Please help me identify the cause of this curly leaves problem

• Thread starter Cannabisforlife
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannabisforlife

Cannabisforlife

Hi everyone! I’m a newbie. But I know there are a lot of people who have a lot of experiences. I have recently encountered this problem with the leaves starting from the newest ones to curl up. Please see photos below. Anyone has any idea what the causes are? Really appreciate your help!

Please help me identify the cause of this curly leaves problem
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
When they "canoe" or "Taco" like that, it is usually from too much heat, or being too close to the light. Since it seems mostly on the top of the plant, this might be an important clue. How far away is your light, and what kind of light are you using? Nutrient overfeeding can also cause leaf curling issues, but usually in a little different form, such s clawed or twisted leaves, or burns, etc. When folded like this, it is usually heat related.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

First thing I would do is check underneath my leaves with magnification for bugs

If I didn't find any I'd check again; and then I'd post more information like what kind of medium you're using, what you're feeding, pH & things like that

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Usually I don’t water them so much until I see the water running out from the bottom.... if that’s what you mean?

If you aren't watering to a point where you get runoff out of the bottom then you are probably building up fertilizer salts in your medium, which can cause a hundred issues.

Cannabisforlife

Cannabisforlife

Yes I would suggest that.
Go flush them out I would put 6 litres through them all you will have to get a bucket for the excess water that comes out and I would say they should bounce back with in a day or 2.
If you have a EC reader you could measure the run off and then you know it's nutrient lock out
Thank you! I will try that to find out.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
So I have to water the plants until I see the run off?
Yes this is the general rule of thumb you should always water until you get at least 5 to 10% runoff meaning you should see 5-10% of the amount of water you put in, come out the bottom. Water as slowly as possible until you see a steady stream coming out the bottom. It should be about the same color as the water going in, if its darker than the water going in then you should keep watering.

Keep in mind most people's definitions of overwatering are incorrect. Overwatering has nothing to do with how much you put in at one time, it simply means how often you are watering. You have to allow time for the growing medium to dry out a little so the roots get oxygen. A good tip most folks follow is to pick up your pot and feel how heavy it is. You will eventually get a good feel for how heavy it is after watering, then it should be at least half as heavy as it was after you watered, before you water again. Am I making sense? Sorry I just woke up still working on my coffee lol

Cannabisforlife

Cannabisforlife

Thank
Yes this is the general rule of thumb you should always water until you get at least 5 to 10% runoff meaning you should see 5-10% of the amount of water you put in, come out the bottom. Water as slowly as possible until you see a steady stream coming out the bottom. It should be about the same color as the water going in, if its darker than the water going in then you should keep watering.

Keep in mind most people's definitions of overwatering are incorrect. Overwatering has nothing to do with how much you put in at one time, it simply means how often you are watering. You have to allow time for the growing medium to dry out a little so the roots get oxygen. A good tip most folks follow is to pick up your pot and feel how heavy it is. You will eventually get a good feel for how heavy it is after watering, then it should be at least half as heavy as it was after you watered, before you water again. Am I making sense? Sorry I just woke up still working on my coffee lol
Thank you very much for your reply! I still have a lot to learn!
Hope you are enjoying your coffee!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
When I grow, using 5 gallon buckets, I usually water daily after about 4 or 5 weeks, but I only feed every 12-15 days on avg. This allows the plants to get fed but also allows excess nutes and stuff to get flushed out or used, which prevents issues like Ph swings and lockouts. I use Promix, which I prefer because regardless of how much or how often you dump water in, the medium still allows oxygen to reach the roots and not become waterlogged, another potential problem many growers face. Weighing the buckets is about the only other way to make sure they get enough O2 at the root zone... you wouldn't believe how essential the O2 is for your plant's health.

Latest posts

Top Bottom