Poll! 'Scoping out trichomes, preferences on harvest window

• Thread starter J.dub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Ideally, what do you prefer to see on harvest day, when it comes to trichome heads?

• Mostly cloudy/milky, maybe a little clear, no amber

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Mostly cloudy/milky, no clear, maybe a little amber

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • More than 20% amber

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Depends on the strain/Depends on effects I'm going for

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
J.dub

J.dub

My last poll on washing outdoor bud was a real hoot, with a lot of participation, so I thought I'd see if I could generate the magic again, lol! Anyone with an opinion, please -- join in! I would love to hear from growers with a lot of experience and a lot of trial and error on harvest window, especially.

After selecting, feel free to post why you like that harvest window. Thanks!

J.dub

J.dub

I'll kick things off. I chose mostly cloudy/milky, no clear, maybe a little amber as my ideal harvest window. That's across the board for me. From my understanding, THCa is at its peak when the trichs are evenly milky, and starts to degrade to other cannabinoids -- mostly CBN 😴 -- after that. As far as effects go, I rely on the terpene profile of the genetics to dictate the high I'm wanting, knowing that the max THCa levels accompanying this will make it that much more expressive. If I just really wanted a knockout couch lock sleeping strain, I might get a heavy Indica and let it go longer, otherwise, limited amber for me!

bongsmoker421

bongsmoker421

white/milky trichomes = beer
amber = liquor

if you ever smoked kush from the early 2000's and before, you know what im talking about. kush was nearly 100% amber everytime i came across it.
chronic was from AK47 so it was more white shining but i swear the high was like an amber plant.

also im from LA if that matters lol.

J.dub

J.dub

Thanks, BS421, it's interesting how different cultivars have differences in how they express in the smoke while being harvested in same trich windows.

I should probably go ahead and clarify, as it seems like a few have taken issue with semantics.
Yes, evenly clear and amber and cloudy trichs can and do exist at the same time. Particularly with a lot of narrow-leaf varieties, new trichome development can come in waves towards the end, where clear trichomes are forming as older trichs are darkly amber. Some strains seemingly never turn amber, and can go longer, and longer, and longer, just developing bigger heads as the plant fades out, with a crazy wide or multi-stage harvest window. Some skip the cloudy/milky altogether, and yet some strains literally just finish all at once. For simplicity sake, I guess I posted this with some generalizations in mind -- all the trichomes already being formed before the last few weeks of flower; uniformly turning clear, milky, then to amber; peak THCa being at completely and evenly milky, etc.
I'm certainly not against being challenged, just please share your experience with it. Trading learned information is the point. Let's not miss the forest through the trees. Thanks, y'all

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

I like more amber 20-30%, dont like speedy weed. If i growing something leaning more sativa then only slight amber. If its a stright indica then closer to 50% amber

J.dub

J.dub

CBN is not created by the plant. It is created from decaying THCa during drying and curing. The older the weed the more CBN.
Fair play. I'll add that besides age, it's also related to light, heat exposure after harvest as well. Point being -- amber trichs on the plant are converted "other cannabinoids" that are going to degrade to CBN much quicker after harvest. Hence, the "couch lock' generalization often associated with amber trichs on the plant.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Man I don’t know how deep you want to go here but it’s not quite that simple. Not trying to be “that guy” but what other cannabinoid are we talking about? So like CBG converts to CBN and is only found in amber triches? I’m lost.

Last edited:
J.dub

J.dub

Man I don’t know how deep you want to go here but it’s not quiet that simple. Not trying to be “that guy” but what other cannabinoid are we talking about? So like CBG converts to CBN and is only found in amber triches? I’m lost.
Ok, rather than edit how I typed the post above, I'll try and explain here. No, I'm not trying to say that other cannabinoids turn into CBN. THCa degradation is what forms CBN. Amber trichomes are an indication that THC is breaking down on the plant. While not directly producing CBN, it is my understanding that the THC can break down into CBN while still on the plant, which is why I made the amber trichome and CBN connection. The plant makes THC, and THC becomes CBN. Am I wrong? A quick search can find numerous articles written online indicating CBN being on the plant. There's even CBN strains. Again, I'm not claiming to be an expert on this and I don't know everything, so when it comes to the science, all I can do is share what I've heard and read. I'll readily admit when I'm wrong when some info is thrown at me. This wasn't meant to go down the rabbit hole of the different types of trichomes, how everything scientifically breaks down, just a simple preference on harvest window based on trichome development from trying different things. You were right to call me out on how that was worded, as bad info shouldn't go unchecked. I don't mind the turn this poll has taken, I don't mind the innuendo, and I don't even mind being corrected, I just think that maybe based on the energy you're posting with, you're already being "that guy."

J.dub

J.dub

I like more amber 20-30%, dont like speedy weed. If i growing something leaning more sativa then only slight amber. If its a stright indica then closer to 50% amber
I've had to harvest early before and ended up with some speedy stuff, and yeah, it's different.

Have you tried the opposite of that -- letting Sativas go longer, and chopping an Indica a little earlier? Kind of a balancing act?

I grow pretty much for ganja only, and dedicate the lower larf to fresh/frozen for bubble hash and edibles. This works out well, as usually the trichs on lower buds aren't as far along, and the trich heads are supposedly easier to break off in the bags or fats you're using before they're coloring up, and are preserved at peak ripeness, with little degradation.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

My last poll on washing outdoor bud was a real hoot, with a lot of participation, so I thought I'd see if I could generate the magic again, lol! Anyone with an opinion, please -- join in! I would love to hear from growers with a lot of experience and a lot of trial and error on harvest window, especially.

After selecting, feel free to post why you like that harvest window. Thanks!

Some don't turn amber and die first and can give a real "high" instead of a stone when fully ripe.

beluga

beluga

Some people like green bananas; some like them dark yellow with brown spots. I've always liked mine right in the middle.

When external inputs actually allow me to bring a plant to full term, there is a change in the overt glow of the whole plant when the trichomes start to favor the way of milky/amber. I've personally found reading trichomes to be misleading and it only serves to feed my impatience.

J.dub

J.dub

Some people like green bananas; some like them dark yellow with brown spots. I've always liked mine right in the middle.

When external inputs actually allow me to bring a plant to full term, there is a change in the overt glow of the whole plant when the trichomes start to favor the way of milky/amber. I've personally found reading trichomes to be misleading and it only serves to feed my impatience.
Good point. I like the analogy. Especially since you can extrapolate that into how you are using said banana, which might alter when you "harvest" it, i.e. eating it as a banana, or using it for bread, pudding, etc.

Yeah, trichomes can certainly be misleading, especially since it's not as cut and dry as I tried to make it for the sake of this poll (which clearly has been brought up, several times), but I do think it's still the best indicator in the bigger picture, combined with the fade, and "glow" of the plant that you mentioned, water and nutrient intake, pistil condition, etc. The plant is an annual, and is quite literally dying. It can definitely be an exercise in patience. Thanks for your input!

Latest posts

Top Bottom