Plywood Or No Plywood?

• Thread starter HydroGuy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HydroGuy

HydroGuy

Im building a couple 4x8 tables on casters that will have a 4x8 flood table on top of frame. So my question is would you put plywood over this frame? I will have 8 7gallon smart pots in each table. This will not be a table i fill with water just something to protect floor and so run off drains to waste. I dont think i need to put plywood on since 2x4's are 16 inch centers and a flood table will be on top. Am i good to go like this or am i setting my self up for problems not buying plywood?
Plywood or no plywood

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

Thanks! Thats what i figured but wanted to be sure before i mounted a permanent trellis on to frame. Good call on killz! I had to look it up but will probably paint that on. Its going to be a nice little design i think. Put the casters on so i can get in between tables

Freshone

Freshone

If it's not gonna be moving around alot it's fine,if you think you'll be moving it alot or putting it on casters/wheels I'd throw a sheet on it or at least a few gussets to add rigidity.

R

rascali

If you try to move that with weight aboard it will "rack" or turn into a parallelgram and possibly fall apart. Applying even a thin sheet of plywood (like the back of an Ikea dresser) ties everything together and eliminates that concern.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Get some plywood on there, even if 1/4 inch. Get low VOC paint, if in Cali only option. Good luck.

jaybodankly

jaybodankly

Some building advice looking at your table. The joists (cross pieces) have a crown or (bend) to them. The crown should always be facing up. It makes for a stronger table without sags.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Some building advice looking at your table. The joists (cross pieces) have a crown or (bend) to them. The crown should always be facing up. It makes for a stronger table without sags.

Was thinking the same thing, but couldn't tell if it was an optical delusion. (optical illusion, but I always say delusion and people look at me funny)

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

Haha yeah after i was done i noticed that and remembered my dad telling me that too. Thanks ill pay better attention on the second one

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

But i decided im going to plywood. Its not expensive or anything just didnt want to have to borrows friends truck to pick up the plywood. Thanks for the help guys!

Latest posts

Top Bottom