Poppies and Sunflowers

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

I've got a bunch of really nice looking flowers in the front of my house - all germ'd and prop'd from seed. I've been doing them in the garden then putting them out front when ready. I've never grown poppies before so this was an experiment, and all the poppies basically flowered at very different times so they never made it out the front and pretty much died individually in the pot.

I've been left with a load of poppy heads, which I've cut off - do these things contain opium? Not sure if these are papaver somniferum - can anyone else tell?

NB: I didn't grow the poppies to make opium out of! They were meant to offset my petunias!! :)

But...seeing as I have a bunch of dead heads (!) is there a buzz I can cop?? Tea? :)

Also, check out my giant sunflowers - I haven't got stakes big enough for them, and one is growing sideways on the table. The slugs at the top of one of them and I've got multiple heads coming off it....didn't think you could top a sunflower!!

FF

Poppies and sunflowers
Poppies and sunflowers 2
Poppies and sunflowers 3
Poppies and sunflowers 4
Poppies and sunflowers 5
Poppies and sunflowers 6
Poppies and sunflowers 7
Poppies and sunflowers 8
Poppies and sunflowers 9
Poppies and sunflowers 10
Poppies and sunflowers 11
Poppies and sunflowers 12
Poppies and sunflowers 13
N

Nuglover

Not from the seeds. You get it from the poppy itself. If you want details, PM me.

BombBP

BombBP

Are those poppies papaver somniferum? If not, I don't think any alkaloids will be present but I may be wrong.

BombBP

BombBP

Papaver Somniferum

They are nowhere near as pretty as yours FF. Just grow them once and they drop so many seed they will grow everywhere eventually:).

Bad 13758
Bad 13759
Bad 13760
Bad 13761
F

FastForward

Cheers BP....they're nice flowers but they're so delicate that the first wind blows them to bits. Not really great in my part of the world, but there's shitloads of seeds in these heads so I've got plenty for next year. Also, they seems to hate water.....another reason they're not great in this often rainy shithole called home :)

BombBP

BombBP

I've been having the same problem with mine. It's been very rainy here and they are all suffering from OWing. I like them because you do nothing to them and they thrive like they are on steroids. The flowers are beautiful too.

M

muxee

If you go to the nursery and look for 'bread poppies' they're the ones you want. Feel free to pm me and I'll give you more info. :nerd

Top Bottom