Poorly Topped Plants

• Thread starter ozarkgrey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
Greetings one and all,

this is my first grow and thus my first time topping or cutting plants as well. at any rate when i topped my clones i failed to take enough of the plant. see pics below for example. i'm not planning on cutting those areas a second time, but wondering if by chance i still cut enough off to simulate new grown, as there does appear to be. any suggestions on how to proceed, other than top better next time are greatly appreciated.

OG

Poorly topped plants
Poorly topped plants 2
Seraphine

Seraphine

A picture of the whole plant would be helpful. It’s common to top multiple times after some regrowth of the first topping. as long as the plant is healthy, it’ll rebound just fine. You’re not going to kill it by topping it again, no worries.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

yup, not clear on the pickies....

it looks like you FIMing rather than topping - probably wanted to take a little more off to FIM. but let it be, and you'll see results. if your growing conditions are favourable, it'll recover quickly with some offshoot growth.

to top, you make the cutting towards the base of the stem, towards where the leaves stems are.

don't worry, MJ are hardly plants if growing conditions are favourable. you doing good... just after you top or FIM, or train (LST, SoG), it looks a little odd before it recovers quickly.

Last edited:
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. below are some better pics, over all they look and seem healthy. These are BC Big Bud i obtained as clones around a month ago. so far i have failed at keeping a very good log book. really asses me off that i failed there. i got joe-joe the circus clown and here we are!! many thanks in advance and i hope you have a blessed day. hahah nan i'm kidding i hope you kick this day in the face and make it your bitch!!

OG

IMG 3663
IMG 8382
IMG 8706
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
yup, not clear on the pickies....

it looks like you FIMing rather than topping - probably wanted to take a little more off to FIM. but let it be, and you'll see results. if your growing conditions are favourable, it's recover quickly with some offshoot growth.

to top, you make the cutting towards the base of the stem, towards where the leaves stems are.

don't worry, MJ are hardly plants if growing conditions are favourable...

no way i 'FIMed' anything brother as i don't yet know what 'FIMing' is but damm i want to !!!

OG

Seraphine

Seraphine

Your side branching a good so really no need to top or FIM 😂 again if you don’t want to.

4plant

4plant

You could still find the top shoot and top it. Atypical dominance is something you can take advantage of, the lower shoots will all fight to become top an you’ll quickly have a bushy plant you can shape however you like.

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
thanks everyone!!! you guys are elite for sure!! for my next request can anyone point me towards their favorite delolating videos for plants in their veg state. i'm wanting to start cutting back some fans leaves. on these as well as some from seed. any videos and suggestions are welcomed of coz

OG

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
thanks everyone!!! you guys are elite for sure!! for my next request can anyone point me towards their favorite delolating videos for plants in their veg state. i'm wanting to start cutting back some fans leaves. on these as well as some from seed. any videos and suggestions are welcomed of coz

OG

I wouldnt defoliate those. If anything when they go into flower you could remove the bottom 3rd or so of growth if the LED isnt penetrating deep into the canopy, but you should keep every leaf you can. Plants take carbon from the air and through photosynthesis create carbohydrates that the plant uses for energy. This happens mainly in the leaves. Removing leaves removes their energy sources. Its basic botany.

That said, I do believe there is a time and place for selective defoliation, this just isnt one of them.

Chris Mullen

Chris Mullen

It will stretch out abit soon, no need to defoliate as said by Dirtbag, i have led side lights to for extra penetraion, works wondera, let it get a bit bigger and pin some back, it will allow light to get in without removal of fan leafs.

Top Bottom