Plants getting too big for holes dug in ground

• Thread starter nashobaTHC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I have three in-ground plants in holes…each filled with 1.5 bags of coast of Maine Stonington blend soil. Hole sizes are about 15 gallons dug in packed sandy soil. Problem is plants got so big and healthy so early (in ground May 4) they need water about every other day (noticeable leaf drooping when thirsty) because I think the roots have filled the soil area and have reached the packed sandy walls of the holes. It’s mid July in NE Massachusetts with many hot days to come. Should I:
  1. continue to water and feed every day or two till end of season?
  2. cover the soil at base of plants to minimize evaporation?
  3. try to soak the sandy areas around the holes to prevent plant water from migrating to dry sandy surroundings?
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Plants getting too big for holes dug in ground
Plants getting too big for holes dug in ground 2
PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
I don't see a problem either.
Unless the only thing feeding your plant is the soil you filled the hole with it should not be a problem to just keep feeding them as you have been. They look great by the way!!! Great job.
I would Water the dirt around your dug hole in case roots have gone past your soil.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I don't see a problem either.
Unless the only thing feeding your plant is the soil you filled the hole with it should not be a problem to just keep feeding them as you have been. They look great by the way!!! Great job.
I would Water the dirt around your dug hole in case roots have gone past your soil.
I see a potential problem which fortunately has a very easy solution. Your plants branches are very close to the ground. Once they begin to bud and fill out, some of those branches will be on the ground unless something is done to prevent that. You can trim at the bottom if you want, or you can plan on training them. Either way, it's an invitation for trouble if any foliage is against the ground.

Other than that .... Nice Work!

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Thanks all. I’ll definitely be trimming lowest branches to clear out bottoms and I also plan to trim a bunch of small larfy branches in middle of plants. Trimming unwanted branches should also help reduce water loss that occurs through evapotranspiration. BTW…current nutrients are fox farm trio liquids, cal-mag, terp tea, EWC, and powder bloom boosters (open sesame, beastie bloom, and cha ching) that I’ve used for past 10+ years with good results. Got some amazing leaf size on my Motor Breath x Purple Chem. I’m sure they’re sucking up the water but plant is looking and smelling awesome.

DC898D03 E762 4BBF A60A 9DFB61255A1B
853FFC99 20A1 49D3 B42D 8F9A3B2448AA
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Agree with the above. I would want my roots to expand outside of the hole.What are your plans for controlling the height? Keep topping? Bend them over? I see you already have a ladder out and have a long ways to go. Beautiful job so far!

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Thanks for the kudos. I’ll just bend to control height. The step ladder was to help install the stakes. I have an 8-ft ladder to deal with tall plants. I’ll break that out in the next few weeks.

mancorn

mancorn

I see you have some sort of reservoir/pump system. How long does the watering take and are you getting a slow good soak?

I’d think unless the sandy soil is desert, that you will get more root penetration into the sandy soil - but only if this area has water. (Obviously all the trees around you are doing OK.) Water has a hard time migrating into different soil types. So if you have a one type of soil in a hole with different soil around the hole the water doesn’t just flow into the surrounding area, but pools in the hole. (And why it’s a bad idea to add gravel or other drain material in pots.) How about taking a pitchfork (rebar stake, etc) and poke holes out around the drip line of the plants and then give this area a slow soak (like you would for a fruit tree). Doesn’t need to be feed water as it might be several hours (or even overnight) of super low flow to encourage secondary roots and capillaries to grow (which are primarily near the surface).

growsince79

growsince79

Use mulch for sure-lots. It will keep the soil moist and cooler too. Plus help keep weeds out

strider26554

strider26554

First thing i would from looking at your pictures to be to mulch, and mulch heavily with either natural sandstone or dense mulch that will completely block most transpiration around the drip edge of your plants.

strider26554

strider26554

also you might want to , depending o n your water supply, and availability invest in some soaker lines .

strider26554

strider26554

Oh and by the way,, Awesome looking outdoor grow.. looks fairly pest free and healthy,,they should fine to completion.. with some of the suggestions made here.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Watering is always slow and steady. Bingo on slow soak of perimeter sandy areas to encourage root growth from soil hole to sandy surroundings. I have drip lines for that. I’ll also add mulch.

mancorn

mancorn

And at the risk of stating the obvious, make sure your soakers are below the mulch. If you’re top watering, as Oldchucky suggest, hay is easy to pull back and water (and then return) as opposed to a bark material which won’t allow water penetration.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

That’s a really good idea using straw to remove before watering then recovering with straw.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Has its drawbacks. Can blow around when it gets windy. But you can Wet it down also. Plus the unused portion of the bail can break your fall off of the ladder if you place it in the right Spot.

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

if you're going to add actual soil on top do it before flower. you dont want the plant making new breather roots and buds at the same time.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Actually just added more soil and some EWC yesterday. I poke pitch fork holes deep in the soil before watering and give a good 2 gallons per plant so they do get a good soak. Highly recommend pitch forking to aerate soil. It really helps water and air get to the roots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom