Poly Or Vinyl To Block Leaking Light?

• Thread starter MW7945
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MW7945

MW7945

So, initially I set my grew tent up in my bedroom closet and it fits basically perfectly. In the sense there's zero room left in the closet. This has created two problems as I'm only a few days into my first grow.

1. It's a pain in the ass to access areas of the tent. As there's no room on the sides or anything I just have my small opening I left in the front. This also limits which directions I can vent greatly as well.

2. Heat. the way the closet is set up it's basically perfectly made for warm stale air to just sit in it. And since there's zero room behind it or on the sides, the only place heat can really go is... nowhere. I know I can further vent it out of the closet but fuck that.

So, I have another room in the house that's literally not used at all. There's no power running to it, but I can take care of that easy enough. The room is perfect aside from the windows in it being completely naked at the moment. No blinds or anything.

My plan going forward ---> get some cheap ass blinds in there so it looks natural and put something behind the blinds that will 110% block out the light. My LED grow lights are bright as fuck.

TL;DR -- Poly, Vinyl, or something else to completely block out my grow lights? Since it's in a tent, a lot of the light is already blocked, but I want it to essentially be my backup plan for if I'm opening my tent and doing something at night. If it's something I can order off amazon, big plus.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
You can get large thick contractor trash bags from any store and cut them down both sides but leave the bottom to make an almost 8 foot sheet of black plastic. Two of those taped together with duct tape should block 99% of the light.

MW7945

MW7945

Hmm. Contract bags are usually only 2-3 mil too iirc, was looking at some 4 or 5 mil stuff. In theory that should make up for the other 1% of light

Farmer P

Farmer P

How about some of that foam insulation cut to size? Make it fit a little tight. My friend's got some in his windows and it works great.

MW7945

MW7945

Derp... I just realized Vivosun makes
How about some of that foam insulation cut to size? Make it fit a little tight. My friend's got some in his windows and it works great.

My only thing is I want it to appear normal from the outside. Otherwise that's exactly the route I'd take. I found some Vivosun panda poly, but the reviews aren't too promising. I suppose there's always the option of multiple layers. There's only two windows in the room

MW7945

MW7945

Maybe I'll go with that cheaper panda stuff and get enough to triple it up or something. I won't have light directly on it or anything. Just don't want the room to glow blue or red from the outside obviously.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
You could use foam board insulation and just cut strips to put around the window frame to make a raised surface to attach the big light blocking piece to, then your window blinds look normal from outside but 100% of light blocked out. You could also attach the big piece with screws to the frame pieces to make it removable.

MW7945

MW7945

Does foam really block that much light? I think I saw someones log on here and the entire thing light up (it was his roof of his thingy)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I had to paint my foil backed rigid foam insulation I cover my flower room window with.

When the board is black it just looks like a dark room through the blinds. I also exhausted out of it with the window left open a couple of inches and the blinds opened a bit.

MW7945

MW7945

I had to paint my foil backed rigid foam insulation I cover my flower room window with.

When the board is black it just looks like a dark room through the blinds. I also exhausted out of it with the window left open a couple of inches and the blinds opened a bit.

I'm not gonna exhaust out the window, the rooms actually set up decently for that. Maybe I'll grab some of that poly, see if my light goes through a few layers, and go from there I guess

MW7945

MW7945

I went with some pleated white blinds so it looks normal outside, going to do 2 layers of poly, and if I have to, a blackout blind behind all of it. Will look normal from the outside and inside at least.

Guess I won't know if it works until Monday night.

Top Bottom