Polyhybrid?

• Thread starter l33t
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

l33t

hi all

I have a Q that you might be able to answer for me here at the Breeders Lab subforum.

What exactly is a polyhybrid in simple words?

Is it any hybrid that combines more than 2 F1s ?

Also I would like to know what the correct/accurate definition of the term is , I see its used as a generic term a lot.

Could a strain like SSH , which is: [(SKxHaze'A')x(NLxHaze'C')] or pure Haze which consists of different landrace genetics be considered as polyhybrid lines?

I guess yes..but what about in the strict definition of the term?

Thanks in advance

hubcap

hubcap

polyhybrid is, simply, a plant comprised of many different parents. .......basically.

a three way cross, like jack herer, for example, can be considered a polyhybrid

that help?

R

Rural_GrowOp

A polyhybrid is a cross of two parents that are hybrids. A hybrid would be a cross of 2 different genetic lines. So a polyhybrid is kinda like a mutt. If you trace its lineage it will have multiple genetic lines crossed to achieve the polyhybrid.

Hope thats not to confusing.

L

l33t

thanks for the replies so far

Are you guys sure that a hybrid made from one hybrid parent and the second parent being an IBL/lanrace wouldn't be considered as a polyhybrid?

R

Rural_GrowOp

I assume polyhybrid means anything more than 2 genetic lines crossed so in your example yes that would be a polyhybrid. Unless it was a backcross of one of the original parents of the hybrid.

L

l33t

Thanks rips an Rural,

rips,

got a similar result to what you quoted from another dictionary :

''Polyhybrid

pertaining to or describing an individual, organism, or strain that is heterozygous for more than three specific traits or gene pairs or that is the offspring of parents differing in more than three specific gene pairs.''

I understand what this means but unless you know from the breeder or done grows and looked out for these things I don't see how you could tell if that is the case just by knowing the makeup of a strain.

R

Rural_GrowOp

Wouldn't you see some traits from every line that was crossed? Your right you would have to have bred the cross to really know if your seeing all the different traits or not.

C

Charles Xavier

Greetings

What a fantastic discussion my fellow farmers, allow me to partake:

(this is for you ripz; I hope)

Simply:

Generally, a polyhybrid must have the potential to express one (1) or all of at least three (3) distinct traits each derived from three (3) or more divergent lines.

Specifically, a polyhybrid must express all of at least three (3) distinct traits from at least three (3) distinct lines.

Simpler:

Afghan- short maturation period.
Colombian- Christmas-tree branching structure.
Kashmiri- purple coloration at onset of flowering.

In this example, a polyhybrid must genotypically be able to produce offspring that expresses all three (3) of these given traits.

A true polyhybrid phenotypically expresses all three (3) traits.

The designation is therefore trait specific and dependent on the selection parameters of the observer.

In other words: there is no guessing when dealing with true polyhybrids as all the traits being assessed are clearly expressed and can be traced back to the original 'parents' (because they expressed the specific trait as well).

Sincerely,
Charles.

G

guerilla family

Greetings

What a fantastic discussion my fellow farmers, allow me to partake:

(this is for you ripz; I hope)

Simply:

Generally, a polyhybrid must have the potential to express one (1) or all of at least three (3) distinct traits each derived from three (3) or more divergent lines.

Specifically, a polyhybrid must express all of at least three (3) distinct traits from at least three (3) distinct lines.

Simpler:

Afghan- short maturation period.
Colombian- Christmas-tree branching structure.
Kashmiri- purple coloration at onset of flowering.

In this example, a polyhybrid must genotypically be able to produce offspring that expresses all three (3) of these given traits.

A true polyhybrid phenotypically expresses all three (3) traits.

The designation is therefore trait specific and dependent on the selection parameters of the observer.

In other words: there is no guessing when dealing with true polyhybrids as all the traits being assessed are clearly expressed and can be traced back to the original 'parents' (because they expressed the specific trait as well).

Sincerely,
Charles.
I'm pulling up a seat.:party0033:
Is all of this imformation correct?

hubcap

hubcap

thanks for the replies so far

Are you guys sure that a hybrid made from one hybrid parent and the second parent being an IBL/lanrace wouldn't be considered as a polyhybrid?

i, personally, would call it a polyhybrid.
"ibl" or not.

S

shepj

Sorry to hijack you thread, but is it harderer to get a stable plant with a polyhybrid strain?

C

Charles Xavier

Greetings shepj

...is it harderer to get a stable plant with a polyhybrid strain?...shepj

Stability is dependent on the inherited genotypic profile; if the parental specimens complement each other then the offspring should display stability.

In theory, it is no more difficult to obtain stability with multiple parental specimens than it is with two (2) specimens. The concept rests with the initial selection.

In practice, multiple specimens crossed tend to create more variability in the progeny, but this is a somewhat specious conclusion. The variability is not linked to multiplicity, but rather the initial instability of the specimens used.

In application, if three (3) plants are homozygous dominant for three (3) distinct traits and each plant is additionally heterozygous or recessive for the two (2) traits not expressed, then the offspring produced would be considered stable.

If two plants are heterozygous for exhibited traits and are not complimentary then the offspring produced would not be stable.

Selection is the key.

Sincerely,
Charles.

Top Bottom