plant stems twist after using compost tea

• Thread starter ffishermun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

ffishermun

my compost tea is made up of 3 teaspoons of worm castings and 2 teaspoons of kelp , 1 teaspoon of molasses, into 1 gallon of water for 24 to 36 hrs. than diluted 50%. i put this mixture into soil, than next day plant stems twist. what is causing this? I should mention 4 plants in 3 gallon pots.
any info would be appreciated

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not sure at all, never seen that sort of thing. Serves to bump.

M

mrbong73

my compost tea is made up of 3 teaspoons of worm castings and 2 teaspoons of kelp , 1 teaspoon of molasses, into 1 gallon of water for 24 to 36 hrs. than diluted 50%. i put this mixture into soil, than next day plant stems twist. what is causing this? I should mention 4 plants in 3 gallon pots.
any info would be appreciated

ffishermun,
Could you give us some more info or maybe a pic of your plant?

Couple questions:
1. What is your soil mix?
2. What kind of aeration did you use?
3. What was your source for the castings?
4. What do you mean by "stems twist"

It is highly unlikely that the pH of the tea caused this.

I agree that the pH will balance to around 7 in a properly prepared ACT.
In 5 gal of water with just under 2 cups of compost/ewc.
My tap water is around 8.
I add fish hydrolysate and it goes to around 6.5
Within an hour or so it is sitting at around 7

Foam or the lack thereof does not indicate the tea being ready. You can get foam from the earthworm castings or for sure if you add alfalfa meal (highly recommended)

Testing the pH of your ACT is really not necessary and probably not really even considered by the folks that do this for a living. (Just a guess)

It is important to bubble the water in advance of adding your compost if you are using city water with the certain "additives".
Adding a pinch of organic matter (compost, EWC, etc) during the "pre bubble" will help with the chloramine (sp?)

FYI - I typically pour my tea full strength as a soil drench at around 18-24 hours.

If applied as a foliar spray I usually will dilute just so I can spray my backyard too.
Cheers.

Oh yeah. It would be helpful to the general public for people to review the following links prior to making "guesses" regarding compost teas in general.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=110620
http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/333940-post-your-organic-tea-recipe.html
http://www.microbeorganics.com/#Where_is_your_data_

dextr0

dextr0

ffishermun,
Could you give us some more info or maybe a pic of your plant?

Couple questions:
1. What is your soil mix?
2. What kind of aeration did you use?
3. What was your source for the castings?
4. What do you mean by "stems twist"

It is highly unlikely that the pH of the tea caused this.

I agree that the pH will balance to around 7 in a properly prepared ACT.
In 5 gal of water with just under 2 cups of compost/ewc.
My tap water is around 8.
I add fish hydrolysate and it goes to around 6.5
Within an hour or so it is sitting at around 7

Foam or the lack thereof does not indicate the tea being ready. You can get foam from the earthworm castings or for sure if you add alfalfa meal (highly recommended)

Testing the pH of your ACT is really not necessary and probably not really even considered by the folks that do this for a living. (Just a guess)

It is important to bubble the water in advance of adding your compost if you are using city water with the certain "additives".
Adding a pinch of organic matter (compost, EWC, etc) during the "pre bubble" will help with the chloramine (sp?)

FYI - I typically pour my tea full strength as a soil drench at around 18-24 hours.

If applied as a foliar spray I usually will dilute just so I can spray my backyard too.
Cheers.

Oh yeah. It would be helpful to the general public for people to review the following links prior to making "guesses" regarding compost teas in general.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=110620
http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/333940-post-your-organic-tea-recipe.html
http://www.microbeorganics.com/#Where_is_your_data_

^^I agree with what hes saying. Ive added plenty of teas and never knew the ph, never had twisted stems. I know it is advised to have a good microbial growth in your soil to help adjust ph as they feed, again though Ive never seen any problem either way with a tea as you say you are making.

Mr.bong, can you tell me more about the using of organic matter to kill chloramine. Ive read of it (and also using humic acid) but was under the impression that it was an unreliable method. U say here use a pinch of organic matter when Ive read to use alot...
I have always found this interesting and wish i could find a definite way to do it.

M

mrbong73

^^Mr.bong, can you tell me more about the using of organic matter to kill chloramine. Ive read of it (and also using humic acid) but was under the impression that it was an unreliable method. U say here use a pinch of organic matter when Ive read to use alot...
I have always found this interesting and wish i could find a definite way to do it.

Carbon filter will do it too.

There is a rather heated argument going on now at another site regarding this very subject.

My understanding is that using almost any organic material during the off gasing process will work to remove the chloramines.

Quote: (from some reliable sources)
"An easy way is to take a couple of tablespoons of quality earthworm castings and put them into your mesh bag and bubble it out for about 1 hour. The organic material in the earthworm castings will activate the chloramine causing it to convert chlorine and the aeration process will remove both the chlorine and ammonia"

"2 drops per gallon (molasses), and I get good brews. If I drop the compost straight into untreated water, I don't. One pinch of compost serves equally well. Since it's now a matter of convenience, I use a pinch of compost per gallon to treat water for ACT (1 ppm chlorine according to city), and since I water with a pump sprayer, I use 2 drops (OR SO!) blackstrap per gallon to water. "

"You need very little organic matter to mitigate the chloramine, it will
barely touch the surface of the soil before it is gone, the charcoal filter
you mentioned earlier will strip it out easily. All you need to do is discolor the water a bit and it is history"

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Action ---> Reaction?

PS -- Right now this thread is useless without pix.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Activated/carbon filters will get rid of the chloramine and it hangs around for 12 days in water. As for adding wc or other things why not be sure and use a carbon filter. Besides they have been using it for 25 years and longer and is not know to be present in a large ppm to harm plants. Think about all the house plants and lawns that have been watered with it for years and they are fine.

I think your twisting is due to the kelp as it has a growth hormone in it but next day difference I don't think so what vour your night temps like?

Top Bottom