Poor Mans Led Grow...

• Thread starter MagicSeth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MagicSeth

MagicSeth

I have been using a light house hydro 135 watt LED for veg for 2 grows and once I even started flowering a plant but changed my mind and put it under my 600 watt hps. This light vegged some awesome plants. After reading and watching a lot of videos on LED light and grows . I began to research where do they get their chips? (CHINA)So I attempted to read a lot of technical stuff and finally just said why not try a poor mans grow. So I bought another led paid 140 bucks for it on Amazon a Globalstar 300 watt led..I would say with the Blackstar and the Global star I spent 320 just for the lights.. I am only going to flower I plant in a 2x2x4 tent and see what happens...There are some clones in this tent and but I am only going to use one for this experiment..The 3 smaller clones were taken during the Flowering stage of my last grow 3 out of 6 made it...It took them 3 weeks to root.. wow...I am open to any suggestions about this grow..

Poor mans led grow
Poor mans led grow 2
Last edited:
MagicSeth

MagicSeth

Thanks..I said to myself does that plant know what brand of light its under or how much it costs? Plants cant read...lol

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

Can't argue with that , but different lights have different light spectrum outputs. From the photo yours appears to be putting out A blue light witch would be good for veg , interesting to see how it goes in flower . Does it have adjustable spectrums ? My led puts out more of a purply orange glow

MagicSeth

MagicSeth

The little Globestar has a veg and flower button .. I have it on veg right now...lots of blue and white light.. This light has 6 watt leds . I know the secret ...treat your plants like you normally would..light is light..I do water less with the leds as the plants are not exposed to a lot of heat...I know guys that have spent 300 to 500 on a 600 watt hps and the only difference that I can see versus my el cheapo Amazon.com light 160.00 is the price tag and the higher price light users are doing several pounds. Every small grower wants a pound til you have to trim those buds. DAMN ... Thats hard work..So if I get say 2 or 3 ounces dry out of this little experience I will be pleased..I will post pictures as things progress...

MagicSeth

MagicSeth

I will say this after vegging with leds I am giving my fluorescents and a 400 watt light to a newbie..LED's rock in veg...My plants are all leaves up under LED'S..Its amazing...lol Its like they want to jump out of their pots and slam dunk that led light....

Tnelz

Tnelz

Led is amazing for veg. Keeps ur plants nice and tight and super healthy. It's bloom where u will see the difference. For the record there are some amazing leds out there that will give u great plants start to finish. Imo depending on what is most important to u u will do fine. I'm pretty sure u will end up with a solid quality bud that won't come close to yielding what ur 609 hps would in the same space. In that space u could grow monster and have a great yeild with ur 600. But I'm sure u will end up with something decent. Good luck to u.

MagicSeth

MagicSeth

Trust and Believe that my other plants are going under the 600 but I am changing over to a new set of genetics so I will flower that one plant just because.. It will be a mini monster ..and I am growing it because I am tripping so hard on the fine cannabis that you guys information help me to grow.. IT ALL YOUR FAULT...lol and a lot of it .

MagicSeth

MagicSeth

Ran into a problem with my 6 inch duct fan..She died..I had another fan its a 4 inch filter but with a 6 inch adapter so I just replaced them..That el cheapo fan(glad I have it) and setting air conditioner to keep the room at 65 degrees my 4x4 tent is 79 degrees...(WOW) my LED grow tent temps are at just 67?I LOVE LED LIGHTS FOR VEG. I will replace the fan in a few days..

S

Scorpius

I bought 20 Feit LED shop lights from Costco and made myself a good veg room and excellent flower closet (walk-in approx 5' x 8'). I have a strict policy of excluding UV light in my grows.
Now I am asking you to reject "conventional knowledge" here.
UV light, when growing and especially, flowering plants, is contrary to producing the "best buds". UV light when vegging, leads to excessive fan leaves (which I just pluck off, anyway). In flower, UV, while it will lead to increased THC production, will also cause excess stem and leaf growth.
I have tested this theory well over the years. The best bud I ever smoked was grown under normal "white" LEDs at 4100K, with virtually no UV for both veg and flower. Buds were tight as hell. Smoke was, going by "seat of the pants feel" and experience was over 20%. Hydro growers would scoff at the yield but would wither at the potency, bud quality and secondary cannabinoids!
As a serious, high tolerance MMJ patient, hydro is crap. Sun grown is crap. Why try to emulate natural sunlight? You just get leafy, stemmy bud!
Want to increase THC? reduce humidity. I grow at 30% RH ambient. It produces some potent - ass bud! There is no downside to reducing humidity to increase cannabinoid production, except having to water a little more! Cannabinoid resins are produced by the plant, in part, to prevent drying. The drier the environment, the more potent the bud!!!
Below, shows what a UV-free, organic growing environment produces. This is one of 8-10 crown buds from a pruned Agent Orange, crossed with mexi-merch. Download it and zoom in and look at all those cloudy and amber trichs!
I might add, while this bud looks awfully green, it is fully cured, two weeks and my curing technique is very labor intensive and fast.

20150421 171017
Last edited:
S

Scorpius

Ran into a problem with my 6 inch duct fan..She died..I had another fan its a 4 inch filter but with a 6 inch adapter so I just replaced them..That el cheapo fan(glad I have it) and setting air conditioner to keep the room at 65 degrees my 4x4 tent is 79 degrees...(WOW) my LED grow tent temps are at just 67?I LOVE LED LIGHTS FOR VEG. I will replace the fan in a few days..
Mine's bigger. I have an 8" duct fan exhausting a 5'x8' grow closet. Sometimes bigger IS better. It is a Home Depot special, running continuously for a year with no sign of degradation. I'm a certified aircraft mech and a classically trained singer. Sound is my evidence. That cheap, chinese made POS is running as well as it was on startup, a year ago.
My LEDs are Feit LED Shop Lights, purchased from Costco! Works great and produces some of the best buds I have smoked.
Contrary to popular belief, UV is a killer for good buds. You want stemmy, leafy crap, go for a nice big sodium vapor lamp for flower!
You want nice tight, potent buds with lots of secondaries, no UV and 30% RH!

Last edited:
Top Bottom