PolyShield Sheathing

• Thread starter Stoner Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Stoner Smurf

Has anyone used this stuff before?
Poly_shield.jpg

I am planning on building a standard frame, and then hanging this instead of drywall. I am working around plants so dry wall is not an option (too much dust). This stuff seems better anyway. Here's a PDF about it: http://www.cellofoam.com/BuildingProducts/polyshieldsu.html

The side not pictured is actually a foil/mylar type surface. Now I know there's a huge difference between mylar and foil and I am not sure which one it more resembles. In my google searches of polyshield one site actually called it mylar, but I'm skeptical. It seems pretty cheap at $10 for a 4'x8' sheet to have mylar. Does anyone know just how reflective PolyShield is and if it will cause hot spots?

So what do you guys think about this stuff. It looks like a great substitute for drywall in the building of grow rooms.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have to d/l the plugin to see what they're showing on the link. If PolyShield is anything like the rigid styrofoam insulation board I've been using, works GREAT! In my opinion you'll be doing better to go with all white and use the white side for the interior, instead of going reflective. Going all white seems to do a better job of scattering back light that's lost to spread.

The stuff I use I get from Lowe's, and for a 1/2" thick sheet of 4'x8' it's about $8 or so. I wouldn't have been able to grow without it, by the way, because my basement gets so cold. Keeps the flowering room SO nice and toasty, I love it!

S

Stoner Smurf

That's pretty much what it is. One side is white with PolyShield written on it and one side is a reflective material. This guy used it:

It appears he also went reflective side out it looks like.

Do you know what brand you are using? Is it like cellofoam? I didn't find any solid white foam board insulation at home depot. Lowes is a bit further away. I loath both stores equally, so I usually go close. Maybe it HD doesn't sell it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't remember the brand, but I would recognize the symbols if I saw them. I have a bunch of it downstairs, someone kick me in the ass so I remember next time I'm down there, so I can report back.

G

gooey

i lke it...seems to refelct light quite a bit imho...gl with your grow

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Criminy, use it! Cheaper, lighter, and more reflective than drywall, not to mention that it's mold and bug resistant and messes wipe off easily.

Mah room, sticked out and finished with Polyshield.

Lowered ceiling
Tighter room
Trays
PA190008
S

Stoner Smurf

I went ahead and used it, mylar side out. It's super reflective, my room is air tight, I like it. Only problem I had was that the PolyShield was not light proof. You could see right through the wall between veg and flower. Easily fixed by hanging panda plastic on the outside of the frame.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

Seamaiden, is that with the reflective side towards the grow and not towards the grow?

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
use it reflective towrds the grow

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm a little surprised, I thought the mylar would really help with keeping it light-tight. I used black contractor's plastic, worked fine, much cheaper than panda film. Then I needed more insulation and as you can see from the last photo, just slapped it onto the exterior of the room itself.
Seamaiden, is that with the reflective side towards the grow and not towards the grow?
White side in, this was done before I ever even saw the new stuff with the reflective stuff. That said, if I were rebuilding the room today, I would still go with the all-white. It really does bounce light around much better than silvered surfaces, which is why photogs use white boards to fill in dark areas via reflected light.

S

Stoner Smurf

That said, if I were rebuilding the room today, I would still go with the all-white. It really does bounce light around much better than silvered surfaces, which is why photogs use white boards to fill in dark areas via reflected light.

They use foil/mylar type material in photo as well.
40-inch-reflector.jpg
In my high school photography program we had the mylar-ish reflectors. They do come in white as well.

I went reflective side toward the plants, and it really reflects light. My smartphone can light up the entire 10'x17'x9' room (solid green screen on the phone. I'm going to digress for a moment. Is using a solid green screen on a smart phone night time safe? I wouldn't see why not, it gives off the same color light as a green CFL.). I've used white poly before, and this seems to be noticeably more reflective. But it's pretty subjective, and I am basing it off recent memories not side by side. Without any empirical data it's hard to say for sure one way or another. But my money is on the mylar side being more reflective.

The other side of the PolyShield I got has "PolyShield" written all over it in blue, no solid white side. So with that stuff I didn't have much choice.

Top Bottom