Police and DA's not sure how to proceed with new pot law

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Massachusetts voters last week, including 65 percent of Milford voters and 66 percent of Framingham voters, approved Ballot Question 2 to decriminalize possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. Now what?

For area law enforcement officials, the answer prompts a long list of more questions. Among them:

Who is going to maintain the registry for the offense?

How are the police going to be trained?

What happens if someone doesn't pay the fine?

"The only thing I can see clearly is that there is going to have to be a little more time to figure things out," said Norfolk District Attorney William Keating. "This was never thought through."

And the clock is ticking. All these questions must be answered in the next 30 days, before the new law takes effect.

Keating and other district attorneys met Friday, at the request of the state Office of Public Safety, to address implementation questions.

But Keating said the informal meeting led to more questions than answers.

According to Keating, municipal leaders are worried about being sued for unlawful arrests and police chiefs want to know what to do if someone without identification is stopped with a small amount of pot.

Milford Police Chief Thomas O'Loughlin said one of the biggest challenges he faces are legal guidelines that have yet to be clarified.

"If I pull over a car and find three people smoking a joint, is there a consensus that I still have a right to search?" he asked. O'Loughlin said it is now up to the Legislature to take a look at these grey areas and key questions.

In addition to these concerns, there are simple technical details - such as getting the tickets printed - that must be dealt with.

These logistical problems are a common concern among district attorneys and lawmakers. According to Worcester County District Attorney Joseph Early, the amount of marijuana that constitutes a civil offense provides for anywhere from 30-60 joints.

He wondered if someone has less than an ounce but it appears it is divided in such a way that indicates intent to distribute, can they be charged with a criminal as opposed to a civil offense?

"That has really been the biggest roadblock," said Early.

O'Loughlin and Keating also expressed concern about the equity of the new law.

"A kid standing with a can of beer that is worth a dollar faces greater penalties than a kid with an ounce of marijuana worth $600," said O'Loughlin. "We have to treat kids fairly."

Keating said the severity of penalties for underage drinking as opposed to the new law are fueling uncertainty.

"The most difficult portion of this are those issues that surround people under 21 because we are left with such an uneven situation here," said Keating.

Keating said the law creates a handful of unintended consequences, such as the effect it has on school policies regarding pot use and foster care screening of potential caregivers with pot records, which he says are "even more far reaching than just the basic law questions that are being asked."

Corey Welford, a spokesman for Middlesex District Attorney Gerard Leone, said until the new law is implemented the existing marijuana law will remain in effect.

"We want to send a clear message to our kids that marijuana is unhealthy, dangerous and illegal in Massachusetts," he said. "It doesn't change our resolve to prosecute drug traffickers."

One district attorney is already operating as though the new law were in effect. Hamden District Attorney William Bennett said last week after the landslide vote he planned to drop all pending marijuana cases where the amount of pot in possession is less than one ounce. He plans on acting as though the law is in effect now to instead focus on prosecuting drug dealers.

Under the new law, those caught with less than one ounce of marijuana face a $100 fine and must forfeit the drug. The current law stipulates that those caught with small amounts of marijuana face a $500 fine and up to six months on jail.

One of the main arguments of Question 2 opponents was that decriminalization was tantamount to legalization.

But state Rep. John Fernades, D-Milford, said all trafficking laws remain on the books.

"The possession of marijuana is now decriminalized, the acquisition of it is not," he said. "Distribution is still a criminal offense."

Many proponents of Question 2 argued that the current law prevented students from obtaining scholarships and unfairly affected their admission to schools for a minor offense.

"From a personal point of view, I don't want to see somebody not get a scholarship or not get into a particular school because of a minor offense," said O'Loughlin.

Fernandes said he spoke with many parents of young children who have been caught up in the court system because of marijuana convictions.

"You have to look at an election like this and see that the generations that were voting were more tolerant than previous generations have been," he said. "The people have spoken."

Source: http://www.milforddailynews.com/sta...neys-not-sure-how-to-proceed-with-new-pot-law

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
pot.

O'Loughlin and Keating also expressed concern about the equity of the new law.

"A kid standing with a can of beer that is worth a dollar faces greater penalties than a kid with an ounce of marijuana worth $600," said O'Loughlin. "We have to treat kids fairly."

Source: http://www.milforddailynews.com/sta...neys-not-sure-how-to-proceed-with-new-pot-law

That ranks up there with some of the stupidest things I have ever heard. I thought that underage drinkin was a health concern not economic, better make beer cost more..lol

Tex

G

grizz

That ranks up there with some of the stupidest things I have ever heard. I thought that underage drinkin was a health concern not economic, better make beer cost more..lol

Tex
yes it real stupid, would you expect anything smart to come from law enforfment, besides that how many kids stading on a corner buy a oz for 600 dollors, more like a joint or two maybe..

D

Drkemo

Massachusetts voters last week, including 65 percent of Milford voters and 66 percent of Framingham voters, approved Ballot Question 2 to decriminalize possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. Now what?

"You have to look at an election like this and see that the generations that were voting were more tolerant than previous generations have been," he said. "The people have spoken."

Why can't we have more politicians and lawmakers with this type of attitude? Isn't that what Lincoln was talking about in the Gettysburg Address when he said goverment should be "of the people, by the people, for the people"

H

herby

Yea heres an easy solution for them. How about they just go looking for real criminals now since the people have spoken? Just leave the Mj smokers alone and stop wasting taxpayer dollars.

I am impressed by the tournout of the voters though. Every town pretty much passed this by a landslide.

I know a few months ago i went to a party here in Ma and I have known most of these guys for a couple years. This was at one of their houses and later on in the night the Mj came out. I was amazed at everyone that was smoking. We are all older(Mid 40's) I can understand now why it passed. Also have to figure people my parents age(Early 60's wouldnt be opposed to this really. Most of them grew up smoking especially in the 60's.

F

Farmerjorganic

"We want to send a clear message to our kids that marijuana is unhealthy, dangerous and illegal in Massachusetts," he said. "It doesn't change our resolve to prosecute drug traffickers."

Speaking of stupid... I guess pot is only really unhealthy and dangerous in Massachusetts. Sense everywhere else they have done studies to prove otherwise. I would love someone to have asked what exactly the heath risks were when consuming maryjanetom? And where exactly did the danger enter the room? Anyone heard of this new pot going around.. It keeps holding people at gun point and making them do hard drugs like LSD and Heron. I hope my kids don't have to grow up to read shit like that.

Cool post,
John

Z

zerohope

600 for an oz?!?!?!? decriminalized or not, screw Mass. and their prices. The cop was A. probably really over-exaggerating, or B. Fucking lying. The Price of an Oz jumped to $40.00 USD here and i thought that was fucking crazy enough. I guess living by the border does have some perks.

and about the price difference of beer and herb, legalize and see just how cheap the price will drop... idiots... Thats just lacking in simple economic understanding and education. Makes me push the fact more that every single cop should have atleast a degree in criminal justice, not some dumb ass they hired that passed police training..... the system fails again

H

herby

This is interesting. The guidelines just released called for an oz of THC. not of pot.. LOL.. Whats that equate to? like 20 z's of herb?

Associated Press

BOSTON -- Massachusetts police may no longer be able to arrest people for having a small amount of hashish, because a new law that decriminalizes possessing up to an ounce of marijuana could apply to other drugs with the same psychoactive ingredient, according to guidelines issued Monday.

The guidelines, from the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security, say possession of an ounce or less of THC -- the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, hashish or hash oil -- may now be decriminalized as well.

Voters passed a referendum in November that replaces the criminal penalties for having up to an ounce of pot with the civil penalty of a $100 fine and forfeiture of the drug. The law takes effect Friday, and law enforcement agencies have been awaiting a guide to its practical enforcement.

State officials expect that the judiciary will eventually have to answer specific questions about the law's scope.

But the guidelines make clear that existing laws prohibiting the distribution of marijuana or operating a motor vehicle under its influence remain unchanged. In addition, all law enforcement officers with civil enforcement powers -- including campus officers -- have the authority to issue the new $100 tickets.

The guidelines also note the law allows cities and towns to pass ordinances or bylaws banning the public use of marijuana, even if having a small amount is decriminalized. Such bylaws had been unnecessary previously because possession of any amount of marijuana was illegal.

Municipalities may want to enact the ordinances, much like public drinking ordinances, to prevent someone from smoking a joint on a public space, such as the Boston Common. Beginning Friday, that person risks nothing more than a $100 fine.

"EOPSS recommends that municipalities enact such bylaws or ordinances and provide police with the option of treating public use as a misdemeanor offense,'" the guidelines said.

The document includes a sample bylaw prepared by Attorney General Martha Coakley.

Separately, the state's commissioner of elementary and secondary education said in a memo last week that he does not believe the new law affects the authority of school officials to suspend or expel students who get caught with an ounce or less of marijuana on school property or at school-sponsored events.

"We encourage school officials to use their authority under state law and school committee policy with discretion," wrote Mitchell Chester. "Preferably, disciplinary measures should be coupled with drug awareness programs, and students should be given the opportunity to continue education in alternative settings when excluded from school for disciplinary reasons."

While proponents had argued the new law would free law enforcement officers to focus on more serious crime, police chiefs and the state's 11 district attorneys opposed the change. They said it would ease access to what they consider a gateway drug and impede their ability to arrest drug traffickers and other criminals who often first become suspects because of marijuana possession.

"Now, as long as you keep it to an ounce or less, the worse-case scenario is a $100 fine -- and it doesn't matter how many times you get caught, and there's no record of it," Walpole Police Chief Richard Stillman said. "It's a cost of doing business."

Mr. Stillman also said teens may gravitate toward pot because the penalty for having an ounce or less is far less than the penalty for having alcohol. Under the new pot law, anyone under 18 would face the same forfeiture and fine as an adult if they complete a drug awareness program within a year.

B

bongman5000

hopefully this and the other states will start the snow ball effect and get the ball rolling in the right direction

R

RansacktheElder

They're still in shock obviously.....Heads up Bacon Herders! Decriminalized means EXACTLY what it sounds like. Whats so hard about that? As far as the 600 an ounce weed, they must have weighed the person carrying it to come up with that street value. Kinda like when they pull a plant and weigh it root, stem, dirt and all so they can trumpet how much they took off the street. Cops are idiots.

C

captaintrips

There is one question that I have. From what I read they said nothing of growing for personal use. Obtaining it would still be illegal. Hmmmm, how many plants will they consider personal use, 3, 4, 5. other wise I think law enforcement would start pushing the limits on the other related offenses. What about paraphernalia? Would possession of pipes be illegal? would there be a limit as to how many you can posses? I collect pipes so how would that affect me? There is still several questions that will be addressed.

Top Bottom