Plumbers Grow Diary

• Thread starter PlumberSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

You'll love a scrog, bit more work to keep it working, but worth the effort.
Yeah, I find it difficult to get everything done I need to do as it is but I'd like to give it a go with plants in the ground. Once they start growing about a foot a week they'd fill that entire frame. Each is about 20" x 30" and I can lower or raise or just leave as is and add netting. Seriously thinking about it.

20190630 103409
chemistry

chemistry

Yeah, I find it difficult to get everything done I need to do as it is but I'd like to give it a go with plants in the ground. Once they start growing about a foot a week they'd fill that entire frame. Each is about 20" x 30" and I can lower or raise or just leave as is and add netting. Seriously thinking about it.

What have your got to lose, if it doesn't work, don't do it again. lol

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Chicken Manure Tea Update

20190630 130454

I counted 30 mosquito egg rafts. Time to screen the bucket.

No discernable difference on any plants
20190630 125808

20190630 125739

Not a great pic but at this point I'm pretty much done with this test. While it has not proven to be any better it has proven to be safe and chicken manure has a bit more N than horse manure so I will incorporate into the feeding schedule. Chicken this week horse the next and then compost tea.

I'll make up several gallons of deluted tea for everyone today.

If you have chickens you can safely add a manure tea to plant/soil feedings, just don't expect miracles.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

On a side note I find keeping plants in pots simular to keeping fish. The larger the pot or aquarium the easier it is grow either. Conditions change slower in larger containers while in smaller ones things can go to shit fast. The smaller the pot the bigger the challenge and my first choice is always in the ground but I gotta do both to insure flowers.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

91F in the shade today
20190630 134040

Getting a taste of the heat to come.

First pumpkin seed popped.
20190630 130034

I've got a week to get their boxes ready.

All but one of the new seedlings are growing well.
20190630 123537

This is the runt on the end.
20190630 123603

I'll give it another week then replace with a clone if it refuses to cooperate. The other three will be added to my weekly Tale of the Tape.

Early pumpkins.
20190630 103515

Amazing. Just add water. This box was full of table scraps, pulled weeds then covered with horse manure. I'll have to find a spot in this box for a clone.
20190630 103629

I had put a couple of Serrano peppers between the tomatoes but the slugs decided to make salsa. It happens.

Time for the rest of the clones to find permanent homes or composted.
20190630 142251

Too hot to do much today other than water everything and sit in the shade of the patio with the bong and a gram of Blue Dream. Now that's how to spend a beautiful Sunday.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

When i took a look at my compost in a trash can today I saw a beaitiful sight, mycorrhizal fungi.
20190701 002912

See the white structures? Fungi. Billions of spores. An ounce or less would make a killer tea for either in ground or pot growing. Spores are sold as an additive for growing plants as they make nutes available to plants. I'll be using this additive with much more discretion as a starter culture.

You know you're a farmer when fungi excites you.

You'll never guess what type of tea will be fed next weekend.

Last edited:
Funk junky

Funk junky

When i took a look at my compost in a trash can today I saw a beaitiful sight, mycorrhizal fungi.
View attachment 878506
See the white structures? Fungi. Billions of spores. An ounce or less would make a killer tea for either in ground or pot growing. Spores are sold as an additive for growing plants as they make nutes available to plants. I'll be using this additive with much more discretion as a starter culture.

You know you're a farmer when fungi excites you.

You'll never guess what type of tea will be fed next weekend.
I do a bit of microscopy from time to time. My friend Southern Hemisphere knew I was doing some and done some his self. When he finished he put the cakes under his plants and sometimes gets magis pop through lol

Funk junky

Funk junky

Nothing,I just...been bitten:)I called it mosquito farm after I saw how they look in your threat,didnt know these are the mosquito larvas.I use the water from time to time when I go to the guerilla garden,granny also use it when she don't want to start the pump in the well.Unfortunatelly for now I cant grow pot in that garden and I have to go to uncomfortable place outside the village:)With lot more mosquitos, thousands of them!!!!I use lavender and other oils against them,but it works just for a little.
About the sunflower:i will leave it with one really big top this time(I will take a pic),usually top them so they can have more flowers and stay shorter.
Hey I forgot!Is that the morning glory?!The one that gives you some kind of buzz?Does the color matter?because now I see I have it everywhere in my garden:)Not that I am going to use it somehow,just asking:)
I remember nearly twenty years ago was living in a flat in Gouda Holland near one of the canals there was three of us in there, mosquito mesh on doors and everything.
Me and and friend got totally munched on all night but the other lad never got a bite. I think in the end we put it down he didn’t drink beer? And me and my other mate were young and wanted to party, other guy it just didn’t agree with him but damn could he smoke a hell of a lot of weed

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I remember nearly twenty years ago was living in a flat in Gouda Holland near one of the canals there was three of us in there, mosquito mesh on doors and everything.
Me and and friend got totally munched on all night but the other lad never got a bite. I think in the end we put it down he didn’t drink beer? And me and my other mate were young and wanted to party, other guy it just didn’t agree with him but damn could he smoke a hell of a lot of weed
My wife isn't effected. Currently I have my right elbow with 3-4 and left ankle the same. Sat out a couple nights ago in shorts and tshirt. I know better but when you smoke a bunch of bt's and a couple mils of tincture well, what's ya gonna do? Didn't wanna move let alone get up. I was feeling no pain, it was nice.

chemistry

chemistry

Reason I don’t do Scrogg is because I’ve go to be able to get in tent. And drippers can clog and I can’t afford to come home to indoor swimming pool and no ceiling

I wouldn't give drippers the time of day, been there, done it, and found no joy in creating maintenance for my self poking wire through dripper nozzles and blowing out tubing when the salts build and limescale up. Give me DWC any day, one rez, lifes to short. :smoking:

Funk junky

Funk junky

I wouldn't give drippers the time of day, been there, done it, and found no joy in creating maintenance for my self poking wire through dripper nozzles and blowing out tubing when the salts build and limescale up. Give me DWC any day, one rez, lifes to short. :smoking:
Yeah have considered dwc if I was to go hydro but I’ll stick to my organic soil for now.
Is consider one of those scrog nets that are attached to the pot so I could move them about.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

You'll never guess, not even in a million years who's plants are getting a neem oil treatment tonight...
20190702 160221

20190701 111353

These are just babies and can destroy a seedling in short order. Not too worried about the larger plants but I saw a group of adult grasshoppers in a shady corner shooting dice and puffing spliffs. I don't trust 'em.

While I'm here might as well post some stuff.

Gopher hole inches from new gopher barrier.
20190702 160702

So far so good. A shot gun is preferable but the neighbor's always complain. Just no pleasing some people.

Replaced the runt with a clone.
20190702 114154

Too late in the season to wait and the clones need a home.

Top of gopher plant
20190702 114814

I've been waiting for this one to show a little growth. I'll put her in the ground tonight with extra protection.

Giant pumpkins on the way
20190702 114736

10 out of 32 seeds so far and I see the soil splitting on a few more.

Until they're ready for harvest I've got a few getting close.
20190702 114337

These are not the giants but my wife loves my pumpkin bread.

Those Velvet Queen sunflowers are amazing.
20190702 114955

This is the smallest of three. The largest one is pushing 8'.
20190702 115038

30+ flowers.

Summer growth never fails to excite.
20190702 144332

She's been smelling up the garden for a month.

3 more clones found homes.
20190702 110934

They've joined their sister clone with the Brandywines. In April I filled this box with pulled weeds and covered it with glass shower doors for a few weeks then covered it with horse manure. I think I'll keep doing that every year.

Time to grab a cold one, light the bbq and the pipe!

20190702 160702
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You'll never guess, not even in a million years who's plants are getting a neem oil treatment tonight...
View attachment 878887
View attachment 878888
These are just babies and can destroy a seedling in short order. Not too worried about the larger plants but I saw a group of adult grasshoppers in a shady corner shooting dice and puffing spliffs. I don't trust 'em.

While I'm here might as well post some stuff.

Gopher hole inches from new gopher barrier.
View attachment 878897
So far so good. A shot gun is preferable but the neighbor's always complain. Just no pleasing some people.

Replaced the runt with a clone.
View attachment 878900
Too late in the season to wait and the clones need a home.

Top of gopher plant
View attachment 878902
I've been waiting for this one to show a little growth. I'll put her in the ground tonight with extra protection.

Giant pumpkins on the way
View attachment 878903
10 out of 32 seeds so far and I see the soil splitting on a few more.

Until they're ready for harvest I've got a few getting close.
View attachment 878915
These are not the giants but my wife loves my pumpkin bread.

Those Velvet Queen sunflowers are amazing.
View attachment 878910
This is the smallest of three. The largest one is pushing 8'.
View attachment 878911
30+ flowers.

Summer growth never fails to excite.
View attachment 878912
She's been smelling up the garden for a month.

3 more clones found homes.
View attachment 878914
They've joined their sister clone with the Brandywines. In April I filled this box with pulled weeds and covered it with glass shower doors for a few weeks then covered it with horse manure. I think I'll keep doing that every year.

Time to grab a cold one, light the bbq and the pipe!
Exceptional! Those sunflowers are awesome!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Exceptional! Those sunflowers are awesome!
Thanks man. Ya know what's funny? That box was designed for strawberries. I put in 2 dozen strawberries starts and all died. Dried up. I didn't realize it took some time for water in the 21 cu ft of soil, 2 cu ft of compost and 50 lbs of sand to saturate. After I pulled out the berries I dug around and found the lower levels were dry, even though I had been watering. Now that I've saturated the soil it's holding the moisture well. I have to dig around to make sure its not too wet before watering. First box I ever put together and now I'm thinking about putting them in my garden.

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

I know, I grew indoors shortly after the wheel was invented and it cost me a small fortune so I went back to my roots you might say. Would love to give it another go but I like to pay my bills and I really like my wife happy and not wanting to kill me.😉
Definitely costs a small fortune that’s why I’m using amazon lights. Plus you can grow a lot more plants outside on your property it would be a waste not too. Happy wife happy life 😂😂😂

Top Bottom