pollen? breeder reply please

• Thread starter </litz>
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

</litz>

how long is pollen good for?
do breeders store pollen or do they use only the fresh stuff?

thanks

G

GDaze

i imagine this is only with certain freezers?
water kills pollen and without the correct freezer the pollen would become redundant as it thaws

???:flower

P

ProGroWannabe

GDaze....you actually apply the pollen while it's frozen..at least I do.

litz.....We all prefer fresh, but if ya just can't "get her done" (lol), then one does what one has to.

I double-bag the pollen that I freeze. Also, I add as many pouches of Silica Gel to the outer freezer bag as I can to help absorb the moisture.

CBF

CBF

Supporter
i fold it up in paper, toss in a jelly jar, bit of raw rice, in a baggy. ive used packets that had moisture stains on um, and still had viable pollen, just not all of it.

shit will last indefinitly if ya had a nitrogen fancy high zoot unit the sperm banks have, lol.

G

Guano

Collect the pollen over time and place it into a clean vial like a film canister. I really like using a paper plate held under a group of flowers, and then gently thumping the stem. After collecting the pollen, the paper plate can be creased, held over a vial, and the sides and edges thumped until all the pollen is vibrated into the vial.

For a pollen carrier, heat about 2 or 3 teaspoons of flour in an oven to 180F for about 20 mins or in a small pot set on low heat, let it cool *thoroughly*, and mix with the pollen to dilute it. I use a ratio of about 1/4 tsp pollen to 3 tsp flour and have very successful pollination rates. Store in small containers like contact lens cases excluding as much air as possible and store in the fridge for long term storage. Remember, it only takes one male to fertilize one female ovule, and there are millions of pollen cells in a 1/4 tsp of pollen so be sure and dilute it.

Take out only enough of the pollen mixture (1/4 tsp.) to use for one session and use your finger, or a small artist brush (my preferred method) to pollinate a few of the lower branches which have fresh, white pistils. Do not contaminate the main pollen source with a resinous, sticky artist's brush! Clean the brush's bristles with Isopropyl alcohol after each session and let the bristles dry thoroughly before using it again. I hit the chosen receptor branches 3 times on a weekly basis to insure a good supply of seeds.

*Label* the pollinated branches, and harvest your seeds in 3 to 6 weeks. I just cure the seeded branches with the rest of the crop, and tear apart the seeded buds with my fingers. You'll find the seeds close to the stem. Store the seeds in the fridge or freezer, labeled of course, with a little dessicant like heat treated rice for long term storage.

L

</litz>

thank you for sharing your experience (that one that disappeard as well)
can hardly wait..

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Thats realy interesting info Guano, thanks

P

pandabear

Dear Guano

thanks for the advice,.. very informative... how about collecting the pollen, whats the best way if i dont have a seperate male area. any advice, asi dont want them to pollainte all my females,.. well not just yet..

respect

PB

leadplant

leadplant

Nice info farmers.
What about using different males to pollinate different branches on the same female?
Is there a risk of cross polinating which would confuse the results?
Since picking good males is so hard, I figure this might be better for progeny testing.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
I used Q-tips also but i find some of the cotton or whatever its made of can get stuck on and in the buds i fear a risk of the pollen then hitting other bud sites

N

Nuglover

And don't forget to mist your plant, before she goes back in the flower room.

Top Bottom