Plants Start Drooping Toward Night Time

• Thread starter ArmedGeek
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PharmHand

I'm running 18/6 veg light. Three weeks in veg (about the time they started stinking) i have noticed three hours prior to night, the plants start drooping. When this occurs, they look extremely pitiful and sad, very sad.
Am I the only person here who knows that literally all cannabis plants droop right before lights out? Ya'll mothafuckas need to spend more time with your plants.
If your plants are drooping three hours before lights out there is massive room for improvement

London bud

London bud

Mine do it in veg sometimes too. There's something called the daily light integral, it has to do with the amount of light intensity and duration a plant receives in a 24 period. It's usually recommended ( by lighting companies like gavita)that you veg with less intensity than flowering because the plant is typically receiving 50% or more hours of light per day 18vs 12. This is because a plant can only process so much intense light in a day. In nature a plant would NEVER receive 18 hours of intense light in a day.

When your plants droop like that the stomata are mostly closed which means it's not photosynthesizing efficiently maybe even photorespiring which actually wastes energy. I would bet if you or @CaliRooted were to dim your lights or reduce intensity for the entire 18 hour period your plants would stay perky for the whole lights on period.

Guys like jungle boys have realized this so to save electricity they'll veg for 12 hours intense light and 6 not so intense. I used to work at a coop where the rooms were on 12 hour flip flops, when our veg room was full we'd veg in the flower rooms 12 hours intense 6 hours overhead fluorescents and the plants grew just as fast as the veg room plants. You'll hear guys say that you can veg under 24 light and you can but try doing it with intense light and you'll end up w some sick looking droopy plants....... I'm a geek too bro:eyepiece:
I had this happen in the past, it's definetely caused by to much light, its a sign shes tired n needs a rest. maybe turn them off an hour earlier or if you can like pharmhand said, dim em a bit. I believe it'll solve your droopiness

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

If ya read back In post it was already stated by afew of us.

London bud

London bud

Am I the only person here who knows that literally all cannabis plants droop right before lights out? Ya'll mothafuckas need to spend more time with your plants.
They dont all droop, outdoors they might cos the light dims slowly but when my plants are under full lights indoors and being watered properly there up and awake till I turn the lights off, then they droop

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

When trees droop at night, they might actually be ‘sleeping’

P

PharmHand

When trees droop at night, they might actually be ‘sleeping’
If your plants are drooping 3 hours before lights out you are wasting light energy. You could turn your brights off 4 hours prior to scheduled lights off and replace those last 4 hours with low intensity light and get the same amount of growth. Or u could reduce intensity/dim your lights for the duration of the full lights on schedule and achieve the same growth. Different strains and plants have varying limits of what they can handle in a day. The temperature and humidity of your growing environment and how it changes from day to night (temp drop at lights out vs no temp drop etc) as well as the stage the plants are in : veg/ vegetative early bloom/ full on bloom, and the condition/size of the root system relative to plant size also whether that particular plant has experienced drought like conditions (dry medium) previously. I know the droop you’re referring to at lights out when the plants appear to be resting and that can happen to a perfectly healthy plant in a suitable environment, completely normal. But it also can be completely eliminated by manipulating conditions. Canna plants most definitely do this more so in veg and early bloom and almost never in late flower possibly due to the plant channeling its energy in favor of bud development vs root development etc. Anyhow, it’s an incredibly complex process and isn’t as simple as all weed plants droop at night. There’s a lot of science and info out there on this subject if you’re truly interested. Happy growing :)

Medigrow

Medigrow

I'm wondering if that's not the reason about the 6on/2off cycle... That would make sense, seems my girls are going in a droopy mode 1-2 hours before bedtime :)

I think I will try 6/2 cycle on next run

Madmax

Madmax

I get it sometimes outside must b to do with temp and humidity..my plants get full sun all day..

DevonD

DevonD

Hey guys thought I’d chime in since I have a camera in my tent that shows the cycles to a T.

I’m running 18/6 as well starting at 5 AM-11PM.

Around 5 PM (12 hours in) I notice they begin to droop. At around 1 AM they hit their lowest point but also begin perking up around that time. By 5 AM they are always at around 80-90% height and the cycle continues.

I will add in regards to humidity- it gets to around 75% at night and they will perk right up through that until it gets to 50%.

I almost wonder if the decreased humidity is the reason they droop...

Strain is Zookies and I’m running soil & LEDs

BustaB

BustaB

Hello I am new to the site & don't mean to intrude but I ran across this issue some 30+yrs ago, did some research & found the term " Light Saturation " it was life changing in regard to growing indoors, it's natural for plants to " wilt " a bit in the latter part of the day cycle, However it can get out of hand pretty easy if you are using a HID system. Plants can only Process so much light in a cycle & when that plant reaches it's Saturation point it begins to Wilt ( most times @ end of day ) Consider the Plant like a Sponge in your hand, if you put the sponge under running water it can only absorb so much water before the water just runs off, Plants are a lot like the sponge they can only absorb so much light before they begin to react ( wilt ) because they can only process so much light & I have seen the same thing Outdoors as well later in the afternoon the plants will begin to wilt but in the Morning they are Perky once again. Just an Old mans 2 cents

Derbmeister13

Derbmeister13

I have the same problem. Temp about 80 humidity 60 6 5 ph 2 fans blowing in side .I do vent ac in my grow room to keep the heat down .they look great all day until its time for the lights to go off

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I have the same problem. Temp about 80 humidity 60 6 5 ph 2 fans blowing in side .I do vent ac in my grow room to keep the heat down .they look great all day until its time for the lights to go off
This is the natural cycle...nothing wrong with them. Here is a time-lapse of a week in veg....every day they go through that cycle.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I think this phenomenon is what used to cause me to over water back in the day too...I would see the droop and think "it's the end of a long hot day they must be thirsty!" Then water right before lights out...ugh terrible! Lol

OilHead

OilHead

This is totally a normal part of the cycle. Don't overthink it or change what you're doing, especially if they're looking better by morning. I'm definitely dragging by the end of a long day too - a good night's rest works wonders for us all!

william76

william76

This is totally a normal part of the cycle. Don't overthink it or change what you're doing, especially if they're looking better by morning. I'm definitely dragging by the end of a long day too - a good night's rest works wonders for us all!
Exactly!, anymore than 17 hours light and its wasted,they don't process it efficiently after that,76

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Exactly!, anymore than 17 hours light and its wasted,they don't process it efficiently after that,76
Interesting. So why do people always run 18/6? When it could be 17/7.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Interesting. So why do people always run 18/6? When it could be 17/7.
Cause it's just the way Ive always done things ok!!? Stop asking questions!😅🤣

Have you heard of gaslighting or 6/2 method? Lots of interesting ways to light the plants. I'm curious too about the 17/7, Power savings is good.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Cause it's just the way Ive always done things ok!!? Stop asking questions!😅🤣

Have you heard of gaslighting or 6/2 method? Lots of interesting ways to light the plants. I'm curious too about the 17/7, Power savings is good.
Haha.. true that. I think there would be a bit more stretch with the extra hour of rest. Maybe that would minimize the stretch in flower.. hmmm 🤔 I’ll run 17/7 in the veg tent once these beans pop.

Top Bottom