Please help, Newb at a total loss

• Thread starter Homegroan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homegroan

Homegroan

Hi! It’s my first grow. Germinating in jiffy pods and then transplanting to 7 gal pots filled w/ Coast of Maine Stonington Growers Mix water only soil. I was adding microbes, an organic molasses mix, and sea green root food (see pic). 1st 3x had explosive growth. Then the leaves started wilting and curling upward, yellowing with brown spots in places, and growth slowed to a crawl now for about three weeks. I started a few more plants, and they are all now suffering the same fate to one extent or another, whether seedlings or after transplant.
I did a bunch of reading and narrowed (I think) to a magnesium deficiency or overwatering. I tested water Ph and it was 7.6 so I adjusted down to 6.5 and flushed the plants with a heavy watering. Now three days later and I’m still in the same place.
Any advice about what I’m doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Please help newb at a total loss
Please help newb at a total loss 2
Please help newb at a total loss 3
Please help newb at a total loss 4
Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

You were onto dp something with the over water. Then you flushed them., adding more water. So you are right where you started a few days ago, just with adjusted pH.
Have patience with it. Plants are alive.
let her dry out some, then think about taking further action, wait 2 days the take your action.

Homegroan

Homegroan

S
Hi! It’s my first grow. Germinating in jiffy pods and then transplanting to 7 gal pots filled w/ Coast of Maine Stonington Growers Mix water only soil. I was adding microbes, an organic molasses mix, and sea green root food (see pic). 1st 3x had explosive growth. Then the leaves started wilting and curling upward, yellowing with brown spots in places, and growth slowed to a crawl now for about three weeks. I started a few more plants, and they are all now suffering the same fate to one extent or another, whether seedlings or after transplant.
I did a bunch of reading and narrowed (I think) to a magnesium deficiency or overwatering. I tested water Ph and it was 7.6 so I adjusted down to 6.5 and flushed the plants with a heavy watering. Now three days later and I’m still in the same place.
Any advice about what I’m doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.
A few clarifications:
1. First several weeks after transplanting the first plant to the 7 gal pot is when I had great growth
2. I do an interim transplant between jiffy pod - solo cup - 7 gal.
3. Below is a pic the microbes etc., but these really don’t seem to be the issue
1FC0CB55 7E12 470E A9D7 83100F875FA1

Homegroan

Homegroan

You were onto dp something with the over water. Then you flushed them., adding more water. So you are right where you started a few days ago, just with adjusted pH.
Have patience with it. Plants are alive.
let her dry out some, then think about taking further action, wait 2 days the take your action.
Thank you very much! I’ll let them dry out.

Badchoice

Badchoice

Anyone ever teach ya the “dry up too the first knuckle” when you stick a finger in the soil?
nice thing about soil they have more leeway to correct things

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Looks like classic overwatering. It has happened to all of us especially in the beginning. Let your pots dry out for a while and then ease back into the watering. It is very easy to overwater. Your plants are getting starved for oxygen in the roots which could lead to root rot if you don't correct it soon enough. One quick tip I would take those drip catchers off the bottom of the pots until you start to get a better feel for it. I almost killed a run once because I overwatered and the drip catchers filled up. Roots at the very bottom were sitting in that stagnate water which is no good. As soon as I pulled the drip catchers off and dried out the pots my plants picked right up again. I wouldn't be as concerned about PH here in SoCal we have hard water out of the tap yet I have still grown healthy plants. Your PH being a bit off shouldn't effect your plants that negatively. Good luck! Hopefully you can correct it.

Fudge

Fudge

was just gonna say over watering , do you have any way of rasing the pots off the ground giving airflow under them, also if possible a few holes in side of the pots will really help with getting air into the roots and helping ur medium dry out in between waterings instead of sitting wet for a long time , means u can get more nutes into them

Fudge

Fudge

one other thing, I noticed ur exhaust filter is on the floor, warm stale air will rise, clean cooler air will be on the bottom , try to have intake lower down and exhaust centred and high.

Homegroan

Homegroan

Thanks for all the help. I’ve done what I can and the fight continues. I have the (fabric) pot on a wire rack, no water, fixed exhaust and clip fan for better ventilation. Still, looks real bad and I feel like I ran over my dog. Do you think it can come back?

BE679A78 0644 41A4 BDA1 1A82D758ED03
4E8E3897 8799 4BC8 ABC5 40EF9A84A475
B3484562 6C61 473E 8B67 A8DE195ADA56
2BFAF483 1B62 4362 A93C C67BBCAD0ED0
0DB7F356 AECB 4CB2 AE90 8C7DB1A6112C

growsince79

growsince79

Anyone ever teach ya the “dry up too the first knuckle” when you stick a finger in the soil?
nice thing about soil they have more leeway to correct things
The dry to first knuckle falacy causes a lot of people to overwater. My 7 gallon pots get 2-2.5 gallons each watering. That means I don't water again until they lose 17-21 pounds. Use a scale until you get used to it.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Thanks for all the help. I’ve done what I can and the fight continues. I have the (fabric) pot on a wire rack, no water, fixed exhaust and clip fan for better ventilation. Still, looks real bad and I feel like I ran over my dog. Do you think it can come back?

View attachment 1054831View attachment 1054832View attachment 1054833View attachment 1054834View attachment 1054835
Well its hard to say with 100% accuracy that you will be able to save the girl but one thing I will say is you are definitely on the right track. Just doing those few things to help dry-out and increase oxygen should do wonders. Also its NOT an auto which in this situation is a good thing it means that you have time to correct the issue since you are still in veg. I would let the plant fully recover and push fresh green growth before you flip it to 12/12. Maybe let it grow a bit taller than you were first going to in order to let all new growth catch up, and then if stretch is an issue you can do a deep top. Topping right before flowering sometimes is cool because you get the spit "crown colas" instead of one long tall cola. Just a thought. Don't get too discouraged if you loose her. I know the shit breaks your heart but remember you can always pop some more beans and start over its only a few months of lost time. This is why I always have a handful of plants on a constant rotation. If I Fuck one up I can always chop it down and keep looking forward. I never kick myself too hard when something goes wrong because its easily replaceable. If sourcing beans is a issue for you just PM me I got a massive seed-vault I pollen chuck my own seeds. I got all the shit on tap its a pheno hunters dream its really fun to sift through the variety. Good luck!

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

My two cents would be to keep the plant and try to finish it off, even if inferior flower you’ll still learn so much. You learn by seeing.
If it was my plant I’d shear off the necrotic fan leaves, if you leave them they could attract pests.
And see where it is in another day or so.

Top Bottom