Please help! Overwatered seedling!

• Thread starter Tikiknight1000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tikiknight1000

Tikiknight1000

Hello everyone, I recently started my first seedling and it started fine but a couple days ago it became like this. I've transplanted it again with Hope's that it may help. My lights are one T5 fluorescent 24watt light with two 9watt Feit fullspec light bulbs. I also watered recently but only very little. I dont have a ph gauge either. Using tap water. Let tap water sit out for a day or so.

Please help overwatered seedling
Please help overwatered seedling 2
Please help overwatered seedling 3
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Should be fine... Best thing you can do is out it somewhere warm... About 80f it will help set the soil a bit faster and seedlings like that temp.

Tikiknight1000

Tikiknight1000

Should be fine... Best thing you can do is out it somewhere warm... About 80f it will help set the soil a bit faster and seedlings like that temp.
Unfortunately I cant keep them anywhere else but here. And I keep the room temp at around 70-75.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It looks like it is suffering from transplant shock, but it should be OK in a few days. What do you have it planted in? Overwatering isn't too much water, it is a lack of oxygen at the roots, although if the medium is sopping wet, then O2 can't get in. Tons of perlite can help that. Are you feeding it anything?

Tikiknight1000

Tikiknight1000

It looks like it is suffering from transplant shock, but it should be OK in a few days. What do you have it planted in? Overwatering isn't too much water, it is a lack of oxygen at the roots, although if the medium is sopping wet, then O2 can't get in. Tons of perlite can help that. Are you feeding it anything?
I have it planted in Miracle grow indoor potting mix. With about 5 tablespoons of wiggle worm soil builder worm castings mixed in. Keep in mind that it has looked like this for the past 2 days. And I just recently transplanted it today.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have it planted in Miracle grow indoor potting mix. With about 5 tablespoons of wiggle worm soil builder worm castings mixed in. Keep in mind that it has looked like this for the past 2 days. And I just recently transplanted it today.
Are there drain holes in the very bottom of your container? I can't tell for sure if there are holes or just marks on the container. Most potting soil mixes don't drain real well, so make sure you aren't getting a buildup of wter. If the nutrient level of the soil is too high, it can make the plant look thirsty... do you have a PPM/EC meter?

Tikiknight1000

Tikiknight1000

Are there drain holes in the very bottom of your container? I can't tell for sure if there are holes or just marks on the container. Most potting soil mixes don't drain real well, so make sure you aren't getting a buildup of wter. If the nutrient level of the soil is too high, it can make the plant look thirsty... do you have a PPM/EC meter?
Yes I poked quite a few drain holes around the pot. And I wont be watering again till tomorrow I think...depending on how the soil feels. I cant imagine the nuts level being too high seeing as it's been growing just fine with the current nuts it's been living in. And no I dont have a meter.

Tikiknight1000

Tikiknight1000

Well get a meter there the growers best tool .
I just ordered one on Amazon. Just out of curiosity. Hows will a ppm/ec meter help me? Besides tell me info about the water I'm using. But how will that help if I dont know how to alter the quality of the water im using?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
You need ph up and ph down and ph Buffer so you can set the meter up right . Ph is most important for the plants catine exchange . ei being able to use the food you giving it and not ending up with ph lock out .

Tikiknight1000

Tikiknight1000

You need ph up and ph down and ph Buffer so you can set the meter up right . Ph is most important for the plants catine exchange . ei being able to use the food you giving it and not ending up with ph lock out .
Where might I be able to find these ph products your talking about? I'm also on a bit of a budget as well. If there is a method of dealing with the ph without having to dish out to many $$ would be great.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Where might I be able to find these ph products your talking about? I'm also on a bit of a budget as well. If there is a method of dealing with the ph without having to dish out to many $$ would be great.
Yes if you go on google I bet there’s heaps , lemon juice , vinegar you buy the meters off eBay or amazon, or hydro shop , if you want to grow you need the tools .

Tikiknight1000

Tikiknight1000

Yes if you go on google I bet there’s heaps , lemon juice , vinegar you buy the meters off eBay or amazon, or hydro shop , if you want to grow you need the tools .
So all I really just need the meter at least.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

In soil personally I wouldn't bother phing. It comes in handy to test runoff and slurry test soil but I would say a ppm meter is more important for a soil grow. Can just grab a cheap one for about $15 on Amazon

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The meter will measure the amount of nutes/minerals in your soil. It can also measure the mineral content of your water, but it can measure the water that runs out of your containers when watering. If there are high readings, it could indicate nutrient overdoses. It can also help you to determine your nute concentration in your feeding. It won't solve any problems, but it can lead you to figure out what the problem is and you can go from there. Ph doesn't usually move too far from 6.5 or 7 in soil unless it is doctored up too much.

Tikiknight1000

Tikiknight1000

The meter will measure the amount of nutes/minerals in your soil. It can also measure the mineral content of your water, but it can measure the water that runs out of your containers when watering. If there are high readings, it could indicate nutrient overdoses. It can also help you to determine your nute concentration in your feeding. It won't solve any problems, but it can lead you to figure out what the problem is and you can go from there. Ph doesn't usually move too far from 6.5 or 7 in soil unless it is doctored up too much.
Ok just to be sure what kind of meter should I get because I'm seeing all different kinds. TDS, PH, EC meter. I'm confused which one should I get?

Tikiknight1000

Tikiknight1000

I'm thinking of going with a tds/ec meter. It doesn't test water hardness but measures ppm of nutrients in water and runoff. Is it possible to use aquarium water test strips to test ph?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm thinking of going with a tds/ec meter. It doesn't test water hardness but measures ppm of nutrients in water and runoff. Is it possible to use aquarium water test strips to test ph?
I think aquarum test strips should work... it is much better than nothing. The TDS meter will also show the hardness of the water to some degree, as the hardness is simply the amount of dissolved minerals in the water. This water is actually beneficial if it isn't too hard or have bad Ph. It eliminates the need for calcium and magnesium supplements which can sometimes lead to Ph and lockout conditions. Most nutrients are in the form of salts, and salts conduct electricity when dissolved in water. The TDS/PPM/EC meter simply measures how much electricity the sample conducts... the more salts the better it conducts and raises the meter reading. If you have very high numbers, you could be overfeeding or have a salt buildup. Between the meter and a Ph test, you can figure out most basic problems.

Top Bottom