Police seize more than $18 million worth of cannabis

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

Police seize more than $18 million (AUD) worth of cannabis

MORE than $18 million worth of cannabis crops have been seized in a series of aerial drug raids across NSW over the past five months, police said.

The haul had effectively wiped out a large percentage of the NSW summer crop, which would otherwise have now been on the streets of Sydney and NSW country towns.

But the increase in police aerial patrols since September last year had now forced dope growers, literally, into the hills.

Police fear crops would become harder to detect with growers moving to more rugged and inaccessible terrain, using sophisticated irrigation systems.

Police Minister Tony Kelly yesterday congratulated the state crime command drug squad's plantation unit for delivering what he described as a major dent in the cannabis industry.

"This past summer the pro-active work of NSW Police managed to put a huge dent in the illegal cannabis trade across the state," he said.

"During peak cannabis growing season the police pulled out thousands of plants, cutting into the sale of cannabis on the streets by attacking the source.

"This sends a clear message about police determination to attack the illegal drug trade at its foundations."

Mr Kelly said seven cannabis eradication programs were conducted from November last year to the end of March this year.

Regions targeted included Byron Bay, Richmond, Manning Great Lakes, mid-North Coast, Far South Coast, Coffs Harbour and the New England Area.

A total of 9645 cannabis plants were destroyed.

Police said 20 people were charged with either possessing or cultivating cannabis.

Mr Kelly said the state command's cannabis team was a formidable outfit with units including drug squad detectives, police air wing, dog squad, radio electronics unit and police from local area commands.

Since 2001, the cannabis eradication programs had resulted in the seizure and destruction of 100,536 plants, valued at more than $206 million.

Source:

Helicopter
M

monkey5

Premium Member
Supporter
This is a sad case of nothing better to do !! Same exactly as in the USA !! No Govt. corruption to look into !! No real crimes ...murder,rape,robbery and those real crimes where there are actually victums !! Nothing NEW !! monkey5

F

frankie-smiles

I call bullshit on this one. Sorry but in an area the size of NSW, 9645 plants is a TINY ammount. Probably about 1% of what was really there.

"The haul had effectively wiped out a large percentage of the NSW summer crop, which would otherwise have now been on the streets of Sydney and NSW country towns."

My arse.

The Joker

The Joker

1866.25 ...I don't know what oz prices are in Australia.

P

Planit Growit

All this does is make room for bad cartel weed to flood the streets. Its like they are working for the cartels. If its anything like the states.

MileHighChic

MileHighChic

That sucks but all growers got to be careful. Blatantly planting that many plants in the wide open is just asking to get caught.

A

Attis

That sucks but all growers got to be careful. Blatantly planting that many plants in the wide open is just asking to get caught.

This is true, but at the same time, they should be using their resources for more important issues than finding cannabis crops. I can't imagine that AUS has a good enough economy to throw away money on this... Then again, I don't truly know much about their economy so maybe they do.

B

Bubble Puppy

Im most certain surfers and the crusty byron bay hippies ,will still have plenty to smoke.Its the first thing i was offered ,after i checked in at a hostel and set my shit down.People there "in australia" some of the nicest people youll ever meet .The locals even show you were the "good" surf spots are.I can't wait to go back someday.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom