Plant yellowing help

• Thread starter medic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
medic

medic

4wks into flowering one of my two plants in same res started turning yellow from bottom working its way up the plant

Plant yellowing help
Scrappy-doo

Scrappy-doo

Premium Member
Supporter
How do your roots look? That's the first place you gotta look. You could have a root rot or and algae issue. If you can post pics of your roots we can take it from there.

medic

medic

when i changed res last wk the inside looked like an 1/8in of salt on everything, cleaned it out flushed and replaced, tryin to keep ph at 5.5 to 6 best i can till i get ph pen to be more accurate. but heres the roots...

IMG 0342
Scrappy-doo

Scrappy-doo

Premium Member
Supporter
OK bro so here's the diagnosis. Unfortunately, you have root rot. If you don't take care of it, and fast!, your plant is not gonna make it.

You see the white roots to the upper left? That's what your roots are supposed to look like. If you touch them they will be firm. If you touch all the other roots they will feel soggy, like wet spaghetti.

I personally have not had the best of luck combating root rot in hydro, and currently do not run hydro, so I'm not the best person to give advice but I do know a few things...

Many people use hydrogen peroxide which they find very helpful. 2 of the main causes for root rot is

A- water too warm. Your water should not feel lukewarm to the touch it should be somewhat cold. Warm water is inviting to pathogens and bacteria. If yours feels warm that is your problem and is something that needs to be fixed or else your problems will persist.

B- Not enough oxygen. You should be seeing lots and lots of bubbles in your res. The more the better. If your bubble flow is not vigorous the roots suffocate and die, and bad bacteria will begin to form and feed. You may need either a new air stone or a stronger air pump.

I recommend reading up on root rot and how to defeat it. You're gonna have to pull off all those bad roots. If you pull gently on them and they come off they are no good. Gotta get as much crap as possible off of there. Most likely you will be recommended some hydrogen peroxide, or perhaps bleach, to kill the remaining rot.

In my own situation when running hydro and faced with rot, I successfully ended up transplanting my plant into coco and, after being stunted for a couple weeks, she resumed flower and I had a full harvest. So, worst case scenario you could just do that. IMO it's the easy way out.

Good luck.

Scrappy-doo

Scrappy-doo

Premium Member
Supporter
One more thing... as a quick test, if you have any regular hydrogen peroxide from the store you can just pour a little on the dark colored roots. If it's root rot you will see the peroxide fizz up instantly. Then you know what you're dealing with.

medic

medic

RutRo,lol. Thanks scrappy i think ur right on i was trying to add some co2 so was turning fan off for a lil while thats the only way my water temps went up. I'll try the peroxide and have stopped the co2 till more experiance growing and i think i have plenty of o2 in there, but i'm first grow this is secound try I'm lettin the water sit and bubble over night to let the clorine come out, my tap water is like 50 to 60ppm's so that about the bleach should i just use the lil clorine thats in the water and not air it out over night. I'm gonna get this right somehow I think i have read every post on this sight so i'm learnng.

Thanks again for helping wish the site had more like you to hep us noobs get going it just helps us all in the long run i think so, Thank you scrappy for even responding.

Scrappy-doo

Scrappy-doo

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah that's the one problem with DWC, the buckets can get warm sitting under that light.

You need to find a way to get the temps of the buckets down. It needs to feel cool/cold to the touch. If you can make a recirculating DWC setup that would be ideal, cause you can keep the reservoir off and to the side out of the light.

Also, if you're using a tent that can also really heat the water up. When I was in hydro, I found my water temps went down significantly after I switched out of my tents and built my own custom setup. A tent can become somewhat of an oven.

Here's a vid I found on a routine for getting rid of root rot with peroxide. I personally don't think you need all the fancy other stuff this dude uses, just a high concentration hydrogen peroxide and some consistency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkqdbZNu1Y8

Hope it works out.

Top Bottom