Plants Pre Flowering

• Thread starter Augestwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Augestwest

Augestwest

That looks like the way my cuttings go wen iv left em in small pots ina "holding pattern" to save space.when i pot em on and let em veg in fresh soil they start growing fine again bit if space/pot size is an issue then you could trim an inch or two from the bottom of the root zone and fill it back up with fresh soil and put it back under the light.this should take it out its funk in a couple of weeks of veg.but you really dont want to flip a root bound plant(or i dont anyway)i find it harder to keep my plant in top condition when relying completely on bottled organic nutes because of depleted soil caused by root bound plants.but those are just my findings.could be difernt for others.i know plenty of people can keep plants in good health in small root bound pots but not me.lol.
That's the case here iv been tying not to repot them. only 2-3 of the 14 plants I have are showing signs of flowering. I'm fimiliar with a plant starting to show its sex and this is def beyond that. looka like a plant would look like inbetween week 1-2 of flowering

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

@Toaster79 I like you, so please don't take my opposing view as an opposition to you personally.

There are two different things we are talking about, root bound plants and plants starting to flower. I can't and wont speak on the root bound being the cause, because I always error on the side of bigger pots. I grow in 500 gallon beds, per plant.

"IF" we are talking about a plant that is flowering because the 15.5 hour light cycle on a clone plant isn't keeping the plant in veg..... Then in my experience you will loose a lot of time and energy on growing a plant that ends up lackluster. There is also no doubt that even though the days are getting longer, that doesn't mean the plant can't flower. Lets take the extreme of this..... Lets say there is 1 hour of light but tomorrow there will be 1 hour 2 minutes.......The plant would flower right? So there must be a cut off point where flowering will begin whether the hours of light or increasing or not right? Then we have to take into consideration the natural sunlight hours of the native geographic's of the plant. That will vary also right? A week or two of bad cloudy weather, that will effect things also right?

Let me put it another way. I have been growing outdoors for 15+ years. When I first started there was no internet sight I could go to and find out when the right time to put seeds out. Trial and error began. First I would notice last years seeds popping up around March naturally, must be time to pop seeds right? Well, time and time again a % of the plants would be very lackluster even though they were given the same nutes, start date, ext. Then I started to read and understand plant physiology, and begin to understand the factors that would cause my plants to flower early. Then over the next 5 or so years I started sprouting in May and the reveg plants were down to almost zero. Now I know, no matter what I do,(beside supplemental lighting) a % of plants will flower early, and I always have a back up to replace the flowering plant. This can happen in May, or in June and go back into veg before the normal August flower. I repeat, I will always replace a early flowering plant if possible.

Now I pop seeds in waves, March through April with the majority being on Holy week. I throw out the flowering plants and pop extra seeds. Done deal.

If you want to be 100% about seeds and especially clones not flowering early, then a simple 40w equivalent LED or compact florescent will keep a large plant in veg. When doing this, I turn on the supplemental lights at 4am. I try to stay away from wasted watts however.

Toaster79

Toaster79

I understand all of this and I have high respect for all of you outdoor experienced cats. No hard feelings.

But what i thought we we're talking about were preflowering plants showing sex. So they are shooting single pistils between stem and petiole. As the plants didn't start to flower until now under 15h light cycle they also won't start outside be it a sunny day or cloudy. You said for yourself that all there is needed to keep a mature plant out of flower is a 40W equivalent light. On a cloudy day you will have much more than that early in the morning on sunrise and late in the evening on sunset.

Now to the plants that actually started to flower under 15h light cycle. I totaly agree with you on this one as it will take a month for the plant to get hormones back on trach and started growing normally.

So after OP's final statment that 2-3 of the plants are actually flowering and not only showing sex I agree they would be waste of time grown outside unless beeing light deprivated to prevent reveg.

Keep it green!

H

happy b

I understand all of this and I have high respect for all of you outdoor experienced cats. No hard feelings.

But what i thought we we're talking about were preflowering plants showing sex. So they are shooting single pistils between stem and petiole. As the plants didn't start to flower until now under 15h light cycle they also won't start outside be it a sunny day or cloudy. You said for yourself that all there is needed to keep a mature plant out of flower is a 40W equivalent light. On a cloudy day you will have much more than that early in the morning on sunrise and late in the evening on sunset.

Now to the plants that actually started to flower under 15h light cycle. I totaly agree with you on this one as it will take a month for the plant to get hormones back on trach and started growing normally.

So after OP's final statment that 2-3 of the plants are actually flowering and not only showing sex I agree they would be waste of time grown outside unless beeing light deprivated to prevent reveg.

Keep it green!
Hahaha iv no bloody idea what you guys are talking about.were i live we get a half hour of sunshine sometime during August(If we,r lucky)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Photoperiod, brother, and whether or not the plant will continue flowering as Bulldog11 says (and I agree with based on the photos, IMO those ladies should be light depped, not simply put out to finish flowering, cuz I don't think they will finish flowering for the reasons Bulldog11 stated). Because even if it's full cloud cover, it's still daytime, right?

I just discovered two days ago that my timer that was keeping my AC/DC cut in veg had become unplugged. She's tossing singles now, along with little calyxes and pistils. She's got to be put back into veg, so I've also taken cuttings (that are going to do the same thing) and I'll have to wait about 6 weeks before she can actually be put out.

My experience with regard to clones (a plant that is already sexually mature) vs seed starts matches Bulldog's pretty much exactly.

Last edited:
Bulldog11

Bulldog11

For the record, cloudy weather will effect the length of day light hours. Obviously at 12 noon, there is enough light even in the worst of storms. However, at dawn and dusk, there is a considerable difference in daylight with bad weather. For example, when you are calculating your daylight hours to match your indoor set up, you don't just take sun up to sun down. You have to add 15 - 30 minutes on each side of sun up or down, because light begins to fill the sky before sun rise, and after sun set. This is called: Sun rise & sun set, civil twilight, nautical twilight, astronomical twilight. Shown here on a graph labeled Sun and Moon about half way down the webpage: http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/94402:4:US

Now taking that into consideration, we know that light is still being delivered before sun up, and after sun set. So, will a cloudy day take away day light hours? IME, yes, it can make a big difference, up to an hour a day difference. Light being delivered after the sun has set, needs clear sky to continue to have enough intensity to effect the plants photo periods. Hope this makes sense.

Augestwest

Augestwest

Is there a place on here where ppl advertise clones???? I'm on the hunt for some good outside fast flowering strains as I'm gonna light dep what I have now for a early crop

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sorry, that's something I'm not familiar with. I know folks advertise on CL a lot, but I can't vouch for going that route.

Top Bottom