plant spacing

• Thread starter kd0afk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kd0afk

I think I asked this question before but im not sure.
My grow:
2'x3'x5' tall
600 watt air cooled hid
dwc with plenty of air
no co2 (soon though)

7 plants in 6 five inch nets;
2 blue dream
2 bubba kush
2 purple kush in one basket (as an experiment)
1 GDP

My question is this would I get a bigger harvest if I increased the number of plants from 6 to 8 (fill in those gaps between plants) using selective pruning between the plants to keep them from crowding?
or
Could I get a bigger harvest with a SOG with 20-25 plants?

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

In my opinion any way u can fill the useable space under the light will work. Wether its 12 small plants or 1 large 1 scrogged. Its more of a veg time issue. If plant #s are not a concern I would rather do a lot of small plants with little or no veg time.

K

kd0afk

In my opinion any way u can fill the useable space under the light will work. Wether its 12 small plants or 1 large 1 scrogged. Its more of a veg time issue. If plant #s are not a concern I would rather do a lot of small plants with little or no veg time.

I guess that brings me to another question. At what point will they start crowding?
what would be the yield of one plant that is 24" at harvest compared to four plants of the same strain that are put into flower when they are 10"?

S

Spuzzum

Cabinet I had, was 30" x 18". Plants were sea of green, hydro.. 4" spacing, 18 plants in total. Indicas finished 10" - 14" tall, and indica-sativa crosses finished 18" - 22" tall. .. Yield was roughly 1 gram per inch.

K

kd0afk

Did you grow from seed or clone? When did you start them flowering?

S

Spuzzum

I grew clones. 1st crop was the original seedlings.. very crowded. :D

My process was a 3 stage perpetual system. Every 3-4 weeks, I'd insert 6 new clones.. as soon as they were rooted, max veg of 2 days.. no more. 2 weeks later, I'd take clones from the bottom shoots of those clones, since you don't want branching in a SoG, it's no loss.. forces more growth up top anyways. 7-10 days later, the clones are ready, and it's schedule time for the plant rotation.. 1st stage moves to 2nd stage position in the cab, and the newly rooted clones replace the 1st stage plants. 3-4 weeks later, the 3rd stage rotation. .. And here's the best part of a perpetual garden.. 3-4 weeks after that.. rotation time means harvest time! I'd harvest 6 plants every 3-4 weeks.. depending on the strains. :)

Most people keep mothers to clone off of, but mothers get big. This is a lot less maintenance as well.. only need to tend to the clones 1 week out of every month. ;)

Cheers........

Spuzzum

K

kd0afk

Ok, I went into autocad and drafted the layout for my next grow.
it will be a SOG with 18 nets spaced 8" on center.
I like the idea of 2 days in veg and the rotation.
The tub I'm growing in right now the plants are spaced at 8" on center and after 3 weeks I don't have a crowding issue. I think I have a winner here.
it will be an aeroponic grow. And this will happen after my current crop is done.
grow_tent_layout.bmp

The red square is 2 feet by 4 feet.

R

Reefer Franklin

It seems to be general knowledge that whatever you do the max you can get is 2lbs a light with 1 x 1000 watt HPS in a wide dispersion hood like a Raptor. I'm trying to push the envelope with four lights in a square configuration and 48 high yielding strains. I'm also pushing the PPM to 1500 - 1800. I extended the veg stage to 18 days to get the girls big enough to support more buddage.

So far they are looking great and are 23" at just 11 days into 12/12.
As you can see the plants are very close. On the next run I am going to cram them even more and run 80. I think the system can handle it.

Pictures at 10, or 11 or whenever.

The Reef

"Respect Yourself.
If you don't respect yourself nobody's gonna give a godamn hoot"

Imported Photos 00526
mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Im tryin to picture what kinda setup u running. Im not sure but those look like fives,so if You push two fives tight it would probaly be about 16in. I think sog kicks ass if it wasnt for my legal plant limit Id go back. 7in centers 3in net cups is pretty common sog.

hiboy

hiboy

For me less is best. I have 3 3x6 trays and i went from 42 to 24 and now they are spaced and happy. They are little trees, ready for George Wash. to chop them down

R

Reefer Franklin

18". That's about the minimum I think I can get away with. As the plants overlap leaves are absorbing nutrients from their neighbors. It shows up as wet spots on adjacent leaves. Not at all harmful, but interesting to watch.

I have a permit to grow 99. Above that the Feds get involved. This is a 48 plant setup, but it's going so well I'm going up to 80 in the next round

Reef

K

kd0afk

18". That's about the minimum I think I can get away with. As the plants overlap leaves are absorbing nutrients from their neighbors. It shows up as wet spots on adjacent leaves. Not at all harmful, but interesting to watch.

I have a permit to grow 99. Above that the Feds get involved. This is a 48 plant setup, but it's going so well I'm going up to 80 in the next round

Reef
18" or 8"?

K

kd0afk

Im tryin to picture what kinda setup u running. Im not sure but those look like fives,so if You push two fives tight it would probaly be about 16in. I think sog kicks ass if it wasnt for my legal plant limit Id go back. 7in centers 3in net cups is pretty common sog.

I think I'll see what 7" with 3" pots
Thanks. I have a 99 plant limit as well.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

He means 18 in I dont think these guys understand the space your working with. But Im pretty sure I get ya. You want to do an aero sog.

K

kd0afk

He means 18 in I dont think these guys understand the space your working with. But Im pretty sure I get ya. You want to do an aero sog.

All they have to is read. Im pretty clear with my measurements. The picture is a little blurt by explained it.
im going with 5" nets. If I get at least an ounce from each plant ill be looking at 18 oz each harvest. That'll make me happy. And im going to let them veg till they are 15" tall (that's inches, not meters or feet or pounds.) Just clarifying for those who don't know what the inch symbol looks like.

It looks like this "

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I used to grow them til they hit 5-6 nodes pretty much large well rooted clones.Then flip them let em go about a week then cut off anything thats not a part of the main cola. Lollipopped. I think the people that have probs with sog try to grow to big of plants and dont lollipop. With a chunky strain I was pullin about a 14 - 20 gram plants about 2 1/4 pounds per 1000wt 60plants 4ft by 6ft area.

K

kd0afk

I think that my little experiment failed. In one of my nets I placed two purple Kush plants together thinking that as long as the roots aren't crowding each other. Well, as you can see, they are both stunted.
tiny_things.jpg

I would like to try and fix it. If I killed one of them, would it give let the other grow biggerr?

Top Bottom