will remove the residue since it's water soluble. There is a TON of conflicting info out there, but different growers find success with different methods. I use Promix, water every day or every other day, feed every 12-15 days and not much more. Other growers feed constantly and water several times a day... there is no right or wrong way if you are having good results. I prefer to use a minimum of nutes and stuff, but I've been growing for a while and have the process dialed in. Never worry about asking questions. Folks get pissed if you ask the same questions repeatedly, but otherwise, we are here to learn.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

Won’t I risk mold?
the only person who knows your plants is you.

you’ll be creating stress, probably be a week before recover.
i think you should check the information you have received by googling first, just change the things that are low stress to the plant first, raise the lights. are the roots cold?
you are using small containers, probably jammed of roots.. etc.
like i said you know your set up, you have some opinions, now i would research and make my decision.
live and learn is the only way.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Per this chart, when I feed/water I should adjust the solutions to 6.5?

faaak I’m confused.

The chart I posted is your soil pH. Use dolomite lime to buffer. Fox Farm usually comes in at about 6.0 - 6.3 so it comes in close to that already.

TrumanBudbank

TrumanBudbank

Foliar feeding during flowering is a controversial issue, but if done earlier there should be no problems. Risking mold depends on your Rh and ventilation. I would try to foliar feed when lights have just turned on. If it is dilute enough, it won't burn anything and will dry off and avoiding mold. I like to keep my Ph around 6.5 at the root zone.
If you have concerns about residue on your buds after feeding, a simple rinse of water will remove the residue since it's water soluble. There is a TON of conflicting info out there, but different growers find success with different methods. I use Promix, water every day or every other day, feed every 12-15 days and not much more. Other growers feed constantly and water several times a day... there is no right or wrong way if you are having good results. I prefer to use a minimum of nutes and stuff, but I've been growing for a while and have the process dialed in. Never worry about asking questions. Folks get pissed if you ask the same questions repeatedly, but otherwise, we are here to learn.

informative and articulate.
I appreciate the info... I have a love for gardening yet haven’t tried my thumbs at this crop. Growing for my stepdad that suffered a massive stroke. Rehab is painful and often has no appetite. This crop means more to me than a smoke so I’m trying my best to get it right... although I’m aware that there’s a learning process to this

thank you all sincerely

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

informative and articulate.
I appreciate the info... I have a love for gardening yet haven’t tried my thumbs at this crop. Growing for my stepdad that suffered a massive stroke. Rehab is painful and often has no appetite. This crop means more to me than a smoke so I’m trying my best to get it right... although I’m aware that there’s a learning process to this

thank you all sincerely

Well, here's the thing ... growing plants is kind of like raising children. The first one you have, you have many questions, make mistakes, but in the end they almost always turn out at least "ok." The second is less stressful, you learned from the first and it becomes an easier job going forward.

I don't think you will fail. I think you will succeed ... and every harvest afterwards, with the knowledge you've gained will steadily increase your yield and potency.

Top Bottom