Plants won’t finish up?

• Thread starter Bullmark69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bullmark69

Bullmark69

I am really at my wits end. I’m growing 3 autos, under a 320w led, in Ocean Forest. It’s taken them over 16 weeks to get to this point….which is still not ripe. I’ve grown plenty outside in the past and have seen my fair share of buds grow start to finish. Some take longer than others but these are making me scratch my head in total confusion.
They are Super Skunk autos and supposed to be indica leaning.
From the start, which seems like years ago, they were very different phenos.
But they are all equally slow doing their thing.
To cut to the chase, all of the plants are almost finished but have looked that way for weeks. Here’s a quick rundown of the 3……it’s plant 3 that concerns me.
Plant 1 is the closest….looks killer, rock hard buds, looks ripe, no more white pistils, nice and frosty….but almost no amber trichs. It’s been the same for about 2 weeks.
Plant 2 is not far behind…still a few white pistils here and there….but has taken its sweet time. ….and no ambers…none.
Plant 3 is the one I’m worried about and it figures it’s the largest. Still a few white pistils being produced and, strangely, the old pistils are not receding. Most have turned but are still long and unruly. It’s covered in trichomes but no ambers. And the plant has been this way for weeks. I’ve continued to feed a titrating amount of nutes…..I’m not a “flusher”.
I’m really worried that something bad is gonna happen if this continues. Like a fool I overly defoliated the plants about a month ago….so they don’t have much left to run on.
I need some help, advice or just reassurance. I was thinking about just giving water in hopes that it may finish up….there are a few green leaves still there.
Lemme hear your thoughts…..and thank u.
You should be able to tell which plant is the problem child in the pics.
Plants wont finish up
Plants wont finish up 2
Plants wont finish up 3

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You're close. I would just relax and make sure your humidity is low enough so that you won't get bud rot. Bud rot is probably the only big thing that could go wrong, at this point. BTW, I see nothing that would indicate bud rot in these pics. Don't become paranoid about it.

If you were growing photos and vegged for 6 weeks, that would be 10 weeks of flower. Give photoperiod plants a try next time. You've got a tent. You might like the control photos give you.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

Hey thanks for the calm voice of reason…I need it. I can see a tent in my future, but right now I’m in the closet of a one room “cottage” behind my home. It’s my home office and has all the amenities of my actual house, it’s just detached.
I’d much rather grow photos but the light control issue is a deal breaker right now. Too many obstacles to overcome at the moment. But I am working in that direction.
Growing the autos has been fun and I think I could improve big time from this first go round. Raising my temps and tweaking the medium would be first on the list.
I’ve been continuing to feed these girls and I changing that up today. 2 of the 3 need water and it’s only water they will get. Maybe if they tap into and out of the terminal reserves they’ll finally see fit to finish.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

So it’s now been another week and the only development was more leaves are dying off. None of the 3 plants have any significant amounts of amber trichs….maybe 2-3% total on each plant. I’ll see a small cluster on a calyx where there’s 3 or 4 ambers mixed in among the cloudy ones but that’s it for the entire bud.
I took some advice and lowered my lights off temps to the low-mid 60s.. I also watered the last time with very chilled water. I realize Rome wasn’t built in a day but you’d think the pistils would be receding and some amber trichs would start showing up.
My fear is with 2 of the 3 have very few leaves left and they’re dying off by the day.
I’ve given up hope for this grow to win the Cannabis Cup but I’d like to see it finish out where it’s not speed racer weed and has a little bit of bag appeal….a good chunk of my harvest is going to be a gift and i want it to be decent smoke.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

Amber trichs don't make it better. More and more, growers are starting to realize trich color is not the determining factor in ripeness and potency. Harvest when the bud is ripe.
I couldn’t agree more.
That kinda solves my issue with the one plant that actually appears ripe. The other two are stuck in neutral. Weeks of looking almost exactly the same. White hairs not turning….orange hairs not receding….but both plants are covered in cloudy trichs, more so than the ripe plant.
Im a patient man…I can let ‘em go as long as it takes. My only fear is the lack of leaves still alive. One has a few but the other is really bare….and every day it gets worse. I’m keeping my RH low, in the low 30s, to prevent bud rot and mold. But how can a plant progress if it doesn’t have any leaves?

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

Those pics are from a week ago and many of those sad dying leaves are no longer attached….may they RIP.

growsince79

growsince79

I couldn’t agree more.
That kinda solves my issue with the one plant that actually appears ripe. The other two are stuck in neutral. Weeks of looking almost exactly the same. White hairs not turning….orange hairs not receding….but both plants are covered in cloudy trichs, more so than the ripe plant.
Im a patient man…I can let ‘em go as long as it takes. My only fear is the lack of leaves still alive. One has a few but the other is really bare….and every day it gets worse. I’m keeping my RH low, in the low 30s, to prevent bud rot and mold. But how can a plant progress if it doesn’t have any leaves?
You might have started flushing a bit too soon. I like to time it to where the fans turn yellow and the sugar is still green. Dead sugars make it harder to trim and taste like shit. I'd worry more about that than perfect color trichs - which is different for every plant anyways imo.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

I don’t flush as a finishing step. I’ll flush to reset my medium if I think it needs it.
At this point as a leaf dies off I’ll clip it….if they’re yellow I’ll hold off but all the dead and yellow leaves will be clipped off before I smoke it.
As of right now most all of the tiniest sugar leaves are hanging on.
I kinda think my massive defoliation threw the plants into a tailspin. Not only did I take away their reserves but stressed the hell out of them as well. I have continued to feed very light doses of bloom nutes with the exception of the last watering, which was only water and Recharge.
You grow and learn that’s for sure. And I’ve learned a lot about indoor growing over the last 3 -4 months.
Anyway, thanks for the input from everyone.

Top Bottom