Please give advice and/or suggestions

• Thread starter Fckit712
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Fckit712

I have some supplies for a soil preparation that I think will get the job done for outdoors. Please let me know if you'd add or remove something from the mix. Cheers

Jungle Growth Soil 75% of mix - Has slight amounts of Nitrogen and Potassium
Perlite 10% of mix
Worm castings 15% of mix
Dolomite Lime. 1 cup For 20 gallons
Potassium - 1/4 cup
Blood meal 1 cup
Bone meal 1 cup

F

Fckit712

Thought about adding some manure to the mix as well. Just gotta figure my ratio.

Mothman

Mothman

I have some supplies for a soil preparation that I think will get the job done for outdoors. Please let me know if you'd add or remove something from the mix. Cheers

Jungle Growth Soil 75% of mix - Has slight amounts of Nitrogen and Potassium
Perlite 10% of mix
Worm castings 15% of mix
Dolomite Lime. 1 cup For 20 gallons
Potassium - 1/4 cup
Blood meal 1 cup
Bone meal 1 cup
I’m an indoor grower, so limited input from me. However, I just started using dolomite lime and will likely continue in future grows. I think you’re using too little. I’m in 3-gal fabric pots. I up potted from 3qts to final 3 gallon pots using a mix of 91% FFOF, 9% coarse perlite, and 2/3 cup of dolomite lime. I was surprised how effective the dolomite lime was at keeping the pH buffered to around 6.5, plus the gradual sustained release of calcium and magnesium for nutrition.

Did you get a recommendation for 1 cup per 20 gallon pot? I think 1 cup per 3 gallons of potting mix is what I found recommended. But I’m not familiar with your soil mix.

F

Fckit712

I’m an indoor grower, so limited input from me. However, I just started using dolomite lime and will likely continue in future grows. I think you’re using too little. I’m in 3-gal fabric pots. I up potted from 3qts to final 3 gallon pots using a mix of 91% FFOF, 9% coarse perlite, and 2/3 cup of dolomite lime. I was surprised how effective the dolomite lime was at keeping the pH buffered to around 6.5, plus the gradual sustained release of calcium and magnesium for nutrition.

Did you get a recommendation for 1 cup per 20 gallon pot? I think 1 cup per 3 gallons of potting mix is what I found recommended. But I’m not familiar with your soil mix.
Its just something I'm throwing together with what I supplies i have on hand, minus the manure. Ok, up the Dolomite to 5 cups, since Im shooting to fill 5 3 gallon pots. I also thought about grabbing some sort of Organic soil mix that has better range of NPK as well. I also plan on being in 5 gallon pots eventually, as these are said to be "Giant".

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

From your first post I see that you are going to try an out door organic grow. I'm going to offer you some advice and hope that it helps you have a great grow. Unfortunately your choice in soil is not good for what I understand to be organic growing. This potting mix with a few amendments will not work as an organic soil. Don't bother adding cow poo. There are no worms to eat the poo, no fungi or microbial life in potting mix to break down the poo into a plant usable state. In order to grow organically the soil must be alive with fungi, microbes and the rest of the natural food web available in living soil. You won't need to add lime or Perlite. From what I can see Jungle grow potting mix is just that, potting mix with some chemical fertilizers added. You can grow in it but your going to have to use a man made chemical fertilizer like this not cow poo and bone meal. There is a way to use this stuff but it's not mixing it into potting mix
Promix

No blood meal bone meal or worm castings. They just won't work in potting mix even if it said organic ingredients on the bag. There is nothing living in the potting mix to break down the amendments your adding into a plant usable state.

If you truly want to grow organic please watch all of the videos in the link bellow. Nate has about 100 great videos on the subject. You will soon understand the difference between living organic soil and potting mix with organic ingredients that you have to use chemical fertilizers to feed your plants. I hope this helps you get sorted and you have a great grow. All the best Ron

Growing Organic buy Nate - Growing like a viking​

Last edited:
F

Fckit712

Ok I'll watch those. What if I was to cut the Manure, blood, and bone meal, and add something man made like Dr. Earth's Org 2:2:2? I know it's not the suggested 3:1:1 for veg, but would it be ok?

F

Fckit712

From your first post I see that you are going to try an out door organic grow. I'm going to offer you some advice and hope that it helps you have a great grow. Unfortunately your choice in soil is not good for what I understand to be organic growing. This potting mix with a few amendments will not work as an organic soil. Don't bother adding cow poo. There are no worms to eat the poo, no fungi or microbial life in potting mix to break down the poo into a plant usable state. In order to grow organically the soil must be alive with fungi, microbes and the rest of the natural food web available in living soil. You won't need to add lime or Perlite. From what I can see Jungle grow potting mix is just that, potting mix with some chemical fertilizers added. You can grow in it but your going to have to use a man made chemical fertilizer like this not cow poo and bone meal. There is a way to use this stuff but it's not mixing it into potting mix
View attachment 1977920
No blood meal bone meal or worm castings. They just won't work in potting mix even if it said organic ingredients on the bag. There is nothing living in the potting mix to break down the amendments your adding into a plant usable state.

If you truly want to grow organic please watch all of the videos in the link bellow. Nate has about 100 great videos on the subject. You will soon understand the difference between living organic soil and potting mix with organic ingredients that you have to use chemical fertilizers to feed your plants. I hope this helps you get sorted and you have a great grow. All the best Ron

Growing Organic buy Nate - Growing like a viking​

And thank you for the info. Cheers

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Ok I'll watch those. What if I was to cut the Manure, blood, and bone meal, and add something man made like Dr. Earth's Org 2:2:2? I know it's not the suggested 3:1:1 for veg, but would it be ok?
You can try it if you like. See how it works for you. I'd suggest that you mix 1 gallon jug of nice clean wood ash with 5 gallons of water. This is mineral water. Mix well and Add 1 cup of this mineral water once a week to a 2 gallon watering can of water when mixing nutrients. What ever nutrients you choose. I'm thinking that Dr Earth 2-2-2 would be a little light on the nitrogen content and hard to manage just how much the plant is getting. Something like Pro Mix 12-6-6 in a liquid form you could measure very carefully would be better. Or Miricle Grow 12-4-8 liquid will also work well for Veg. But mid season when the plant has finished streatching and is beginning to flower you will need to switch to something like 5-15-5 for flowering. I suggested Pro Mix because I have used it in the past and it is super easy. If you use wood ash as suggested threw out the grow it will provide all the minerals and micro nutrients the plant requires as well as Potassium, and Calcium in a form the plant can use.

F

Fckit712

You can try it if you like. See how it works for you. I'd suggest that you mix 1 gallon jug of nice clean wood ash with 5 gallons of water. This is mineral water. Mix well and Add 1 cup of this mineral water once a week to a 2 gallon watering can of water when mixing nutrients. What ever nutrients you choose. I'm thinking that Dr Earth 2-2-2 would be a little light on the nitrogen content and hard to manage just how much the plant is getting. Something like Pro Mix 12-6-6 in a liquid form you could measure very carefully would be better. Or Miricle Grow 12-4-8 will also work well for Veg. But mid season when the plant has finished streatching and is beginning to flower you will need to switch to something like 5-15-5 for flowering. I suggested Pro Mix because I have used it in the past and it is super easy. If you use wood ash as suggested it will provide all the minerals and micro nutrients the plant requires as well as Potassium, and Calcium in a form the plant can use.
Hell yeah. Appreciate it man🤙. I'm gonna take all that in and form a new soil ratio in the morning, and pick some supplies up. Cheers

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hell yeah. Appreciate it man🤙. I'm gonna take all that in and form a new soil ratio in the morning, and pick some supplies up. Cheers
Slow down a bit bud. Watch the videos. You can prepare for an organic grow next time. No reason you cannot use the potting mix you have. Just use the right kind of amendments for the potting mix you have for this grow. You need to fill up the pots with potting mix and and water with rain water or ground water. That's all. Then if you want PH test the run off and see what you have. You can get PH test strips on ebay or amazon cheep but it's likely your mix with rain water will be fine. You won't need Lime or anything else. Once you have the pots ready and it's warm enough crack your seed and get them started. As the mix you have is pre fertilized you won't need to feed for about 30 days maybe longer so you have plenty of time. Only wood ash water once a week. After 30 days when the plant starts getting light green start feeding nitrogen mix like 12-6-6, 1/2 strength and see how the plant responds. Once you have a big bush on your hands that requires more food give it full strength as suggested on the label. The big one is don't over water. This is very important. No need to go dropping a bunch of money on stuff you don't need. Keep it real simple and your plants will love you.

Last edited:
F

Fckit712

Slow down a bit bud. Watch the videos. You can prepare for an organic grow next time. No reason you cannot use the potting mix you have. Just use the right kind of amendments for the potting mix you have for this grow. You need to set up the pots and water with rain water or ground water. Then PH test the run off and see what you have. You can get PH test strips on ebay or amazon cheep but it's likely your mix with rain water will be fine. You won't need Lime. Once you have the pots ready and it's warm enough crack your seed and get them started. As the mix you have is pre fertilized you won't need to feed for about 30 days maybe longer so you have plenty of time. Only wood ash water once a week. When the plant starts getting light green start feeding nitrogen mix like 12-6-6, 1/2 strength and see how the plant responds. Once you have a big bush on your hands that requires more food give it full strength as suggested on the label. The big one is don't over water. This is very important. No need to go dropping a bunch of money on stuff you don't need. Keep it real simple and your plants will love you.
Thank you again. I appreciate the knowledge. The 8 seeds I dropped went into clear solo cups, with a second cup for drainage. My plan was to create a soil to go in when I transplant them. I was only using the Potting soil for the start, and then creating a mix around it. Are you saying to scratch that, and just go with the potting soil and the aforementioned fertilizer? Sorry. I just want to be sure.

Last edited:
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

You bet. Fill your pots with the potting mix you have. Water well and transplant your seedlings into them . Put them in full sun. You will have 30 days or so before you need to fertilize them because the potting mix already has fertilizer in it. Just water when needed. Some time over the next few weekends have a bond fire and make some wood ash water. Use as directed. You got it bud it's just that simple. No need to add anything else. Just find a super easy liquid fertilizer over the next few weeks. What ever works for you. The wood ash water will provide all the micro nutrients like iron, calcium and what ever other minerals the plant needs. Feed your plants 1/2 strength once a week until they are 1/2 grown then full strength once a week until you see them stop stretching. They will start looking funny and start budding early to mid July. Switch to something like 5-15-5 flowering mix until 2 weeks before harvesting. Then only water for 2 or 3 weeks. No need to complicate it more than that.

F

Fckit712

You bet. Fill your pots with the potting mix you have. Water well and transplant your seedlings into them . Put them in full sun. You will have 30 days or so before you need to fertilize them because the potting mix already has fertilizer in it. Just water when needed. Some time over the next few weekends have a bond fire and make some wood ash water. Use as directed. You got it bud it's just that simple. No need to add anything else. Just find a super easy liquid fertilizer over the next few weeks. What ever works for you. The wood ash water will provide all the micro nutrients like iron, calcium and what ever other minerals the plant needs. Feed your plants 1/2 strength once a week until they are 1/2 grown then full strength once a week until you see them stop stretching. They will start looking funny and start budding. Switch to something like 5-15-5 flowering mix until 2 weeks before harvesting. Then only water for 2 or 3 weeks. No need to complicate it more than that.
Direct and simple........thats what I was looking for. I'll keep you updated on the grow. Cheers

Top Bottom