Plants eating less in flower than veg

• Thread starter zebracake
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zebracake

I have 5 coco hydro plants on day 23 of flower. 3 jungle cakes, 1 madmartigan, 1 apples & bananas. Got them as rooted cuttings from trustfall shout out to him.

Temp 84f, Humidity 40% at canopy. Water every 3 hours during lights on and once every 6 hours lights off. I haven't had an intake fan for almost a week since it broke and still waiting on it so my tent has negative pressure which could be causing my problem maybe?

The roots are compacted in 3 gallon fabric pots. When I water them they puddle up & take about a minute to come out as runoff. Ever since the roots became really compacted my plants can barely take any ppm. Jungle cakes have gone from 700ppm in veg to now 350-400ppm in flower. Martigan & AB was taking 600 in veg & I'm still trying to figure out how much they want in flower. I flushed them down to 300ppm then fed them 250ppm and the runoff is still going up lmao so I guess they want 200ppm per feeding? Never heard of anything like this in flower. Also the pH runoff is 5.5 & input is 6.1

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I have 5 coco hydro plants on day 23 of flower. 3 jungle cakes, 1 madmartigan, 1 apples & bananas. Got them as rooted cuttings from trustfall shout out to him.

Temp 84f, Humidity 40% at canopy. Water every 3 hours during lights on and once every 6 hours lights off. I haven't had an intake fan for almost a week since it broke and still waiting on it so my tent has negative pressure which could be causing my problem maybe?

The roots are compacted in 3 gallon fabric pots. When I water them they puddle up & take about a minute to come out as runoff. Ever since the roots became really compacted my plants can barely take any ppm. Jungle cakes have gone from 700ppm in veg to now 350-400ppm in flower. Martigan & AB was taking 600 in veg & I'm still trying to figure out how much they want in flower. I flushed them down to 300ppm then fed them 250ppm and the runoff is still going up lmao so I guess they want 200ppm per feeding? Never heard of anything like this in flower. Also the pH runoff is 5.5 & input is 6.1
Maybe you're watering too often.

Z

zebracake

Maybe you're watering too often.
The jungle cakes are watered enough but the other 2 plants are barely damp before being watered. I think the dropping ph could be a fungus in the roots so I'm going to hit it with some peroxide a few waterings. I have no idea what the lower ppm is about tho. I only have air flow at the canopy level but not much at the root zone so I might add a small fan down there. Can only having an exhaust fan with no intake cause an oxygen shortage? Maybe that's what's causing this idk. Are plants feeding significantly less than they used to a sign of root zone pests? I don't see anything on the leaves.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

The jungle cakes are watered enough but the other 2 plants are barely damp before being watered. I think the dropping ph could be a fungus in the roots so I'm going to hit it with some peroxide a few waterings. I have no idea what the lower ppm is about tho. I only have air flow at the canopy level but not much at the root zone so I might add a small fan down there. Can only having an exhaust fan with no intake cause an oxygen shortage? Maybe that's what's causing this idk. Are plants feeding significantly less than they used to a sign of root zone pests? I don't see anything on the leaves.
I don't know what you use for nutes but I have used gh 3 part forever. When I mix I mix one part and let it sit for a few hours then check ph then do the same with the other 2. Co2 exchange also causes ph changes as does temperature. Are you hand watering these? If not ,consider constant drip to provide oxygen. If your exhaust is pushing air ,then that means there is an intake of air somewhere or your tent would implode.

Z

zebracake

Looks like it was a bacteria or fungi problem. I hit it with a heavy dose of enzymes I had laying around and now the ph is stable and the plants are eating again. I normally use peroxide since it's much cheaper but the enzymes are just as good and they don’t mess with organics since I’m using fulvic acid.

G

growernotashower

Looks like it was a bacteria or fungi problem. I hit it with a heavy dose of enzymes I had laying around and now the ph is stable and the plants are eating again. I normally use peroxide since it's much cheaper but the enzymes are just as good and they don’t mess with organics since I’m using fulvic acid.
What kind of enzymes did you use?

savagenovelties

savagenovelties

Supporter
Remember the term runoff. Yes you are overwatering. Coco is not designed to be overwatered. Let your plant uptake what you have when your pot is light. It never hurts a plant to be dried out to the point of it almost drooping

Last edited:
N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
hmm pics?
3 gallon needs some perlite for this imo

savagenovelties

savagenovelties

Supporter
Perilte attracts green algae which in turn attracts fungus gnats. I’d think twice about using that. The biggest problem growers have with coco is overwatering, the next is ph. Why anybody measures their runoff is a puzzle. If you put ph’d water 5.9-6.1 and let the plant uptake those nutes & repeat you will never have problems. But keeping the root zone soaked constantly is going to cause you problems

Z

zebracake

What kind of enzymes did you use?
Enzymes komplete but won't be getting more. I've been doing some research and anything that's liquid is overpriced. I'm gonna grab some enzymes from Raw NPK they're the only brand I can find that tells you what exactly they put in their enzymes and it's powdered.

Remember the term runoff. Yes you are overwatering. Coco is not designed to be overwatered. Let your plant uptake what you have when your pot is light. It never hurts a plant to be dried out to the point of it almost drooping
I plan on doing coco with no runoff once I get some ec root zone sensors but for now I need runoff to test so I can have an idea of what's going on in the root zone otherwise I would have never realized what was wrong with my plants. In my experience letting the coco dry too much will give you nute burn every time. You can have big dry backs in coco if you're feeding lightly but without root zone sensors you're playing a guessing game.

savagenovelties

savagenovelties

Supporter
My honest opinion about enzymes. It’s a marketing gimmick for growshops to sell growers having problems. Never in my life “I’m 50” have I seen this anything like this until our state turned medical. Then they come out with beneficial bacteria, another good one & nematodes. All of these things were unheard of 30 yrs ago. They claim you need all this to produce good pot. I say it’s BS
A clean grow room is a good place to start but all these additives they are selling growers is kinda unnecessary. If you need these products, or are told you do there is usually an underlying problem, mostly overwatering or a ph issue. I know tons of growers that think a ph pen is BS. But If you look at their smoke you can clearly see there are issues going on. Save yourself tons of money on those additives and buy yourself a top notch ph meter. Your pocketbook will thank you

Jay13.aka.DutchStuff

Jay13.aka.DutchStuff

Perilte attracts green algae which in turn attracts fungus gnats. I’d think twice about using that. The biggest problem growers have with coco is overwatering, the next is ph. Why anybody measures their runoff is a puzzle. If you put ph’d water 5.9-6.1 and let the plant uptake those nutes & repeat you will never have problems. But keeping the root zone soaked constantly is going to cause you problems
If we are talking about a good coco perlite mix here: Never let it dry out, always keep it well saturated with water.
I water my plants in 1 gallon 8 times a day and they look great, 70/30 and 60/40 coco(canna) perlit mix.

I agree with you about enzymes. On manicbotanix is an article and a test of several enzyme products.
Most have been tested without detectable bennies. Shelf life is a huge problem there.
I myself use a dry product with t. harzianum, the fungus produces exactly the enzymes that many Enyzm products are supposed to contain and coco is an ideal enviroment for this fungus.
The fungus additionally acts against many pathogens that are also causing root rot.

Hydrogen peroxide, on the other hand, has no effect if the roots are infected. Such large amounts would be necessary that the plant would be damaged, and in coco the h2o2 also reacts directly with the substrate and thereby very quickly loses its effect.

D

D_G

My honest opinion about enzymes. It’s a marketing gimmick for growshops to sell growers having problems. Never in my life “I’m 50” have I seen this anything like this until our state turned medical. Then they come out with beneficial bacteria, another good one & nematodes. All of these things were unheard of 30 yrs ago. They claim you need all this to produce good pot. I say it’s BS
A clean grow room is a good place to start but all these additives they are selling growers is kinda unnecessary. If you need these products, or are told you do there is usually an underlying problem, mostly overwatering or a ph issue. I know tons of growers that think a ph pen is BS. But If you look at their smoke you can clearly see there are issues going on. Save yourself tons of money on those additives and buy yourself a top notch ph meter. Your pocketbook will thank you
Its ok to have opinion. But your opinion is wrong :D I am sure they sell some products that are really not necessary, but enzymes rock.
If you havent seen the way enzymes kick rootrots ass, you have missed out. Roots in aero were slimy, growing super slow and plants were just slowly dying. Enzyme product and instant heal, soon the slimy roots werent visible because pearl white roots outgrew them. Nothing else worked. It was basically a miracle.
Its really good stuff for roots.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I disagree. Its actually very hard to overwater in coco. The only time you might want them to dry out a little would be right after transplant so they can get their roots established.

Top Bottom