Pollen From Male????

• Thread starter paulycali
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

paulycali

Hey farmers! Hope all is well. I have a few questions. I have a male plant and would like to use the pollen now and be able to store it.

Whats the best way to pollinate a female?

Whats the best way to store your pollen for future breeding?

How much pollen do i need to save in order to breed in the future?

Thanks

F

farmerjohn

Not sure why no one has chimed in yet, cali, but I am pretty sure there are many articles & strings that brooch the subject. I am interested too, yet haven't taken the time myself to re-explore previous postings or re-search the net. Been reading a few, yet can't recall much information. I have 4 sativa seedlings (1 Haze) being sexed right now & will probably be dealing with a male or two. Hope not 4. I'd like to store some pollen for crossing with regenerating Chemo & produce seeds.

P

paulycali

Yeah theres some very interesting and knowledgable material on this site about breeding but it doesnt seem to go into to detail on what i want to accomplish. I have a beauitiful Male Tahoe OG from seed that is off the wall compared to the other males i threw out. He even smells better then some of my mature flowering female Tahoes. This guys got huge fan leaves and i mean you can smell him from a mile a way. Seems to be a great candidate for future breeding projects. just want to figure out a few things befor its to late. Hope we get some feedback asap. That would be great!

Thanks and have a happy farming day!

DJXXPLATINUM

DJXXPLATINUM

man i never like to pollinate the whole plant....so i just paint a few branches with pollen...and then spray them with water so the pollen doesn't fly.....just my 2 cents..dj

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
there is alot of threads on this. its on those questions that gets asked every few months. Guano did a good post on storing pollen. there is no best way to pollinate a female. but what is your goal with this? do you still want to smoke some bud off the plant, how many seeds you looking for? you can have just a little pollen stored and it will give you alot of seeds. pollen stays good for around 6 months. not saying you wont get seeds in a year but it will be alot less then you would at 6 months or less.

M

Mason201

Sounds like an interesting grow and a beautiful plant that would be a surefire thing to do some research on,
wished I knew of a pollen hookup.Wouldn\'t that be special.

B

bluetooth

as kid twist said if you dont want a whloe plant pollenated just do it on a small bud
pollen is only good for about 6months.
i normally store mine in a air tight tub with a bit of rice
and keep in the fridge

P

paulycali

Right on guys! Either way is fine. I would like to use some of the pollen now and save the rest for later.

Also where is the best place on the plant to place the pollen onto?

Do i flower my male just like i would with the females in order to obtain pollen? Of course not in the same room unless i wanted it everywhere!

P

paulycali

That was perfect garden of dreams! Some people have the ability to teach and from the way you wrote that i can tell your a great teacher. Keep up the good work!

Also the male sacs are very noticeable just not super swelled up! How long approx till he blows his load? LOL!

T

TwoCreeks

Paulycali,
I few things I've done that might be helpful....
I usually cut away most of the male, leaving just the top or a single branch, less to keep track of that way. Before he blows I take him to a closet with flourescents so he is isolated, or I have sometimes cut the branch and put it in a vase of water in a room with no air movement with glossy paper underneath. The branch will stay alive for a week or so, certainly long enough to drop the pollen...Last year I had branches like this that grew roots in the vase! I put the pollen I collect in a plastic film cannister, although these are getting hard to find since no one uses film hardly anymore. I use a small watercolor brush, or a Q-tip and apply pollen lightly to all of the pistils on a branch or two or three.
Some pollen will drift off, but I never have more than a few stray seeds that develop anywhere but the branches I am seeding.
Some strains will produce seeds extremely easily, some are harder to seed. Last year I used the same male to seed 7 female strains over a few days. Two or three strains seeded really well, two or three moderatly well, and one Deep Chunk/Stawberry Cough was exposed to much pollen but only produced one seed.

I've always done this outdoors on large plants, this year I am going to take some small indoor females and put them in an isolated room under flourescents with a male. Once they are seeded, I will put them back in the flower room to finish up the seeds.

Good luck....

P

paulycali

I've had him outside for about 2 weeks now in southern california. Should i see pollen soon. Just like i would with the females? Help me out guys! Looks like one pollen sac opened didnt see much or any pollen. Is he autoflowering on me. It was a cali connect tahoe og. Thanks

M

MadBuddhaAbuser

He's not auto flowering, he is actual flowering. males flower first cuz it takes about 6 weeks for seeds to form. the pollen prob floated away

P

paulycali

I put some paper under him to catch the pollen. The lower sacs are very visable as the others are still small. Is that normal? I guess i will just be patient and wait for him to blow. Thanks man appreciate your help

Top Bottom