• Thread starter crimsonecho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Hi farm,

I just harvested my crop and they’re drying. Now i can see that one of the blueberries is a very tasty, fragrant plant with beautiful flowers. And one of the paks smells literally like pineapples. Fresh, juicy pineapples which i love.

I have also been keeping my dinachem and northern lights mothers. Also other blueberry that made it without any hermies smells just amazing. Gets me light-headed i’ll say. Flower formation is not very good on that but the smell needs to be saved somehow imo.

So i decided to chuck some pollen. I’m planning on using a blueberry as a pollen donor and pollinate 2 different blueberry genos i have, 1 dinachem, 1 northern lights and 1 purple afghan kush that smells purely pineapple.

So, if everything goes well, the resulting offspring will be;

-blueberry #3 x blueberry #3
-blueberry #3 x blueberry #2
-blueberry #3 x dinachem
-blueberry #3 x northern lights
-blueberry #3 x purple afghan kush #1

Now this is by no means a true breeding project which stems from scientific data or detailed calculations. This is just a pollen chucking experiment to try to get a grasp on breeding process. There are definitely some aspects with each plant that i want to see in the offspring. These are the characteristics that impressed me most about each cultivar. So i’m hoping for a mix of these genetics in the offspring, at least in some;

Blueberry #3 : flower morphology, trichome color, anthocyanin characteristics, terpene profile
Dinachem : flower morphology, terpene profile, yield
Blueberry #2 : terpene profile
Purple afghan kush #1 : anthocyanin production, terpene profile, trichome formation
Northern lights : terpene profile, flower morphology

Now, this experiment has its difficulties on the way. First of all, the pollen donor i’m applying cs is a pretty little plant, so i’m not sure how well its gonna take the cs treatment.

Secondly, the blueberry #3 seed mother is still reveging along with blueberry #2 and i’m not sure if they’ll keep reveging or go back to flower. Never tried this kind of practise before.

Finally, due to space limitations they’re going to be in little pots. And i mean little. Like 1 litre or close and if the root problems appear i can uppot to 2 litre in the coming weeks.

They just got transplanted and blueberry #3 sprayed with cs. It’ll be daily spray until i see signs of pollen sacks.

Any advice along the way is appreciated.

Well anyway, here it goes.

Pollen chucking experiment 1

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Just be for warned. Depending on the history of that blueberry anytime I chunked with it I would always get mutants. Now that's not being said I had some real winners just be for warned to pop some extras cause you will prob cull more then you usually do selecting. That's half the fun tho. The Hunt. Good luck m8.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Just be for warned. Depending on the history of that blueberry anytime I chunked with it I would always get mutants. Now that's not being said I had some real winners just be for warned to pop some extras cause you will prob cull more then you usually do selecting. That's half the fun tho. The Hunt. Good luck m8.

Thanks man. I’m actually expecting it. I see it is a very “unstable” plant as a genetic stock but i gotta try to cross it with that dinachem. They would be just amazing. At least in my mind. Also want to get some S1s so if i ever lose clones i can start over with something similar or hopefully identical or better :)

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Cs has not been as devastating as i thought at the beginning. It grows i think. The pollen mother i mean.

Also for this experiment i’m using 100w t5ho grolux bulbs. So photos will have this purple hue. I guess purple is just good for plants :D

39D6DAA0 C0D5 4FF0 9CCE E952F763A270

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Thanks man. I’m actually expecting it. I see it is a very “unstable” plant as a genetic stock but i gotta try to cross it with that dinachem. They would be just amazing. At least in my mind. Also want to get some S1s so if i ever lose clones i can start over with something similar or hopefully identical or better :)

S1's off blueberry plants actually throw out some interesting phenos and me personally I like selecting from those a little more. Def give it a try.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
S1's off blueberry plants actually throw out some interesting phenos and me personally I like selecting from those a little more. Def give it a try.

Thanks for the tip. That is one of my objectives for sure. I guess “unstable genetics” has its own benefits. Tho i’m pretty sure the genotype i have is actually a pretty good one. I am kicking myself for not letting it go 1-2 weeks more. But its classic me, usually dial it in next grow.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I’m seeing some pistils on the gals and some browned ones on the pollen mother. Still no balls but its taking the treatment like a champ. This photo is just after the spraying so leaves droop but they normally don’t. At least not like this. Well i should snap a pic before and after :)

516A3F07 3581 401A 8DE9 730D62D434E4

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
When I sprout blueberry I expect to get a couple mutants.. If I dont see them I question the legitimacy of the breeder lol. It's sort of a sign you've got the real deal.

Out of 3 that got started, one true hermie, one trifoliate (but only at some nodes) and all with different flower morphology. I think that should be enough to confirm it. Anyway they’re from dutch passion and i’m happy with them.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Sounds about right. Blueberry makes me more nervous when pheno hunting than most other strains. Always on the hunt for balls...

Yeah that part is not very desirable but i’m pretty comfortable with the genotype i have. Blueberry #3 that is. And with this unstable genetics i wonder what S1s will bring. I’m still very new to this part of cannabis. You know, genetics, but i’ll find my way around i’m sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom