Polyploid diploid tetraploid Oryzalin Treatments to Induce Polyploids

• Thread starter Ponky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

phyllosphere

I think this article touches on the future of breeding. And I think it's in reach of the hobby scale grower to at least experiment with.
I'm not sure how many hobbyists will be experimenting with ploidy, but there are certainly opportunities for crop improvement. I know some hemp breeders who are working with tetraploids, and seeing increased yeilds. Triploids are promising in their ability to resist pollination by diploid pollen pollution. Oregon CBD are leading the way in the development of triploid varieties.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

I think this article touches on the future of breeding. And I think it's in reach of the hobby scale grower to at least experiment with.
This has been widely used by black/grey market breeders in BC for about 20 years that I know of at least. The big breeders out in Maple ridge in the lower mainland were famous for using polyploidation to create a lot of the dank clone only cuts that were exported in the early 00's. Pink Kush was one for sure.

Ponky

Ponky

This has been widely used by black/grey market breeders in BC for about 20 years that I know of at least. The big breeders out in Maple ridge in the lower mainland were famous for using polyploidation to create a lot of the dank clone only cuts that were exported in the early 00's. Pink Kush was one for sure.
Yeah Pink is a staple still. One of the top 5 for sure. Cut market is not what it was pre flu.

P

phyllosphere

This is an interesting story, but is contrary to my experience. I ran pinks for many years, Bubba Pink was a favorite, but also Island Pink, Greasy Pink, and many others. I supplied a lot of other commercial growers w cuts, and crossbred and inbred lots of Pinks. I did not see any evidence of polyploidy, which would be readily evident due to fertility issues with the progeny of tetraploid-diploid crosses. I know that there are rumours that skunkman was engaged in mutagen breeding many moons ago, and I am sure others have as well. I'm not saying it hasn't been done, but the pink cuts are almost certainly diploid.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
This is an interesting story, but is contrary to my experience. I ran pinks for many years, Bubba Pink was a favorite, but also Island Pink, Greasy Pink, and many others. I supplied a lot of other commercial growers w cuts, and crossbred and inbred lots of Pinks. I did not see any evidence of polyploidy, which would be readily evident due to fertility issues with the progeny of tetraploid-diploid crosses. I know that there are rumours that skunkman was engaged in mutagen breeding many moons ago, and I am sure others have as well. I'm not saying it hasn't been done, but the pink cuts are almost certainly diploid.
Just what I was told from a guy I knew back then. He grew a ridiculous cut of Pink Kush that was over the top phenomenal but deteriorated in quality over successive generations of clone and was eventually scrapped. He told me it was a polyploid. But I don't really know man.

Top Bottom