Plasma lights tell me more

• Thread starter vuitton
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vuitton

vuitton

hello all, not been online for a while, but here i am. im thinking of changing one of my rooms to plasma lighting from hps. not used plasmas before so was looking for any advice from plasma users.
cheers.

P

paulycali

I have only heard great things from users. Haven't personally used them but can say from what i've heard and a few pics that the plasmas by gavita are top notch for sure

Reebs

Reebs

whats up Vuitton,

so i recently had been doing a ton of research on plasma lighting for the past 3 months or so and everything i read at first was saying that you can't beat the spectrum and the buds off a plasma light are top notch! now this info was based on very few growers and just recently i read this huge article on a guy who did a side by side with HPS in one room, plasma in another, and plasma with HPS in another room, all same strain and growing medium and everything.

Long story short he came to the conclusion that the plasma lighting by itself doesn't cut it. and the best way to incorp the plasma lighting is to have HPS or MH as stationary Lighting and then have the plasma on a light mover very close to the tops of plants. reason being was that the plasma lights just don't throw out strong light, plasma lights have a hard time penetrating threw the top canopy to the lower and inner plant, but the spectrum and energy they give the plant on top of HPS really makes a diference.

in conclusion i decided to wait on a $5,000-$9,000 plasma light until either the price comes down or they figure out how to make the light stronger.

hope this helps, but honestly some mild google searching on the matter is how i found all my info, most home growers or even commercial growers haven't really ventured off into plasma lighting to much yet. most of the time you hear about breeders using them, i have no clue the reason why but from what i've read thats what i've noticed

hope this helps

- Reebs

Reebs

Reebs

just found this on a local grow shops website

Plasma-Spectrum-300x150.png
The latest in lighting technology is the LEP – Light Emitting Plasma system, or “plasma lighting”. These lights are unique in that they have a very long bulb life – 30,000 hours, or about 7 years when used for 12 hours a day. While the initial price is higher than buying a separate ballast, hood, and bulb, you will see a return on your investment in the first few years since you don’t need to buy new bulbs. The spectrum provided by plasma grow lights is very close to that of sunlight. In addition, more UV light is emitted, which results in plants with denser structure – plants that produce essential oils generally produce more when exposed to UV light.
Gavita-Pro-300-LEP-300x147.png
Plasma lights come with a built-in ballast. Heat production is minimal, but air-cooled versions are available. Currently LEP systems top out around 300 watts, but the overall energy delivered to the plant is more than a standard 300 watt bulb. Hung approximately 1.5 feet above your garden, you’ll get a 4′ x 4′ area illuminated. We’ve seen incredible growth compared to all other light types – come ask about the avocado tree in our Ft. Collins store!
After testing in our stores, we’ve found that using a combination of high pressure sodium (HPS) lights with plasma lights yields the best results. Come in to one of our stores and discuss your design requirements – we can help you engineer a cutting-edge lighting solution.

vuitton

vuitton

thanks for the info reebs, the research that i have done and what i have heard from colleagues is pretty much as you have said witht the only difference, a mate has been using plasmas on a track as u suggested except he had them setup on the vertical (rather than horizontal being the norm) and he found he got better penetration this way, (nb with hps from above or on the horizontal). im thinking i may give this a go.... food for thought. cheers V

whazzup

whazzup

plasma lamps with the 41.xx series emitters need to be used aiming downward +/- 60 degrees. The light density is very high, higher than HPS. Penetration in the crop it really good and this effect is enhanced by the different shape of the plant and the positioning of the leafs under plasma light

Top Bottom