Portable A/C question

• Thread starter ETC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrbong73

Hey man, I just rigged up a window banger for my new tent. $200 when all said and done.
Might work in your situation?

M

mrbong73

Where do you exhaust the A/C heat to?

I built a rect. duct off the back. The hot air dumps outside with the garage door cracked a few inches.
This was the rough draft version.

R

RMCG

Thanks RMCG,

After doing some reading and talking to my hydro supplier, I've decided to go with the chiller and fan like you suggested. Now I just need to get the $ together for the equipment!

Thanks again,
ETC

If you do IceBoxes, go with the 8", you have nearly DOUBLE the surface area over the 6".

6"x6" = 36" 8"x8" = 64"

B

basement botany

Your model doesnt have a auto restart, so if it shuts off via timer it isnt gona turn back on. So the only way around it is to leave it at 75 degrees, if it gets cooler the fan will only operate, and if it goes over the 75 the chiller will turn on
h

Agree with person. However I keep mine on 80. If you are doing hydro you might want to keep it lower to help keep your rez cool otherwise 80 is good for the root zone in soil. Plus you will save energy. When my 1000 watter isn't on the AC is just a fan uses very little energy. Used to run it at 76 but notice no differnce in plant growth or health at 80. I actually use a real portable AC I noticed some of these other guys use window units. Not the same as portable AC unit my exhaust is a drier vent. Way more stealthy and less elaborate than using a window unit in my opinion.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Hey man, I just rigged up a window banger for my new tent. $200 when all said and done.
Might work in your situation?
Sorry, but it's not obvious to me how exactly you installed that in your tent. Can you explain? Looks like you had to do some cutting and stitching.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

If you do IceBoxes, go with the 8", you have nearly DOUBLE the surface area over the 6".

6"x6" = 36" 8"x8" = 64"
Wouldn't you be adding a lot of moisture to the room if you use the ice boxes as an A/C? Probably wouldn't be a good idea in already humid areas right?

M

mrbong73

Sorry, but it's not obvious to me how exactly you installed that in your tent. Can you explain? Looks like you had to do some cutting and stitching.

The tent has two windows on the sides. I unzipped one window, slide the AC stand up so it was sticking into the tent a little.
I made another sheet of plywood similar to the one mounted on the front of the stand. Also a sheet of insulated foam board both with a cut out for the AC.
I attached the two sheets of plywood with some screws.

that's pretty much it.

mrbong

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I prefer portables to window units simply due to the fact I live in a cold climate so window shaker won't work. Also it is 60 here at night during the summer so it isn't exactly stealth to run the ac all throughout the night even in summer. I have never used the heat exchangers but it just seems like it would get expensive.

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

pretty sure its gonna stink. Portables blow stink hella bad.I don`t know about the window a/c but pretty sure its exhanging air. I bought a portable from the hydro shop awhile back and was told it doesn`t exchange air. Thats why it comes with 2 hoses. Intake and Exhaust. Bullshit man that thing cooled the room but put my grow on blast BIG TIME.. I finished the run and went to the shop and said what the fuck. I ended up getting a mini split for cost. I think the window ac would be better for you because they are cheaper and the portable blow stink anways.

B

basement botany

I do not have any problems with smell coming out the exhaust but probably depends on the model I suppose. A simple solution would be cover the intake of the AC portable or window unit with active carbon imbedded prefilter material That would probably do the trick. As far as price goes I paid 100 bucks for a sweet portable on craigslist. People buy them thinking they are going to cool a whole house with them and end up selling them cheap. There are deals to be had. And like I said in another post. There are alot of places a window unit just isn't viable period. I have seen some of these crazy contraptons you guys have built they aren't stealty and require alot of extra work to get them in place. Sure will look weird when you are running an AC when it's cool enough outside to just open a window. Plus some jag weed could push it in or tear it out to gain access to your home or where ever you grow. Am I saying I hate window units no they serve their purpose and some cases I am sure they are the best option. But I think the goal here is to inform people so they can choose whats best in their situation.

B

basement botany

I realized another reason why I don't have issue with smell. I move air from one side of the room to the other. Intakes on one side and exhaust on the other. I move alot of air. The portable sits right under the fresh air intake up against the wall. the smell never has a chance to enter the unit it's all being pulled toward the exhaust. Exhaust being giant carbon filter which dumps into main body of the basement.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

2 reasons.

They are pricey.

They ratted on everyone during Operation Green Merchant.
Oh shit, they are the one's that ratted? I heard about that.

Bummer, they have can fan combos for half off right now and I was gonna pick one up. Damn. No way I'll shop there now though. Fuck those rats.

Top Bottom