Pool Shock?

• Thread starter Highatollah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
King Julien

King Julien

I started my first DWC grow without RO water and using hydrogen peroxide. After uncontrollable PH swings and horrible bacterial infections and rots I got RO water and then started using pool shock. The recipe that EventHorizon posted is what I use.

It seems fairly forgiving too. I've given them quarter doses of the stuff and quadruple doses of the stuff and never noticed stress or damage from it. It cracks me up reading other forums online where they think that any amount of chlorine will kill your entire crop overnight.

It will eventually throw off the amount of calcium in your solution and wind up locking out other nutes over time but that would take a VERY long time to do and a lot of pool shock in that time. If you're not changing your water more often than that you've probably already killed your plants.

Hippogator

Hippogator

Yesterday, I made up my first batch of calcium hypochlorite solution for use in reservoirs that feed Tropf Blumat drippers. Using one gram of 47.6% HTC brand and 80ml distilled water gives me twice the concentration of the 24g per gallon recipe.

My problem is, the calcium hypochlorite does not dissolve completely in the 115ml brown glass vanilla bottle I use for dispensing. Stuff still settles out after vigorous shaking--have I reached the limit of solubility?

No. 21g / 100ml h2o at 25 C. Try warm your solution a little.
I know this is very old, but just wanted to say that sediment that collects in a hypochlorite solution is a calcium deposit. sometimes it will turn a brownish color after a few days. Won't hurt the plants any, but just a good tid bit to know.

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

I know this is very old, but just wanted to say that sediment that collects in a hypochlorite solution is a calcium deposit. sometimes it will turn a brownish color after a few days. Won't hurt the plants any, but just a good tid bit to know.
here is something helpful that i found.
Ihttps://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/health-topics/environmental-occupational-health/water-quality/chlorine-dilution-calculator

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Lol if you keep your system clean you don’t need it. I grew this whole time without it and tried it and saw zero difference if anything I’ve had better roots without it.

Get a slightly oversized chiller for your system and stop using organic additives you’ll never feel like you need pool shock or Uc roots or roots excellurator or mammoth p or heisenberg tea or any of that nonsense lol.

If you want better roots add phosphorus to your fertilizer during veg and keep your water between 64-68°F you don’t need any special products I promise.

Kneelb4Zod

Kneelb4Zod

Once more from the dead...

Does this stuff dissipate when pre-mixed to a concentrate per 5th post? I wonder cause you need to reapply

Now, do you use this alone, you don't mix with any other bacteria stuff?

DarkCoast

DarkCoast

Once more from the dead...

Does this stuff dissipate when pre-mixed to a concentrate per 5th post? I wonder cause you need to reapply

Now, do you use this alone, you don't mix with any other bacteria stuff?

I know this is a year later but i use pool shock at .02 grams per gallon every 3 days. I've used it at doses as high as .03 grams per gallon with no adverse affects as well.

login

login

So what's the ORP after you've added the pool shock. 3 ml per gallon of uc roots has me at just over 400 mv.

Another thing is I use well water and even with a UV water filter, carbon scrubbers and RO with UC roots was not enough to keep me from getting brown slime.

So now I'm looking at adding pool shock.

Potfairy

Potfairy

thought i would still be able to edit my previous post but i guess not, figured id throw this link up since its kind of relevant.. thanks for showing it to me @EventHorizan

Bleach is just a weaker version of pool shock I guess (per google search..)

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/ucroots-come-on-guys-really.62481/
Just wanted to mention the degradation rates I read about only today. Household bleach decomposes rapidly, both concentrate and in solution. The calcium hypochlorite in pool shock has a really long half life, in solution alone with unagitated RO water it has a shelf life of 24mos.

Latest posts

Top Bottom