Plants And Foliar Applications?

• Thread starter Bajocassus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bajocassus

Bajocassus

I'm curious about the plants process when using a foliar spray. My limited knowledge has nutrient highways stuck in the "roots upward" mode. When spraying I understand the plant absorbs the solution but then what? Is it broken down in a similar fashion as nutrients in the soil? What about the bacteria partnership? Does something similar happen at the leaf? Any links are welcome. I searched but came up relatively empty or found articles to academic to really lock on. Thanks in advance for any info folks.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Foliar feeding can give plants a direct boost of nutrients through their leaves. This is done by means of thousands of microscopic pores on leaf surfaces. These openings, called stomata (Greek: stoma, meaning “mouth”) are located primarily on the underside of the leaves. This prevents them from plugging up with dust and other environmental contaminants and also prevents fungal spores from entering. The primary functions of stomata openings are to permit gases containing carbon, hydrogen and oxygen to enter the plant. These are then used to manufacture sugars during photosynthesis. Conversely, stomata allow water vapor to escape from plants. In most cases, stomata close at night because the absorption of carbon dioxide is unnecessary when photosynthesis is not taking place. Stomata may also close on hot, dry days, in heavy winds or when the soil becomes dry.

We can use these stomata openings to help increase a plants growth, health, and overall production through the application an organic fertilizer in the form of a foliar spray. The stomata are able to absorb dissolved nutrients and minerals and translocate them to the parts of the plant where they are needed.

That being said... dont look to foliar as the best fix... look to your roots first.

Bajocassus

Bajocassus

Thanks! I was looking at my bottle of Dr. Earth and it had a foliar application on the directions so I gave it a shot at a 50% of recommended. I did this on some new clones in the morning and when I returned later in the evening they were gorgeous. They didn't look unhealthy in any way to start but what a difference after the spray. I understand and agree that in the soil, or at the roots for other mediums, is where the food should be processed but how best to work in a foliar? Is it even necessary at all once I get my soil care down?

Bajocassus

Bajocassus

I think I just answered my own question. I'll use it to fill in my experience gaps until I get my soil care down. Sometimes I have to throw the questions out there and get input to stimulate my own answer. These forums are helpful in so many ways. Thanks again folks and thanks GT21.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Thanks! I was looking at my bottle of Dr. Earth and it had a foliar application on the directions so I gave it a shot at a 50% of recommended. I did this on some new clones in the morning and when I returned later in the evening they were gorgeous. They didn't look unhealthy in any way to start but what a difference after the spray. I understand and agree that in the soil, or at the roots for other mediums, is where the food should be processed but how best to work in a foliar? Is it even necessary at all once I get my soil care down?
Its not necessary at all once the soil/medium is doing a good job... big ag uses foliar to boost crop production but they already have the roots on point. Many growers new and old look to foliar as a quick fix.. which works but its not helping anything to keep feeding leaves and have your soil or medium all locked up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom