Plasma Bulbs

• Thread starter GDS StonerBoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GDS StonerBoy

Plasma Lighting! The Future?!

Could this be the future in indoor growing? Tell me what ya guys think?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGsM9pplUs[/YOUTUBE]

P

ProGroWannabe

Hey bro what's been up?

So far, all the plasma technology I've seen, required a microwave source to heat the material in the puck. I'm not sure if this one in the video is different. But if it doesn't require a microwave source, then plasma lighting in a grow room just got one huge step closer.

G

GDS StonerBoy

I looked through there site a bit after watching that vid but i dont think they are for sale atm. They look great i wonder how stable they are. Seems to be much more brighter than modern HID bulbs and a fraction of ther size.

G

GDS StonerBoy

Hey bro what's been up?

So far, all the plasma technology I've seen, required a microwave source to heat the material in the puck. I'm not sure if this one in the video is different. But if it doesn't require a microwave source, then plasma lighting in a grow room just got one huge step closer.

Been good, the garden is coming along nicely!

They were talking about the puck in the vid but i dont believe they mentioned anything about requiring a microwave source but your probably right about that.

On the site that Ripz linked me to, they have another video of a similar light but the bulb seems to be a bit bigger. I think its a different system.

mace

mace

From what i understand they are bringing a street light to production this summer. I dunno, there news section isn't always that clear.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Somebody did a grow with them on another forum. Apparently it's all about what bulb you use, last i heard the guy that did the comparison grow was wanting to try a different spectrum. I remember the buds under the plasma didn't develop as fast as the ones under the HPS.

P

ProGroWannabe

johnny....please tell us you have a link to that grow...........

666elsie

I called em in CA.about 6 months inquiring about there product,was not the first the girl told me all the hydroponic growers were calling inquiring too.So far they only have the one SPEC. lite. this is still in it's infancy,the best is yet to come!!

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Well i just didn't wanna post a link to another forum, didn't know if that was cool to do around here. Oh but i have a link....!

P

ProGroWannabe

Sure..post it up!

The admin here are cooler than they are at alot of other sites.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
No worries johnny, just don't point anyone to a site with security comprises or malicious content and it's all good.

K

Kalcu

Hey Johnny, maybe they could work on different spectrum. I know it is probably pretty certain what the spectrum looks like, it's not different like MH and HPS....but it would be interesting if they could lean one way or another at a flick of a switch. That was amazingly bright and seems more promising than the LED's, however to grow for flowering buds they will need that fall spectrum that the angled atmosphere produces. Perhaps they could put some sort of gas around that bends light or does something to produce the orange and red.

Maybe in 15 years we will see some new ideas that are far better than what people have just been improving.

P

ProGroWannabe

I'll stick my neck out and make a prediction.....with all the supposed plans for greener energy production, as well as more efficient ways to use it from Obama's speeches, I bet the lighting industry is getting more funding than ever before. SO, I predict that we will see LOTS of lighting developments in the next couple of years. Time will tell......

K

Kalcu

I think your neck will be okay. I just checked out the link, the yield doesn't look that sorry. Not all that different than flowering with an MH, nice resin too. I bet it's hard to beat resin with other indoor lights than the plasma. I am curious, does the plasma bulb not radiate heat? They said that it gets so hot inside the plasma field, I'm curious as to how it doesn't radiate out.

I bet a plasma and an HPS would be a real nice grow, the best of both.

P

ProGroWannabe

Yeah, I'd say that a combination of plasma and HPS might be a great one.

B

British_Hempire

You can buy Plasma lights already, LG do one, it's 719ukp though for a 730w one. I will probably doing a test grow with one later this year.

You can buy them here:

The price has fallen 30ukp in 3 months, hope they continue to get cheaper!

Plasma lights are not complicated at all, it's just a glass envelope full of exotic gases with a cavity magnetron (same as you have in a microwave oven) on one end, the microwaves it produces excite the plasma causing light emission. The spectrum of this LG light is 6000K, far too cool to be ideal for flowering, but good for veg. The big issue I see with it is the 120 degree beam angle, which isn't very good light distribution.

P

ProGroWannabe

I sincerely hope you have the time to document that test grow, BH. Many many people would sure love to see it.

What about setting up the plasma bulb to fire THROUGH a few lower wattage HPS bulbs? Wouldn't that allow a mixing of the spectrums of both?

Latest posts

Top Bottom