Pollinating Question With Same Strain

• Thread starter fishmon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

fishmon

Posted at another site with no nibbles yet. Hopefully someone here can advise. Indoor growing for 3-4 years here but still consider myself quite the amateur...and certainly no breeder. However, I'm planning to reverse and pollinate within the same strain to produce feminized seeds. I screwed up awhile back and inadvertently bought regular seeds. The strain is a fam fav and I'm too stupid to know what I cant do till I try. I have no idea if my seeds are from the same mother or not if that matters. I have no desire to cross strains. My question is whether it would be better to pollinate a different plant of the same strain vs making selfie seeds. My logic tends to reason against selfies and go for seeding a separate plant but defer to more experienced cultivators/breeders. Selfies woud be easier i guess but the old saying the easy way is usually the wrong way carries merit in many endeavors...perhaps true here as well. I've taken clones today from a known female and plan to take two from a two week younger plant that is beginning to show pre flower pistils in two weeks. Hopefully, with successful cloning, I'll have the option of pollinating a different plant (same strain) or selfie. Whichever way, if either, gives the most likelihood of stability. Thoughts please. Thanks.

B

Budtirement

Your post was a little confusing, I'm not sure what questions you need answered. There is quite a bit of information posted across the internet about this subject. If you do some research I think you could answer your own questions fairly quickly.
I'm not a breeder but from what I've read; If you breed two separate plants together you get some kind of cross, in other words you don't get the same genetics, or all feminized seeds, even if your crossing a male and female of the same strain. If you want to keep the genetics relatively pure and get feminized seeds you need to plan a strategy of inducing a single female plant to pollinate itself. Then, no male chromosomes are introduced and no matter how the DNA rearranges during sex, only the one set of genes exist so all combinations should be similar.
If you have already accidentally crossed your fave with with an unknown, then nothing you can do with the resulting genetics can uncross that bridge. (See the 1986 version of the movie "The Fly" with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis). If you have female clones of the uncrossed fave, then conceivably you could get one to pollinate itself and reach your goal.
I think that is accurate but as I said I'm not a plant breeder so please feel free to correct me if I've got it wrong.
Best of luck

F

fishmon

Ill try to be less windy. I've taken clones from a known female. A second plant from a different seed (same strain) is showing female pre-flowers. I plan to take clones from that one as well. My main concern is about stability. Whether to reverse one plant and pollinate the second (from a different seed, same strain) or partially reverse one and pollinate itself. Either way I'll wind up with feminized seeds, which is the ultimate goal. So my question would be, which scenario would be preferred from a stability standpoint? 🤔 The plan is to use the clones for the deed. Hope this is somewhat clearer. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Ill try to be less windy. I've taken clones from a known female. A second plant from a different seed (same strain) is showing female pre-flowers. I plan to take clones from that one as well. My main concern is about stability. Whether to reverse one plant and pollinate the second (from a different seed, same strain) or partially reverse one and pollinate itself. Either way I'll wind up with feminized seeds, which is the ultimate goal. So my question would be, which scenario would be preferred from a stability standpoint? 🤔 The plan is to use the clones for the deed. Hope this is somewhat clearer. Thanks again.
From a stability standpoint you have nothing to go on as you have not grown out the seed your using and then tested said plants with your stability techniques.

Enjoy your grow.

Top Bottom