Plants and sound

• Thread starter DismalDude
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DismalDude

DismalDude

Ok,I've read a bit about music,sound waves,and talking to your plants.
I was wondering if anyone had ever tried an actual waterfall or something like it in their grow room?
Like a bucket with an overflow pump from a fish tank which produces flowing water sounds like a brook.
I know it sounds a bit silly but I'm curious if anyone has tried something like that and if so did they notice any significant results?

DismalDude

DismalDude

I'm going to try this,especially to raise humidity a bit.AC drying the air out a tad this time of year. :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok,I've read a bit about music,sound waves,and talking to your plants.
I was wondering if anyone had ever tried an actual waterfall or something like it in their grow room?
Like a bucket with an overflow pump from a fish tank which produces flowing water sounds like a brook.
I know it sounds a bit silly but I'm curious if anyone has tried something like that and if so did they notice any significant results?
I've done it backwards. I've put plants in my fishrooms. Many houseplants can be grown as aquatic plants, Syngonium comes to mind first. Houseplants grown in a fishroom always perform better than those in the house, for a few reasons. Negative ions are probably building up in there from all the water movement, at least that's what I think because I always feel SO GOOD when I walk into a nice, healthy fishroom. There's more RH. The plants are usually being watered with the fish water, too, instead of just tap water.

God, I love water and the sound of it.

Trich king

Trich king

I always wondered about this as well. I know talking to em' is good cause your breathing co2 on them. Seems like music would put a good "vibe" in the air, always seems to pick me up!

Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

if any of you have extra speakers and an ipod touch/or old smartphone that can download apps... ive been messing around with frequencies a lot lately.

the app is called "quick sleep" (not only is it badass if you have a hard time sleeping like i do) but it has frequencies that you can solely put out over the speakers. ive been messing with different levels and such...and HAVE seen impacts and differences in growing. i havent done near enough to say what crushes it and what could possibly make them worse, but

theta 4.0 hz - I did notice the plants wont droop during night. like a stimulant almost. i havent noticed if growth was impacted, but all my plants that "sleep" were still standing tall as fuck mid night.

alpha 8.0 hz and 10.0 hz- for the human body its meant to suppress anxiety, induce relaxation, is conductive to harmony and meditation, and is a solution to troublesome problems. ive been trying this one on the veg room.... i dont see anything wrong yet but like i said, need more research.
but check the app, or get one similar and try it out

Trich king

Trich king

Gonna have to try this, seems like if it stimulates them enough to keep them pointing up @ night then they are responding the frequency's in the room.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
when I ran hydro I had lil pumps fluming up water like mini waterfalls in each res, 2 mini waterfalls per res and it was audible in the room. Not sure if it had an effect but I have kept the same music going for over 10 years and I wouldn't ever set up a room without this music :D

Trich king

Trich king

Going to have to dig out the old radio & old phone. I always listen to music while im working in my room but always take my little bluetooth speaker with me, gonna set up something a little more permanent.

DismalDude

DismalDude

when I ran hydro I had lil pumps fluming up water like mini waterfalls in each res, 2 mini waterfalls per res and it was audible in the room. Not sure if it had an effect but I have kept the same music going for over 10 years and I wouldn't ever set up a room without this music :D
Hey baba G.Just curious as to what genre you play for your girls?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Hey baba G.Just curious as to what genre you play for your girls?
while they are alive it's strictly classical, actually the flower room only hears classical on repeat 24-7. I play all sorts of music for trimming but that takes place in a different room than where plants reside. But I only rec'd classical while the plants are alive, keep in mind I'm a drummer but wouldn't play that for them...

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
It's been this cd that I've used for about 12 years going on 13 now and I still don't get bored of it. It speaks to the plants and I and it soothes the soul. You don't want aggressive music for the plants, sure death metal won't kill them or anything but to each their own :)

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Also I don't rec'd a wifi stereo or some internet music method in your rooms. I prefer to keep it old school with a cd player mounted on the wall with a couple speakers up high on the walls aimed strategically.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I also keep a strict no cell phone policy in rooms with plants and whatnot...just my quirky ways :pompus:

DismalDude

DismalDude

while they are alive it's strictly classical, actually the flower room only hears classical on repeat 24-7. I play all sorts of music for trimming but that takes place in a different room than where plants reside. But I only rec'd classical while the plants are alive, keep in mind I'm a drummer but wouldn't play that for them...
Sweet.I'm a fan of classical for sure.Thanks! :)

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

I love that you started this thread there is plenty of evidence that plants do better around running water for all the reasons sea maiden said and more for instance

this awesome piece here
By Andrew Porterfield
The word in the garden is that basil is good to have around. Plants are known to communicate with each other via shade, aromatic chemicals, and physical touch, promoting processes such as growth and defense against disease, as well as attraction of bees and other pollinators.

Now, online today in BMC Ecology, researchers report a new type of mechanism that some plants use to communicate. The team planted common chili pepper seeds (Capsicum annuum, pictured) near a basil plant, with barriers that prevented the basil from deploying its usual growth-promoting tricks.

Despite the separation, chili seeds germinated faster when basil was a neighbor, suggesting that a message was getting through. Because light, touch, and chemical "smell" were ruled out, the team proposes that the finding points to a new type of communication between plants, possibly involving nanoscale sound waves, traveling through the dirt to bring encouraging "words" to the growing seeds.

Understanding this novel communication could help growers boost crop yields and increase global food supplies. How neighborly.

they even sell bio wave units to make a specific sound vibration plants respond to well, we can also take into consideration Aquaponics this almost constantly has has a running water flow going back into the rez and from what I have seen of this technique it works very well for vegetables and it wouldn't be to bold to say this has a little something to do with it. Whenever I run my flood tables I use large baskets of hydroton instead of rookwool so I flood every 15min and my rez sets under my tables and just pours into them this makes a nice waterfall sound and I have come to love vegging my plants this way they just grow so fast and become so chunky in the stem again wouldn't be to bold to say that the RH Ambient sound and as sea maiden said negative ions don't have a very positive effect on the plants

so I hope you don't mind @DismalDude but I am going to use your idea in my room I am building now as my ac is going to dry the place out im sure. The ac is kinda overkill and I really like the idea of a bucket and fish overflow pump don't worry tho I give all credit to you cuz I didn't think of it just think its a great idea

Last edited:
Top Bottom