Plants getting too tall at only 4-5 weeks

• Thread starter chinacat420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chinacat420

chinacat420

Hey y’all, need some quick advice! I have a 2x4x6 tent with two plants, White Widow photo (planted 6 weeks ago after germination, plant on right in image), and one Gold Leaf photo (planted 5 weeks ago, plant on left in image). Growing in 50/50 FFHF/FFOF, watered with rain water when soil was dry 1” deep, fertilized once a week for past two weeks with FF Big Bloom and Grow Big. There is 22” clearance from top of plants to the lights (Spider Farmer SF1000 x2), with another 12” to spare. Light schedule is 18/6. I was planning on inducing flowering stage today when lights go off, setting the timer at 12/12, but I’m concerned about the growth surge at the beginning of the flowering stage, as they are already growing at quite a fast rate. They are due for another dose of nutes today as well. Stems are pretty thick and not flexible, so bending them wouldn’t be an option. Any advice would be most appreciated!!!
Plants getting too tall at only 4 5 weeks

Anthem

Anthem

Unfortunately, the 72" high tents do not leave much room for mistakes or miss judgement. You might have to consider some options. Looks like you could pick up an inch or two by changing out what you have the plants sitting on. Consider 1" x 2" lumber. I would soak in bleach before placing in the tent. Also the lights can be a little closer later in flower. You could always consider adding something the stuff decision by NM is suppost to help limit stretch as well

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Can you raise the scrog frame a bit?

I see 3 decent options.

1. Take 1 more week and top the plants then tie up that scrog frame and keep tucking branched for a week the flip and tuck for 1 more week before letting them shoot up. This will give much more lateral growth and a nice even canopy likely increasing your yield.

2. Raise the scrog net to about 4" below the top of the plants and start tucking and flip immediately. Tuck for 1 week then let em go.

3. Flip and supercrop. I have no experience doing this so I will leave it to you to research and others if they can fill you in how they go about it and at what times.

Do you have a pk boost? New info is suggesting you should feed a pk boost a week before flip. During stretch they are nutrient hogs and indoor the increase in P will help signal the plant to flower. That's the science info behind it. So personally I would go with option 1.

Last edited:
Dan789

Dan789

Added to what @Anthem said, check the mounting of your light for ways that can be shortened. Also spread out a some netting, and as all of the new growth pops through, that will certainly be bendable to keep you still inside the tent... then when this grow’s completed get a proper height tent, and avoid the trauma for next grow.

Here’s what I did on my bluples, to add some space a few years back, your fixture may not be mounted the same way, but maybe give you some idea what you can do...

84EEF00B AAC5 4BEF 8311 1FC7106B2A97
Anthem

Anthem

I see 3 decent options.

1. Take 1 more week and top the plants then tie up that scrog frame and keep tucking branch for a week the flip and tick for 1 more week before letting them shoot up. This will give much more lateral growth and a nice even canopy likely increasing your yield.

2. Raise the scrog net to about 4" below the top of the plants and start tucking and flip immediately. Tuck for 1 week then let em go.

3. Flip and supercrop. I have no experience doing this so I will leave it to you to research and other is they can fill you in how they go about it and at what times.

Do you have a pk boost? New info is suggesting you should feed a pk boost a week before flip. During stretch they are nutrient hogs and indoor the increase in P will help signal the plant to flower. That's the science info behind it. So personally I would go with option 1.
aquaman, I think you do the PK boost the first week of flower. I have not used the decision stuff but I have done it a couple times with Moab. Moab actually lists the information on the bottle. I did see some issues I did not like with the PK boost. It has a tendency to pull alot of nutrients out of the lower growth. If you do it and wait until like week 3 to cut off the bottom 1/3 of the growth it would work out better.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter

I see 3 decent options.

1. Take 1 more week and top the plants then tie up that scrog frame and keep tucking branch for a week the flip and tick for 1 more week before letting them shoot up. This will give much more lateral growth and a nice even canopy likely increasing your yield.

3. Flip and supercrop. I have no experience doing this so I will leave it to you to research and other is they can fill you in how they go about it and at what times.

All great info. One question. Recommendations on a PK booster? And you only run it a week before flip? Or run it like first 2-3 weeks than back off?

Anthem

Anthem

All great info. One question. Recommendations on a PK booster? And you only run it a week before flip? Or run it like first 2-3 weeks than back off?
Burnz I had to look up the information on Madd Farmer for Moab. You use it the first week only. The stuff is kind like rocket fuel. Numbers are off the charts like 0-37-52. You have to really be careful with the stuff because it is so high in P&K. Lastly, you can use it the last 2 or 3 weeks as well. I really am not a fan of the stuff. It seems to pull too much nutrient out of the rest of the plant. But again if you do it the first week and then defoliate like the 3 week you can probably get away with little issues on the bottom parts of the plant. I want to say I only did about half the dozage.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Burnz I had to look up the information on Madd Farmer for Moab. You use it the first week only. The stuff is kind like rocket fuel. Numbers are off the charts like 0-37-52. You have to really be careful with the stuff because it is so high in P&K. Lastly, you can use it the last 2 or 3 weeks as well. I really am not a fan of the stuff. It seems to pull too much nutrient out of the rest of the plant. But again if you do it the first week and then defoliate like the 3 week you can probably get away with little issues on the bottom parts of the plant. I want to say I only did about half the dozage.
Holy hell. Ya rocket fuel it sure is🤣 thanks anthem hope all is well.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well I just use MPK (monopotassium phosphate) but there are plenty out there and all are very similar.

I was going to run only a week before flip until end of stretch. I am rethinking this after some conversations and @dirtbags thread. It's not as simple as just dump it in IMO. But yes a week before flip. I'm not in position to advise on later in flower.

Previously like @Anthem I ditched the ok all together because I found it could interfere with my nutrients and now I understand what was wrong. I don't see any issue running without it. But if used properly it can help a grow. If not it can hurt your grow and I'm still in the process of figuring this out for myself. For someone new grower I would say a week before flip until end of stretch. Now this is a lot different then switching to bloom nutrients and adding pk... Imo that is a no-no. If using bloom nutrients there is no need for pk boost. But I also feel cutting nitrogen to soon is not good.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Well I just use MPK (monopotassium phosphate) but there are plenty out there and all are very similar.

I was going to run only a week before flip until end of stretch. I am rethinking this after some conversations and @dirtbags thread. It's not as simple as just dump it in IMO. But yes a week before flip. I'm not in position to advise on later in flower.

Previously like @Anthem I ditched the ok all together because I found it could interfere with my nutrients and now I understand what was wrong. I don't see any issue running without it. But if used properly it can help a grow. If not it can hurt your grow and I'm still in the process of figuring this out for myself. For someone new grower I would say a week before flip until end of stretch. Now this is a lot different then switching to bloom nutrients and adding pk... Imo that is a no-no. If using bloom nutrients there is no need for pk boost. But I also feel cutting nitrogen to soon is not good.
So safe to say since I am using the foliage pro and protekt, my next run a week before flip through stretch I may be able to experiment with it since no bloom nutrients? Foliage pro N is pretty stable throughout full cycle with the added protekt NPK is 9-3-9

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So safe to say since I am using the foliage pro and protekt, my next run a week before flip through stretch I may be able to experiment with it since no bloom nutrients? Foliage pro N is pretty stable throughout full cycle with the added protekt NPK is 9-3-9
Yes I would use pk boost from a week before.

You will need to lower grow a bit to account for the extra ppm so the ratio changes but ppm is almost the same. Kinda like making you own bloom nutrient with a bit more nitrogen

Anthem

Anthem

I do not recommend a PK booster earlier in Flower. It has adverse effects on the plant. If I was going to do it I would not start until after flip. Aquaman what is your thinking on using it before?

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I do not recommend a PK booster earlier in Flower. It has adverse effects on the plant. If I was going to do it I would not start until after flip. Aquaman what is your thinking on using it before?
I am not positive but I think that’s what dirtbag did. If not the week before definitely the first week. Maybe he can elaborate on it more.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes before... 1 week.

Anthem

Anthem

Yes I would use pk boost from a week before.

You will need to lower grow a bit to account for the extra ppm so the ratio changes but ppm is almost the same. Kinda like making you own bloom nutrient with a bit more nitrogen
I must not be understanding this correctly. By lowering the PPMs of your base and adding a PK booster, that seems to be like just switching to bloom nutrients.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I must not be understanding this correctly. By lowering the PPMs of your base and adding a PK booster, that seems to be like just switching to bloom nutrients.
Yes kinda but not as much as most traditional bloom nutrients. It's more changing the ratio. While still keep decent N values.

chinacat420

chinacat420

Unfortunately, the 72" high tents do not leave much room for mistakes or miss judgement. You might have to consider some options. Looks like you could pick up an inch or two by changing out what you have the plants sitting on. Consider 1" x 2" lumber. I would soak in bleach before placing in the tent. Also the lights can be a little closer later in flower. You could always consider adding something the stuff decision by NM is suppost to help limit stretch as well
Back in the day (25-30 years ago) I grew plants (clones from my BF at the time) in my bedroom closet with a 400W HPS and never had them grow like this, but back then the genetics were different, there were no hot soils and nutes like today. Anyway, good point on the plant stands, they’re 2”, we’ve got some 1” lumber in the garage. I am able to turn down the lights, although it would be a PITA to do; I had to raise them up pretty high to keep leaves from curling and tips from browning, so hopefully I’ll have some wiggle room if they can be lowered during flowering. Thank you for your input!

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

Back in the day (25-30 years ago) I grew plants (clones from my BF at the time) in my bedroom closet with a 400W HPS and never had them grow like this, but back then the genetics were different, there were no hot soils and nutes like today. Anyway, good point on the plant stands, they’re 2” in the; we’ve got some 1” lumber in the garage. I am able to turn down the lights, although it would be a PITA to do; I had to raise them up pretty high to keep leaves from curling and tips from browning, so hopefully I’ll have some wiggle room if they can be lowered during flowering.
After reading the post aquaman did on SOG I would do as he suggested and raise your SOG frame and start weaving the plant thru. It will save you alot of headaches down the road.

chinacat420

chinacat420

I see 3 decent options.

Unfortunately can’t raise the ScrOG frame any but your options 1 & 2 sound doable; I’m not feeling adventurous to try #3 at this time but I will look it up for the info. I didn’t think about being able to weave the tops of the plants through the net, DOH! Thank you for the advice!

chinacat420

chinacat420

Thanks y’all for the advice and input! I think I have a plan on what to do now. I know the most logical thing would be to just move them outside; I’ve already got four out there as it is. That’s why the ScrOG net isn’t there right now - I had to take it out b/c there was no room for the plants...it’s a long story about how I ended up with so many seedlings, and I’ve already given (sold) several plants. I want to do the best I can with these two girls as I foresee issues later in the summer with powdery mildew, and uncooperative weather in September/early October (knock on wood x3). Thanks again everyone!

Top Bottom