Please help! Are these mites or root aphids?

• Thread starter Aperkins1972
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aperkins1972

Aperkins1972

Where are they coming from? How’s your plants look?
Thanks for your reply! They are coming out of my coco. Especially when it’s drying. They move quickly. Some plants look a little sad, but nothing terrible.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Could be a late stage root aphid. Theyre usually lighter in color but get dark before they grow wings and fly. Legs and antennae look correct.

Do you have a waxy/chalky white substance developing on the surface of the coco?

Im not saying thats what it is, there are tons of bugs that look alike. But it could be if your plants are suffering phantom deficiencies and you have a white buildup on the soil surface.

Do you see any flying insect? Look directly below the lights for dead ones.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Since you were already directed to Arbico-Organics website, consider some beneficial nematodes. They will murder most pests in soil, and do it in a manner similar to the way the alien in the movie Alien killed its victims.

They also wipe out fungus gnats. I had a bad infestation, with gnats flying by my face at the dinner table (my grow is not anywhere nearby). In about two weeks, they were completely gone.

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

TBH, it doesn't look like either based off of body shape. Not sure what it is, but as was mentioned above, Arbico-Organics is a great resource. They've even been known to make ID from a picture like the one you have. I would hit them up.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The legs and antenne look very similar to RA's. Here is a couple pics to compare. Only thing throwing me off is the dark color and lack of pointy butt. But that might be related to its life stage pre-wings.

This bug
Screenshot 20201117 125414 Samsung Internet

compared to a root aphid.
How to identify and treat root aphids in your cannabis grow 1

Aperkins1972

Aperkins1972

Could be a late stage root aphid. Theyre usually lighter in color but get dark before they grow wings and fly. Legs and antennae look correct.

Do you have a waxy/chalky white substance developing on the surface of the coco?

Im not saying thats what it is, there are tons of bugs that look alike. But it could be if your plants are suffering phantom deficiencies and you have a white buildup on the soil surface.

Do you see any flying insect? Look directly below the lights for dead ones.
No, substance on the top of the coco or sides, I have looked at the roots since I have them in clear cups and see nothing on them. The bugs are in the top layer of the coco. I do have dead fungus gnats laying around though. Thanks for your reply!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
No, substance on the top of the coco or sides, I have looked at the roots since I have them in clear cups and see nothing on them. The bugs are in the top layer of the coco. I do have dead fungus gnats laying around though. Thanks for your reply!

Can you snap a few pics of the dead fungus gnats up close? You dont usually see dead fungus gnats often except on sticky cards, but you will find dead winged root aphids easily because they fly into the lights and die.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Belly shape is also different and different texture.
True, but gotta remember these things dont stay the same appearance throughout their entire life cycle. They end up looking like tiny fungus gnats with big wings. Its often easier to identify them as fliers.

Either way if i had this bug id certainly want to rule out RA's. Because if thats what it is, it needs to be dealt with

Top Bottom