Please Help With Germinated Seedlings! Thanks!

• Thread starter maddogmc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

maddogmc

Hello Everyone!!

Im a newb hear so go easy on me!

I have just germinated 5 feminized PPP seed's, at the minute they are in small (disolvable) pots to avoid root damage when i place in the larger pot's, (this is my first time growing!). They all germinated great within 36 hours, This is were i think im going wrong...i have placed the germinated seed's in the small pot's under a 400w HPS light, do they even need light at this point?

I am using soil, PH at about 6.5, the light is about 2 Foot from the top of the pot's! - I also have a fan circulating the cool air around (getting drawn in from my intake at the bottom of my Jardin 100 tent).

Im scared of cooking the new seed's and they have cost me £40!!

I have searched the forums's and cant seem to find the answer i need! Any help will be very appreciated!!

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
keep them moist

When young new plants need alot of attention, as well as moisture. I'd check them often and mist them or water them lightly each time. Moving air around your plants is a good idea if you want strong healthy plants

mal

M

maddogmc

Thanks for the reply mate, so the 400w light is ok aslong as i keep them moist and plenty of clean air flowing? Cheers again for the reply!

D

DrGreenLean

Yea, mal has it!! Also with moisture begs the question... What's the temps and humidity readings in your tent?

F

farmerjohn

Germinated seedlings will not survive long without proper lighting! Once they pop their little heads above the medium, they should be in @ least indirect light. 400 Watters are not famous for frying even tender seedlings. That is unless they are too close to the light source. 2' should not be a problem for them. I would get them much closer, once they are adjusted. As with any plant that you want to be sure does not get burned, easing it into full exposure almost guarantees no problem in that area.

A side note on so-called direct planting pots. If they are made of compressed peat, you may find they inhibit the root growth after transplanting. Check that. They WILL inhibit root growth! That is because they never do dissolve & the roots struggle to break the containment. I always gently peel the wet peat pot away from the medium inside & carefully transplant the precious seedling. Not doing so risks stunted root growth & a resulting smaller, weaker plant, with considerably less bud weight @ harvest.

L

luvtogrow

Just to add to what FJ was saying, i've found that starting my sprouts under floros, greatly improves, i mean very seriously improves the start of the plants life. I just soak and plant seeds directly to medium with floros already on and positioned a few inches above the soil (cool white floros no heat to touch). When they break soil and are upright will move light as close as possible. That enviornment includes very high blue light, helps keep humidity levels up and won't be able to burn the babies. The development of the lower branching and flowering sites, with super close noding, can't reproduce it using a bigger light to start, especially hps. I've found 10-14 days under floros before moving to bigger lights to be optimum. 48" standard shop light holding 2, 40w cool floros costs me @$10US. I use double that setup to start 20 sprouts in 32oz styro cups. You'll be fine under ur 400w if you don't start too close or push to get the light too close early.

Top Bottom