Plug light into timer or powerstrip first?

• Thread starter OpTikFiber
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OpTikFiber

OpTikFiber

Hey all, I have been pondering this a while hope someone knows the correct answer as I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Should lights be plugged into the timer and then into power strip? or powerstrip to timer?

Here is why I am asking; I have two 600's plugged into the 15 amp-timer ...here this one... and then the timer plugged into powerstrip/surge protector plug, then into the wall. One of the lights power cords was noticeably warm to the touch while the other light cord was not. Just afraid of catching a timer on fire.

What do you think?

budboy299

budboy299

Either way have both lights going though the timer and cord, and they fire up at the same time.
I did the exact same thing, with two 600 digitals going through the same timer. No matter what order you put them in, you still have the same current running through your timer.

120volt line. Timer rated for 15 amps.
nearly burned down the house.

I did not realize that the lights spike a HUGE current draw when they fire up. So when both fired up at once the timer literally melted from the amount of power running though it.

I now run contractors to fire up my lights.

100 0001
budboy299

budboy299

man you said it freshsteppin, I will keep that timer forever just to remind myself!

F

FreshSteppin

ya the hydro store has a bunch of fried up breakers from peoples houses that they keep at the front to show people, to convince them to hire and electrician and not to shit themselves

OpTikFiber

OpTikFiber

Either way have both lights going though the timer and cord, and they fire up at the same time.

I now run contractors to fire up my lights.

I think I saw that pic in another thread or one similar, that is kind of what got me thinking in the first place. And then like I mentioned I felt that warm cord. It is a hearse reminder of the seriousness of electricity.

What do you mean by contractors? One of the metal box timers?

Would I be any better off with one timer per light do you think? Cause that is pretty easily done.

Thanks for any input to all!

Latest posts

Top Bottom