Pop Quiz!!

• Thread starter MGRox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MGRox

MGRox

Thought I would do a quick set of questions as a quiz.

1. True or False - It is possible to have both Nitrate Toxicity and Nitrate deficiency at the same time.
  2. True or False - In order for a plant to utilize Nitrate, it must be first converted to Ammonium.
  3. True or False - Ammonium can be directly transported in the main stalk.
  4. True or False - Ph around roots is only dependent on soil, nutrients, O2 and CO2.
  5. True or False - All Phosphorus that is absorbed by plants is used for protein synthesis and energy transfer or cell division.
  6. True or False - Magnesium can be uptaken an utilized directly in place of Calcium.
  7. True or False - Plants ratio of leaves to roots can be used to determine ammonium to nitrate ratio.
  8. True or False - High potassium in a soil lowers Calcium and Magnesium availability by reducing the saturation percentage of these cations as opposed to a "lock-out".
  9. True or False - The primary absorption of Phosphorus occurs in root hairs.
  10. True or False - Coir has the same or more water holding capacity as Peat moss.
  11. True or False - Peat moss can actively protect roots and contains antimicrobial compounds.
  12. True or False - Both nitrate and ammonium are easily leeched from soil.

There we go. 12 questions for the 12th month. Good luck and happy holidays!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
:o I don't think I can answer any of those questions. <hangs head in shame>

MGRox

MGRox

uh oh. At first I didn't think that all of the questions were super tough, but maybe they are. I asked these questions to a friend of mine that just does flowers and such; he didn't know these either and thought they were awful tough. Along with you sea not knowing too!

Crap. I didn't mean for these to be so hard I guess. These are just mostly various tid bits I've read about this year and thought they were cool to learn. I do apologize for these being tough and I am in no way trying to sound like a know it all either. I'm sort of odd with my AS and all. Heck, I had a vacation when I was young to ride snowmobiles. Fun for me was to take each one out and chart the acceleration and top speed of the different models xD. I don't think anyone else saw value in that though. :D Anyway, I suppose this is a similar situation of stuff I just found neat.

I'll post the answers in a few days either way. Someone should see how many they can guess though.....maybe.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ain't nothin' wrong with being a hell of an autodidact. It's all stuff I haven't gotten to, but I'll be honest, I'm not sure of my ability to absorb the information. But facts is facts and the fact is, maybe we should know this stuff, eh?

Skuna Tuna

Skuna Tuna

Thought I would do a quick set of questions as a quiz.

1. True or False - It is possible to have both Nitrate Toxicity and Nitrate deficiency at the same time.
  2. True or False - In order for a plant to utilize Nitrate, it must be first converted to Ammonium.
  3. True or False - Ammonium can be directly transported in the main stalk.
  4. True or False - Ph around roots is only dependent on soil, nutrients, O2 and CO2.
  5. True or False - All Phosphorus that is absorbed by plants is used for protein synthesis and energy transfer or cell division.
  6. True or False - Magnesium can be uptaken an utilized directly in place of Calcium.
  7. True or False - Plants ratio of leaves to roots can be used to determine ammonium to nitrate ratio.
  8. True or False - High potassium in a soil lowers Calcium and Magnesium availability by reducing the saturation percentage of these cations as opposed to a "lock-out".
  9. True or False - The primary absorption of Phosphorus occurs in root hairs.
  10. True or False - Coir has the same or more water holding capacity as Peat moss.
  11. True or False - Peat moss can actively protect roots and contains antimicrobial compounds.

There we go. 12 questions for the 12th month. Good luck and happy holidays!!

1. True - nitrate toxicity leads to lockout of, which induces a deficiency
2. False
3. False - i believe i use ammonium nitrate in a foliar of mine, not sure though
4. False - microbiology can affect pH
5. True - this is a guess but for some reason i believe it has other benefits.
6. False
7. ?? stumped
8. True - it might be the other way around, so im winging this one
9. False - its great in foliar sprays as well
10. False - i find peat moss more spongey and can water log, i use 25-40% coir to loosen it up
11. True - peat moss can be very beneficial but im not sure if it contains anitmicorbial compounds, however its a great host for microbiology
12. False - easily leeched from a solution but can bind tightly to soil particles causing salt buildups.

i was winging most of this... hopefully i did alright!
sküna

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh sheesh, I guess I could have answered #4. But none of the others.

MGRox

MGRox

Ok now for the answers. I had originally thought I would just post the answer and along with a reason; however I thought it better to try and also provide references too. So, here goes;

1.True or False - It is possible to have both Nitrate Toxicity and Nitrate deficiency at the same time.
First @Skuna Tuna That is, for sure, a correct answer and reasoning; good job there!
My intent here was to also point out another way this is possible too. Many plants require a ratio of ammonium together with nitrate. It is possible for many species to have a "Nitrate-Nitrogen" toxicity and still be low on total "Nitrogen" as a result of nil or minimal Ammonium. Ph, Temp and plant species characteristics all affect this as well.
for example:
reference (scroll to page 121, google book so this was closest link)
"Unlike the ammonium ion, nitrate is not toxic and, in many plants, much is transported to the shoots for assimilation. On the other hand nitrite ion can become toxic should it accumulate within plant tissues or in the medium, for example when growth conditions are not favourable to high nitrite reductase and when nitrate is the only nitrogen source."
"For most types of culture, the nitrate ion need to be presented together with a reduced form of nitrogen (usually the NH4+ ion), and tissues may fail to grow in a medium with NO-3 as the only nitrogen source."

A note here before the reference is that this process also requires "sugars" to be completed as well.
reference
"Nitrogen assimilation requires the reduction of nitrate to ammonium, followed by ammonium assimilation into amino acids"

"Nitrate reduction into nitrite is catalysed in the cytosol by the enzyme nitrate reductase."

"After nitrate reduction, nitrite is translocated to the chloroplast where it is reduced to ammonium by the second enzyme of the pathway, the nitrite reductase"

"Ammonium, originating from nitrate reduction, and also from photorespiration or amino acid recycling, is mainly assimilated in the plastid/chloroplast by the so-called GS/GOGAT cycle"

3.True or False - Ammonium can be directly transported in the main stalk.
I would like to point out here that this was intended to be "False" and that would be the answer you would get from most anyone knowledgeable on the subject; however I DID find some research that does make this true. For the most part though, as will be pointed out later, ammonium is not transported; it is rather reduced to amino acids in the roots, whereas nitrate WILL move up the stalk and be reduced in the leaves. For all intents a purposes though, it can be considered false; here to be most strict I kept as true.
reference
"Much controversy exists about whether or not NH4+ is translocated in the xylem from roots to shoots. In this paper it is shown that such translocation can indeed take place, but that interference from other metabolites such as amino acids and amines may give rise to large uncertainties about the magnitude of xylem NH4+ concentrations."

"When NO3- was replaced by NH4+, xylem sap NH4+ concentrations increased with increasing external concentrations and with time of exposure to NH4+, .Up to 11% of the translocated N was constituted by NH4+."

4.True or False - Ph around roots is only dependent on soil, nutrients, O2 and CO2.
Again here @Skuna Tuna That is indeed a correct answer and reasoning!! As well and maybe less known is that roots also actively give off many compounds to alter soil pH. This can occur for several reasons: to increase availability, ward of encroaching plant roots, defend against bacterial or fungal attacks, or to encourage certain "mycho's" or beneficial bacteria.
reference 1
"Ultimately, plant roots and associated microorganisms can also alter rhizosphere pH via redox-coupled reactions. These various processes involved in root-mediated pH changes in the rhizosphere also depend on environmental constraints, especially nutritional constraints to which plants can respond."
reference 2
"Plant roots can be responsible for considerable changes of rhizosphere pH (e.g., Smiley, 1974;Römheld, 1986; Hinsinger, 1998; Jaillard et al., 2001) which arise mostly from the release of H+ or OH- /HCO-3 to counterbalance a net excess of cations or anions entering the roots, respectively (Nye, 1981; Haynes, 1990; Hinsinger, 1998)."

"The exudation of large amounts of diverse C compounds by roots is of prime ecological significance as it is presently acknowledged for being a ‘booster’ for soil microbial activity. It is indeed at the origin of the ‘rhizosphere effect’"

"The so-called organic acids comprise a wide variety of simple molecules that bear one or more carboxylic groups." i.e. the following di- and tri- carboxylic acids: oxalic, oxalo-acetic, malic, fumaric,succinic, a-cetoglutaric, isocitric and citric acids. In addition to these, many other have also been reported in root cells or root exudates, such as aconitic, formic, lactic, piscidic, shikimic, etc."

This is one question that, although I found references; I did not find the particular paper that I was looking for. I will continue to search for it, but I didn't "store" any other info with that paper other than a statement.
The statement from the paper was that approximately 30% of absorbed phosphorus was used for exudates and (more or less) intracellular redox reactions. This would be of importance when using tissue samples to determine phosphorus requirements as 30% would never be deposited into the cells.
(Pi in any referenced literature here means "orthophosphate").
reference
"This element plays a role in an array of processes, including energy generation, nucleic acid synthesis, photosynthesis, glycolysis, respiration, membrane synthesis and stability, enzyme activation/inactivation, redox reactions, signaling, carbohydrate metabolism, and nitrogen (N) fixation."
"Thus, plant roots (and microbes) can alter solution Pi availability by acidification of the rhizosphere, exudation of organic acids, and secretion of extracellular phosphatases"

6.True or False - Magnesium can be uptaken an utilized directly in place of Calcium.
This is the only question that I could not re-find where I'd read about this. I remember it was early in this year and I "think" i know what I was searching for, but can't be sure. At any rate, I will keep looking for a reference here; though honestly this is a Pita to try and google xD.

I guess this ends up being the "take my word for it" question for now. There are many similarities and situations where Mg and Ca can interrelate, so this isn't (I suppose) too hard to accept. Yes, Magnesium Can be taken up and utilized directly in place of Calcium if calcium is not present in sufficient quantities. However, the amount is very small and in no way could provide both. I DO feel though (and why I stored it) that this relates to why Mg and Ca are always "connected" in diagnosis and deficiencies. With this fact, it is possible for Ca to get low and also cause Mg to be low; if it was also being uptaken in place of Ca. Now again, this is a small amount and would be like comparing a car going 100 mph to a car going 101 mph; yes it's faster, but.....

7.True or False - Plants ratio of leaves to roots can be used to determine ammonium to nitrate ratio.
This question also relates, to some degree, with questions 2 and 3 above. We have seen that Nitrogen must be converted to ammonium to be assimilated; but that it also requires sugars. We also saw that, for the most part, ammonium is not trasnported via the stem.
The reasoning behind this being true becomes more obvious. Since we require sugars to assimilate all nitrogen sources; then the "location" of those sugars and quantities become a significant factor for ammonium to nitrate ratio.
In addition to this, ammonium to nitrate ratio is also related to the typical pH that a particular plant is used to. Plants that prefer alkaline soils will generally accept higher nitrate; whereas acid loving plants will accept higher ammonium.
reference 1
"Ammonium is metabolized in the roots, where it reacts with sugars. These sugars have to be delivered from their production site in the leaves, down to the roots. On the other hand Nitrate is transported up to the leaves, where it is reduced to Ammonium and then reacts with sugars."
"As we already established, sugars need to be transported down from the leaves to the roots to meet the Ammonium. In growing fruits and plants in which the majority of the growth is in the leaves (e.g. Chinese cabbage, lettuce, spinach), sugars are consumed quickly near their production site and are much less available for transport to the roots. Thus, Ammonium will not be efficiently metabolized and use of a lower Ammonium/Nitrate ratio is preferred."

reference 2
"Free ammonium cannot stay as ammonium in the root not it moves upward as ammonium. In the cytoplasm the pH is above 7, which instantaneously will change the NH4+ partially into ammonia (NH3), which is very toxic to the respiration system in the cell. The ammonium, therefore, immediately reacts with the sugar in the cell to produce amino acid. The nitrate is transported in the ionic form to the leaf where it is reduced to ammonium. In the leaf, the site of sugar production there is always excess of sugar as compared to the amonia produced during nitrate reduction. In the roots the situation is different. The sugar has to move from the leaves to the root."

"In the work of Moritsugu et al. 1983, ( slide4Fig 5.04), it is clearly seen that there is a difference in the sensitivity of various plants to the ammonium to nitrate ratio in the nutrient solution. Rice, barley, maize, sorghum, cucumber, tomato, lettuce, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, spinach, carrot and radish were given ammonium, nitrate or a mixture of ammonium and nitrate, with pH stabilization or without it, at a concentration of 5 mmol N (70 g N /m3). It was found that while rice and maize were relatively indifferent to the form of the nitrogen, Chinese cabbage and spinach plants died when they were given 5 mmol N as ammonium only ( slide4Fig. 5.04). The size of the root system and the sugar reserves in the roots explain the difference in the sensitivity of the various types of plants."

"In general it may be expected that crops, like Chinese cabbage, lettuce, spinach, with most of the growth is directed towards the leaves, will be more sensitive to high concentrations of ammonium than other plants that send large quantities of sugars to the roots."

reference 3
"the preferred form in which N is taken up depends on plant adaptation to soil conditions. Generally, plants adapted to low pH and reducing soils as found in mature forests or arctic tundra tend to take up ammonium or amino acids, whereas plants adapted to higher pH and more aerobic soils prefer nitrate"

I found learning about some of this really interesting also. Many elements, when it's stated that they are no longer available or lower availability, are actually from changes in "saturation percentages" as a result of Cationic Exchanges within mediums. This is a great actual reason for why "balance" is important irrespective of a plants requirements.
reference
"Excess levels of potassium can alter the saturation percentage of magnesium, especially on sandy soils lower in CEC than silt and silty clay loam soils"

"Adding an excess amount of magnesium does not appreciably change the potassium saturation percentage (Table 4-3); however, the calcium saturation percentage can be changed by excessive amounts of potassium and magnesium"

9. True or False - The primary absorption of phosphorus occurs in root hairs.
@Skuna Tuna yes you are right that phosphorus can be absorbed foliar, but would not be the primary mode. There are a few elements that are largely absorbed in root hairs (Fe, K, P) but with phosphorus this is it's prime efficiency area.
This is something of value as if you lose a significant amount of hair roots or detract from their formation; then you can show a Phosphorus deficiency irrespective of whether it is in the soil, in enough quantity or available.
reference
"The results showed that when 70 percent of the root hairs grew into the labelled soil, they contributed to 63 percent of the total P uptake. With decreasing number of root hairs growing into the P labelled soil, the quantity of P in the plant shoot decreased."

@Skuna Tuna yet again another right answer and reasoning! I suppose if you've used both, this should be a pretty easy one. The reference given itself is just a "normal" type of site; but the reference is provided since it does also include a few references from publications below the quoted info.
reference
"Coconut coir wets more easily than peat moss, which tends to shed water when first wetted. Coconut coir requires less time to become saturated, so it needs less water. Sphagnum peat moss holds 10 to 20 times its dry weight in water, while ground coconut fiber -- coir -- holds an average of 8 to 9 times its dry weight, despite reports that coir has a much greater water holding capacity than peat moss."

11. True or False - Peat moss can actively protect roots and has antimicrobial compounds.
Peat Moss Contains an Antiseptic. This is something peat moss has been known to have for over 100 years. The Red Cross even patented pads using peat moss prior to WWII and it was used to dress wounds and prevent infection during WWII. It's pretty neat to read about how long ago this was used and for various purposes.
reference
"Peat moss has medicinal uses and has been used throughout history to dress wounds, absorb liquids and even block the formation of certain bacteria and pathogens."

"Peat bogs contain sphagnan, a extract of carbohydrate. Within the sphagnan is a compound known as carbonyl. This compound has the ability to stop the formation of bacteria cells and other excretions released by pathogens."

"The water that is extracted from peat moss has antiseptic properties. Peat water has proven effective in treating eczema, psoriasis, acne, scabies and other skin diseases. Peat water brings relief from many insect bites."

This one is probably the easiest question of all and I suppose 10 was also pretty easy. I didn't provide a reference here as I don't think it's needed; however I can easily provide some if it should be needed.

This is false as nitrate is more easily leeched from soil as compared to ammonium. The reason behind this is simply the fact that Nitrate is an anion and Ammonium a Cation. Soils can "hold on to" Cations via their CEC, but cannot hold any Anions to any great degree. Thus nitrate is the easier to leech. This also relates, in part, to why agriculture uses ammonium vs nitrate sources as it will not be removed as easily by rains. As well bacteria constantly nitrify this ammonium in agriculture soils so Nitrate is still provided by proxy.

So there's all the answers. There is some great information in many of those reference links; depending on how far down the rabbit hole you care to get. The understanding of root exudates is something fairly new and a lot of research in heading down this avenue. The focus for the future, as always, is to increase crop / fertilizer efficiency and it may very well be that further understanding of these root interactions will help.

I have one other set of tid bits that fit into this section and also is more good reading.
I'm not sure how much people are aware of "phosphorus availability" as opposed to just providing phosphorus to plants. I know there have been many articles that talk about low phosphorus requirements for plants. In fact, many plants do / can function with relatively small amounts of phosphorus (in relation to other elements). That is not something that evolved directly from a low need; but rather that phosphorus has a more tricky availability that many other elements.

Orthophosphates can occur in several forms, all of which are useable by plants to varying degrees (you can see charts for this by searching "Speciation of orthophosphate ion"). The form that phosphate will naturally be in is relative to the pH of the medium. As well, phosphorus is continually binding with Ca, Al and Fe depending on pH too. When referring to phosphorus in soils there are 3 categories that make up the total "pool" in soils. First you have the "available pool", which is orthophosphate that is not bound with anything. Second you have the "active pool" which is phosphorus bound to minerals that CAN be broken down to recover orthophosphate (as is the case with P bound to Ca). Last you have the "inactive pool" which is phosphorus bound and mineralized that CANNOT be recovered. In most cases, the "available pool" of phosphorus represents only a tiny fraction of the total phosphorus measured in soil.

Because phosphorus is so often not in a readily available form, you often find that a large amount of root alterations / exudations are centered around increasing availability of this element. In many cases involving a reduction of pH in the rhizosphere .

This last tid bit reference is to cover some further oddities that phosphorus can have (be negative, positive and neutral charge!) along with some analysis of binding to Ca and Mg relative to pH. In addition is a nice tid bit with varying nitrogen sources and the accompanying effects of phosphorus availability.
Take note that optimal P availability occurs in the 4.5 - 5.0 range and that NH4+ can help increase availability via root exudate responses.
reference
"Ruiz (1992) calculated that 9 and 20% of soluble P occured as Mg–P and Ca–P complexes for an hydroxyapatite in equilibrium with a simplified nutrient solution (NH4NO3 2mM, KNO3 3.5 mM and MgSO4 0.5 mM) at pH values of 7 and 8.5, respectively"
"Therefore, on top of orthophosphate ions, P can occur as a range of negatively and positively charged or uncharged species in the soil solution, the distribution of which is much dependent on the pH and on the concentration of metal cations such as Ca, Fe and Al and organic and inorganic ligands."
"Phosphorus is taken up by plants in the orthophosphate (Pi) forms H2PO4- and HPO42–, which occur in soil solutions at very low concentrations (0.1–10 µm; Hinsinger, 2001). A pH optimum for Pi uptake of 4.5–5.0 indicates preferential plant uptake of Hi2PO4- over HPO42–"
"As expected, lower pH values were obtained with NH+4 (ranging between 4.7 and 7.2) than with NO3 (ranging between 6.3 and 7.4), due to larger excess of cations over anions for plants supplied with NH+4. More interestingly, they found that the amounts of P taken up by soybean increased linearly with decreasing rhizosphere pH (Fig. 5). Riley and Barber (1971) also found that the concentration of P in shoots increased linearly with decreasing pH (according to the following regression relationship: %P shoots = 0.368 – 0.034 pH, r2 = 0.94). This suggests that root-induced acidification of the rhizosphere which occurred for plants fed with NH+4 resulted in an enhanced bioavailability of soil P in the studied soil."

Thanks for the replies and for giving the quiz a shot! I hope people can get some enjoyment or interest from some of this information. I know I really enjoy learning all kinds of stuff like this. It helps me to try and connect a better "whole picture" of what's going on.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I had no idea that plants were capable of doing a reverse nitrification cycle. I understand the nitrification cycle to be NH3/4+/- ---> NO2 ---> NO3 (being the final result), and for further breakdown to occur requires anaerobes/anaerobic activity to break the O3 from the N. Whoa.

Top Bottom